Anybody else peed in the sea?

My nearest bit of coast is the North Sea and although I've not peed in it (yet) I have paddled in it occasionally, though only on days when the water temperature has been around 14C.  There was an interesting article in the Telegraph yesterday extolling the health benefits of seawater, at least in purified form.  It may yet become the next big thing on the health supplements market.   

14 hours ago, Adyguy6970 said:

There was an interesting article in the Telegraph yesterday extolling the health benefits of seawater, at least in purified form. 

Are they having to purify it so it’s not full of pee? 😂

• Like 1
On 11/10/2019 at 9:17 AM, oliver2 said:

Apparently there are people who think you shouldn’t pee in the sea, though I don’t think I’ve ever met one in real life. 

I can't see why you wouldn't pee in the sea.  For a start, many sewarage outfalls empty straight into the sea, many boats don't have toilets and people either pee over the side (as per @glad1 above) or use the bucket and chuck it option.   Some bigger boats do have toilets but a lot of those either flush direclty overboard or have tanks which can be pumped out - Some countries have legal restrictions that say that toilet waste tanks can't be emptied within a certain distance of the shoreline, so local boats empty at a shore pump out station, but many just pump out overboard once they are outside the distance limit.

A lot of ships and ferries simply flush directly overboard or have tanks that they empty once clear of port.  I've been on a smallish tour boat in the mediterranean sea where the toilet didn't actually have a flush, but had sea water running through it all the time it was moving - the movement of the vessel through the water forced water through the bottom of the toilet and flushed out anything that was in the toilet.   I've been on boats where you see the toilet paper appear in the water behind the boat after someone has used the toilet.  So, it is actually better to pee directly in the sea because at least then you don't add the toilet paper!

The ships with the most people on board such as cruise ships with thousands of passengers and crew have processing facilities on board which filter and purify waste water (including toilet water) before pumping it out at sea.  I had a tour of the engine room on one cruise ship and they showed us the plant.  Quite impressive really, They use a mixture of filtration, bacteria digestion, incineration to deal with the solids and nasties, then the remaining water is discharged to sea. 

I don't go in the sea very often, but I always pee in it if I'm in there without worrying about it and I enjoy the feeling.

• Agree 1
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/3/2019 at 8:51 PM, Lilipee said:

I always pee in the sea when I go to the beach.  In fact, I drink extra water that day, so that I'll need to go several times.  And yes, in the cold New England water, I definitely feel it warm up.

Ayy New England gang