Watching people pee: a mainstream interest?

I have often noticed that people who do not regard themselves as pee fetishists at all, and who often profess disgust or distaste at the idea of "golden showers" or suchlike, nevertheless often do enjoy watching their partners pee, or themselves peeing in front of their partners.

I once knew a guy and his then girlfriend who quite often watched each other pee, and thought it normal enough to make no secret of it in front of trusted friends. But when they were in the shower together once and he decided to start peeing on her she reacted with absolute horror and disgust, according to his account.

I also had a female friend a while back who had an anything goes attitude to sex (unfortunately I had befriended her on the basis of being better than all those other guys and liking her for who she was rather than just wanting sex, and she kind of decided that anything sexual between us would "ruin our friendship"). But even she professed a distaste for "golden showers" and such. One time, she was telling me about an ex-boyfriend who once asked her to pee on him, but she made it clear that it took a lot of persuasion, she only did it for his enjoyment, couldn't understand what he got out of it, and wouldn't let him near her afterwards.

And yet, she made no secret of the fact that she had enjoyed seeing this or that guy pee, and had sometimes offered to let guys watch her do so. And there was one time in my flat when she needed to pee, and asked if she could use my toilet. I said "sure" but then remembered that the bulb had blown and I hadn't gotten around to replacing it. So I told her to hang on a minute while I put a new bulb in. But she simply told me not to bother, saying that she would just leave the door open.

I myself was in the adjacent kitchen making a cup of tea, so when she sat on the toilet she was in full view of me. I didn't look her way at first at all, but could clearly hear the somewhat loud hissing accompanied by her pee splashing against the porcelain. And it was so sexy to hear. She was talking to me about something or other at the time, but then said that it was ok if I looked at her, she didn't mind. So I faced her, seeing her sat on the toilet as the sound of her peeing continued, and as we continued to talk. Upon finishing, she grabbed some tissue and stood up, wiping herself briefly in full view of me before pulling her jeans and panties up, giving me a brief but very clear view of her muff and blonde pubic hair.

I have also known numerous others who show signs of getting off on watching peeing or being watched peeing, when clearly not into other aspects of our fetish, at least not openly.

I suspect that watching each other pee, whilst probably not at the top of the list of turn ons for most, is nevertheless something so commonly enjoyed as to possibly be a majority - ie mainstream - interest. Perhaps those of us truly into peeing should focus attention on this area when it comes to encouraging the acceptability of our fetish? And it might well be the best place to start when broaching the subject of pee with a partner, and only moving on very gradually from there.

• 4 months later...

I quite agree, Steve! I think a quite large minority, if not most, folks, women as well as women, are what I call "pee-curious".

I've found a good place to, er, research this is out on the trails. I've taken day hikes with dozens of women and it's often more practical, or at least seen as less odd, to pee within sight of your partner than to walk some distance away. Countless times I've looked over and caught her looking back, and usually with a big smile across her face.