Hiking trip part 4 (the ferry)

When we woke up the whole group knew day four was going to be different than the rest we had hiked so far. In the middle of the trail there's a family that lives in a cabin in the summertime and runs a ferry through a river blocking the trail off. They only run four times a day so we had to plan ahead on the map where to take breaks to get to the docks by exactly noon or earlier. We got ready and began the hike.

The beginning of the trail was mostly calm and decently flat, even if on a cliff side. On the way our first break was after an hour and twenty minutes of straight hiking and most of us were eager to find somewhere to sit down for ten minutes. As soon as we did it was obvious who had to pee, we had all gotten in the habit of leaving our packs on excapt during meals and when we had to use the bathroom. I unclipped my bag from it's strap across my torso and found somewhere off in the woods to water. Three other girls took off their bags and went into the woods roughly near where I was. I could hear a stream in the not too far off distance as I was pissing into a fern just behind a nurse log. I looked around the woods genuinely just enjoying the scenery when I noticed on the ground under a fallen tree where there was a little dip there was a stream running into a puddle of it's own design. I walk back just a few feet when Shannon walks out from around the same area. I didn't see her at all, just the stream trailing off into a puddle, but even that was enough to keep me smiling inside. 

We continued on the trail and walked our way to the dock by 11:20 which gave us a really nice break to properly relax for a while after half rushing our way there since the morning. Forty minutes later a native woman came into sight on the down the river steering a large motorboat that could ten at a time including our bags so we boated over in shifts. It wasn't until she got closer to the dock that I noticed she had her black lab with her in a life jacket. He was super friendly and it was nice to get some puppy love in between and during lunch. Not erotic or relevant to the story much but, puppy love! They'd set up a little cafeteria and did actually served a three meal menu of pretty standard, long lasting but really good ingredients. Once we were done our lunch we thanked them and continued to hike over mostly freshly laid boardwalk that reminded me of cedar incense. The mostly pine woods were absolutely covered in Salal and we were practically bushing wacking parts of the overgrowth on the boardwalk. Eventually we reached a part of the trail that was dirt with roots growing over parts of the thin path we found an area to rest with a little side path that led to what would be a cliff side view of the beach had it not been completely over grown by the end in Salal and ferns. Natalie quickly ran off into that area and returned two minutes later. I walked into the side path just after and once I reached the end I saw one of the most gorgeous ponds on the trail. Right off next to a bush, still on the trail was a wide puddle, still steaming, still smelling like piss. I unzipped my pants and added my contribution, making the puddle twice as big. I can't remember if anyone else wandered off into the little trail on the side of the path but if they did they probably got the message and peed on the same puddle, it actually did seem like us as a group to have little "in jokes" like that. One group puddle wouldn't be outside our bonding norm. I'd to imagine the test of the girls just walked off into the bushes and kept finding different sides of puddle to squat in front of and unleash their golden streams, eventually making our own lake on the path ;).

• Like 1
  • Hot 3