Measuring Bladder Capacity -It's More Than I Thought

This morning I had a ultrasound done to check if my prostate is causing any urinary retention or incontinence issues.  Apparently our bladder  holds  about 25%more than what we  measure when we urinate. Even if you feel empty there is still some pee in there.

I was to drink 1 liter of liquid one hour before my appointment. Even though I was concerned about my ability to hold it , I made it an hour and a half. I wanted to be adequately full to get it over with quickly. I was plenty full and then some by the time I got there. Unfortunately  the tec was about 40 minutes late.

By that time my bladder was stretched and, I was getting desperate, sitting very stiffly, and starting to squirm. I was getting worried I was going to leak.

Finally he took me in. Although he probably was not pushing very hard, it caused sharp pain in my bladder, which was rock hard. This was the worst I had to pee in a long time.

All of this is not news if you have had a ultrasound done of your bladder or pelvic area. But this  part surprised me. He said I was doing a good job of holding it, as my bladder was very distended, appearing large on the image. He said  I was holding 975 Ml , noting that was almost a liter.

Then it was time to pee, which I did hard, full stream for a good minute.  It went in the toilet, and was not physically measured .I Then another look to see if I was empty.

According to the image, I voided 750ml, leaving just over 200ml inside me.  He said this was completely normal as we routinely urinate only about 66-75% of our bladders contents. The rest stays behind.  I didn't ask about how my bladder being stretched affected that. 

So apparently for total bladder capacity is 25% more than what you measure after a hold. 

• Like 1
  • Hot 1
  • 3 years later...