Train toilets

A few:

quite desperate after a few beers, glad to find the toilet is in service, but... oh, there’s a big pool of pee in the toilet. Did the last person not flush? Press the button, and the flush squirts a bit more water into the bowl, but doesn’t suck any out. Ok, so the tank’s full. Sounds like a good time to do what I used to do as a student - piss in the sink! Which also doesn’t drain, so now there are pools of pee in the toilet and also the sink...

the older style of European train: when you flush, you seen the track rushing by under you.

virgin trains now have a recorded message with a a girl’s voice saying “hello, I’m your toilet”, before telling you about things you shouldn’t put down it (paper towels, mostly).

Somewhere (maybe Portsmouth?) I distinctly remember urinals which had, rather than a drain, just drained into the sea below. It was the slabs on the wall with a gutter design.

That's pretty cool - I would have done exactly the same - although at that point I may have been tempted to keep flushing until the bowl was completly full and then pee on the floor so it looked like an overflow.

Toilets on trains in the UK have only fairly recently moved to using holding tanks rather than flushing directly onto the track.  Previously, most had typical porecelain toilets with a u bend and water trap, but the outlet then flushed straight to the track.  Hence the reason that there were always signs saying do not use the toilet whilst the train is in a station.   The evidence of people ignoring that request was clear - piles of tissue on the track in the station platforms.

There are still a few of those type of toilets left, but they are being outlawed by various legislation.     Obviously they required less maintenance - no pumping out, no tanks and pipework to service, no problems with blockages etc. No overflowing, but apparently people who serviced the trains were less than impressed when the train was over the inspection pit and they went underneath to do work and found toilet tissue and other things sitting on the chassis.

There are still plenty of those old flush to track toilets on preserved railways.

16 hours ago, oliver2 said:

virgin trains now have a recorded message with a a girl’s voice saying “hello, I’m your toilet”,

I would be constantly thinking that I wish the girl in question would actually be my toilet.

• Like 1

I’ve had bad enough luck with train toilets that I try to go pee somewhere else before getting on the train, often a quiet corner of the platform or the station car park, but the other day there wasn’t time!

14 hours ago, oliver2 said:

I’ve had bad enough luck with train toilets that I try to go pee somewhere else before getting on the train, often a quiet corner of the platform or the station car park, but the other day there wasn’t time!

Totally agree.  I usually pee in the car park or a quiet side road before getting on the train and the same when I get to the other end.