Bladder Capacity During Pregnancy

I thought you all should take a look at this interesting study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5876278/

In the study, it found that women tended to have a MUCH larger than normal bladder immediately following delivery of a baby. One woman even managed to pee 1900 ml (1.9 liters) after she gave birth, though the 75th percentile was 618 ml. I could only imagine who that woman's sexual partner was before she got pregnant...The normal bladder capacity may be only 400-500 ml in non-pregnant women, but it mentioned that bladder capacities in women can reach and exceed 1000 ml during pregnancy, because a woman's bladder has to adapt to a growing baby in the uterus!

If it has been documented that women have peed up to 1900 ml following delivery of a baby, why do there seem to be so few women who can pee more than 1 liter in other circumstances hahahaha?

7 minutes ago, Simpfan said:

My guess is that the amount of pee expelled from the bladder is related to the amount she is able to store between voids.

That sounds logical.

7 minutes ago, Simpfan said:

I have given birth five times and this is said to weaken the pelvic floor, but aside from a small amount of stress incontinence (if I sneeze in the morning before I manage to get to the bathroom, a gush escapes me), I have not experienced problems. 

What does it take to make you sneeze?

11 minutes ago, Simpfan said:

I had a big bladder before having kids, and I still do. 

That sounds more the exception than the rule. Raj is going to want to do more research on you. I may want to assist.

• Haha 1
On 3/5/2020 at 10:47 PM, Simpfan said:

My guess is that the amount of pee expelled from the bladder is related to the amount she is able to store between voids. I have given birth five times and this is said to weaken the pelvic floor, but aside from a small amount of stress incontinence (if I sneeze in the morning before I manage to get to the bathroom, a gush escapes me), I have not experienced problems. I had a big bladder before having kids, and I still do. 

Did they measure how much you peed after you gave birth at the hospital?

Does surprise me a bit given that many women end up incontinent to some extent after giving birth - most commonly stress leakage from a weak pelvic floor, less commonly more severe damage such as nerve damage or tearing, leading to urge or total incontinence, and being in nappies for months, years or even lifelong as a result. But physical bladder capacity is a different thing, and the stretching etc. that takes place during pregnancy may increase that in many cases.

• 1 month later...