Philosophy/Metaphysics Thread.

27sluts

I'll begin with this.

You have a body - you are not the body.

You have a mind - you are not your mind.

You have emotions - you are not your emotions.

You are Consciousness accessing the physical realm in a physical body.

Watched a presentation the other day and the dude said you don't even own your body - what happens when you 'die' - you leave your body behind!

Finally - where do thoughts come from?

Come on people :wink: Surely I'm not the only deep thinker here!

Where did we (ALL) come from ?

WHERE ?

What was there prior to the physical realm ?

WHAT/Who created ALL this ?

I don't beLIEve in the religious concept of g_d. Anything religion offers I avoid!

However, their must be 'something'.

As the Tao says:-

The Tao that can be spoken is not the eternal Tao

The name that can be named is not the eternal name

I'll begin with this.

You have a body - you are not the body.

You have a mind - you are not your mind.

You have emotions - you are not your emotions.

You are Consciousness accessing the physical realm in a physical body.

Watched a presentation the other day and the dude said you don't even own your body - what happens when you 'die' - you leave your body behind!

Finally - where do thoughts come from?

Well alright. I guess we have a body. We probably wouldn't define ourselves as "the body". If you want to think of it that way, we're more of a conscience inhabiting a body. Seems odd to think of it that way.

Kind of an odd choice of phrasing - I could make the argument using your logic here that I have a cup, but I am not the cup. Well, no shit!

In theory, our body is constantly changing. Cells die and are replaced by new living cells, so theoretically we are a different person today than we were yesterday. That isn't some higher thinking or some existential crap though, that's just science. Pure, wonderful science.

Thoughts come from our brain. We have an incredibly complex organ up there which generates all sorts of weird and wonderful thoughts, emotions, feelings, desires...

Come on people :wink: Surely I'm not the only deep thinker here!

Where did we (ALL) come from ?

WHERE ?

What was there prior to the physical realm ?

WHAT/Who created ALL this ?

I don't beLIEve in the religious concept of g_d. Anything religion offers I avoid!

However, their must be 'something'.

As the Tao says:-

The Tao that can be spoken is not the eternal Tao

The name that can be named is not the eternal name

I take the scientific approach - we evolved. Big bang > present day and all the weird and wonderful things in between. I have no idea what you mean when you refer to the "physical realm", so I don't know what was there before it.

There is no "who". Science created it, I guess. The universe. The cosmos. Whatever. I share your lack of religious belief in terms of there being some higher power/deity that created our earth and everything on it. I wouldn't go so far as to say "anything religion offers, I avoid", however. I think that some aspects of some religions could be highly beneficial. The idea of living peacefully, treating others as you would have them treat you, etc. Granted, you don't need religion to have morals like this, but I am replying to your idea of religious avoidance.

I have no real knowledge or experience of Taoism, so commenting on your last point is difficult for me. Given that the Tao is apparently not a "thing", but rather the "order of the universe" (apparently), I'm not sure how it relates to your desire to look for "something" (in absence of religion). Also odd, as Taoism apparently has a number of interpretations, including several engrained in religion...

Not sure what you were after as a response, but if it was a form of discussion, I hope I have contributed something of value.

• Like 1