The awesome grandeur of nature

On 7/24/2019 at 12:18 PM, Scot_Lover said:

Whales are migrating along our coast, a photographer caught this.

Now don’t go non linear and say that baleen Whales don’t eat sea lions, this was a fluke shot during a feeding frenzy, both animals sorted themselves out and went back to munching anchovies.

912F0041-02FA-405D-8139-5FF349294E48.jpeg

I wonder how many whales there might be if they had never been hunted almost to extinction?Its been recently established that Hippos are a distant relative,they share a common ancestor.From a very ancient group called Afrotheria.

Whales fall into 2 groups,the Toothed Whales,like the Killer Whale,and Dolphins etc,and the Baleen Whales,which are the largest.

The Toothed Whales are active hunters,eating fish,and even Sharks,and other marine mammals.

The Baleen Whales,eat by swallowing thousands of litres of water,then with their huge tongue,they force out the water through the Baleen plates,then scraping off all the tiny marine animals,like shrimps that were trapped.

Among the largest animals ever to live on earth.And of course,we humans want to wipe them out.thank God that most countries have now stopped this barbarism.

blue-whale.jpg

kiler_whale_5.jpg

• Like 2

These animals would have been awesome.

The "sabre-toothed" Cats.The lineage of these animals,now completely extinct,goes back about 30 million years.In fact its possible that our ancestors may have seen these magnificent beasts,as they are believed to have gone only about 9000 years ago..

This is Smilodon,but there were other various species too.It seems that throughout evolution,the Sabre-teeth,have been an experiment,that kept failing.Even today,the Clouded Leopard,of S.E Asia,in fact has canine teeth,that are proportionately longer than any other cat.

Its not quite known how they used their long fragile teeth.They probably didnt stab,as they would have broken.As we have no similar animals today,scientists cant quite work out how they hunted and fed.They were about the size of a Lion,but much more massively built.Probably resembling a small cat like Grizzly Bear....They may have lived in prides,like Lions,providing for each other,as specimens are found with severe injuries,probably caused by large prey defending itself,yet with broken bones that have healed,maybe indicating that the animal was cared for whilst incapacitated.

Like the Dinosaurs,sadly one of natures creations that was denied to us.

smilodon.jpg

• Like 1

Mount Everest,the highest point above sea level on earth,at 29,032 feet.Just about 5 miles high.

Ironically,the rocks of the Himalayas were once the sea bed,until about 40,000,000 years ago,when the continental plate on which modern day India sits,began to move north,thus colliding with the Eurasian plate,in the area of now Tibet.Thus causing the crust of the earth to buckle upwards,resulting in the Himalayas,and the high Tibetan plateau.

This has been established by the discovery of ancient marine fossils in the rocks,at thousands of feet.

But,the actual highest point above GROUND level,is Mauna Kea in the Hawaiian Islands,which,if measured from summit to sea bed,is about 32000 feet.

Everest.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1
On 8/17/2019 at 3:17 PM, F.W said:

Everest.jpg

Btw the mountain in the picture is called  "Ama Dablam". I kinda wanted to point it out because it's one of my favourite peaks of the Himalayas.

My mother has been there when she was younger and showed me the photos she took, since then I've been dreaming to go to Nepal for years ... bit of a side note here 😛

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Gotah said:

Btw the mountain in the picture is called  "Ama Dablam". I kinda wanted to point it out because it's one of my favourite peaks of the Himalayas.

My mother has been there when she was younger and showed me the photos she took, since then I've been dreaming to go to Nepal for years ... bit of a side note here 😛

It's a wonderful side note, thanks for sharing

• Like 2
22 hours ago, speedy3471 said:

Another sunrise 

20190904_063046.jpg

This picture made my soul feel calm haha. A few cold ones a girl and a sunset and a mans life is complete  (edit) saw it was a sunrise xd when the sun rises i usally go to bed ( if i don't have any plans the next day ofc)

Edited by Peefreak99
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, Peefreak99 said:

This picture made my soul feel calm haha. A few cold ones a girl and a sunset and a mans life is complete  (edit) saw it was a sunrise xd when the sun rises i usally go to bed ( if i don't have any plans the next day ofc)

This has been my favorite sunrise this summer as well

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Peefreak99 said:

Oh ok here the trains can't go anywhere without power lines we have some diesel trains but they are barely used 

It would be impossible for us to have electric trains here. In the mountains for example there are switch backs the the train pretty much doubles back on its self. This is necessary for it to climb the mountain.

Our trains are 112 cars long with each car having a 100 metric ton payload. Grain cars that is

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, speedy3471 said:

It would be impossible for us to have electric trains here. In the mountains for example there are switch backs the the train pretty much doubles back on its self. This is necessary for it to climb the mountain.

Our trains are 112 cars long with each car having a 100 metric ton payload. Grain cars that is

Sounds heavy i guess they don't go that fast then. I don't even know what the freight trains are driving here haha supplies and material i guess but who knows 

• Like 1