The awesome grandeur of nature

Pulled this out of some video I took driving across Missouri tonight.  The second was a failed attempt, but gives you an idea of how bright it gets in my cab during a lightning storm.    Video to follow 

FBF97C10-91E2-430F-B15E-2BFB95D5A23C.png

E23FD258-8845-41C6-ADD0-E7C25FA43B83.png

Edited by HammerheadPilot
Spelling
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, HammerheadPilot said:

It truly is awesome, right?   And I don’t mean awesome like the popularized use of the word....truly in awe of her power and majesty.  And many times, I get VIP front row seats.  👍

You talk like a Witch now...

• Like 3
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, spywareonya said:

You talk like a Witch now...

I’ve always been it time with and connected to Nature.  Especially water.   Rivers in particular.   But really anything outside.   Even do most of my internet surfing outdoors.   My job as a truck driver even connects me more to Nature.  My favorite thing about it is that I get to see more of Nature.  But Rivers.   That’s my thing.   Moving water has a real true and overwhelmingly awesome power that most do not respect or even realize.   It’s why my kayaking and hiking is so important to me.   

• Love 1
8 hours ago, HammerheadPilot said:

Pulled this out of some video I took driving across Missouri tonight.  The second was a failed attempt, but gives you an idea of how bright it gets in my cab during a lightning storm.    Video to follow 

FBF97C10-91E2-430F-B15E-2BFB95D5A23C.png

E23FD258-8845-41C6-ADD0-E7C25FA43B83.png

Your speedometer is wrong, it should read 105km/h not 64mph lol

• Like 1
2 hours ago, speedy3471 said:

O my goodness, that's a terrible mess

Unfortunately, this will cost monumentally.  Both in dollars and emotional pain.   Families are being uprooted and lives are being destroyed.  But...every place has its drawbacks.   Here, it’s nasty Spring time weather.   

• Agree 2
7 hours ago, spywareonya said:

@HammerheadPilot

The ones about the Flood are awsome, impressive, and sadly fascinating

But the one about the Tornado… scared me

it has something primordial and terrorized me 

Tornados are a part of life here.  I’ve seen 6 of them in person.   Sat out two more that I never saw in the cab of my tractor/trailer.   The power is awesome and should be revered.   You’ve never experienced ANYTHING as violent.   And, unfortunately, I know violence intimately.   When wind is actually painful and cuts like a blade...you learn to respect and have a deep reverence for her power.  While it’s terrifying, it’s also fascinating and awesome.  I’m unexplainably and helplessly drawn to it.    

I am actually more afraid of the flooding than the tornados, for some inexplicable reason.   Growing up paddling kayaks and canoes, I have a very healthy respect (and love and connection with) for water that most couldn’t possibly grasp.   This flooding is monumental...historic...other worldly.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

In October of 2017 my rural municipality was evacuated due to a huge grass fire. I shit you not, the fire was moving at 100km/h thanks to the wind blowing at 110km/h. We left our farm to help my mom and grandpa get ready to leave. I forgot a few things soni went back to get then, by this time the RCMP had closed the highway and just to the west in could see the huge glow from the fire, it was surreal, like dante's inferno. All farmers were out cutting fire breaks, every road grader for 60km were helping cut fire breaks. Not something I want to go thru again. Thankfully the wind shifted and rain showed up, we went back home late that night. Some farmers had their farms burned to the ground. The amount of cattle and deer that had to be put down was very high numbers. Very sad, 2 or 3 days it took to put these horriblely burned animals down

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@speedy3471 

We had a wildfire scare a few years back.   What I remember about it was the total unpredictability.   With tornadoes and floods, we have somewhat of a warning and kind of know what to expect.   When the fire scare happened, no one knew which way it was headed or who needed to evacuate.   That was way scarier than the storms we are currently having to deal with.  

• Agree 1

I'm so sorry to say it, but, "Get used to it!"  It's going to get worse, much worse.  Climate change is real, very real.  Trust me.  You ain't seen nothing yet.  Global warming is real and humans are accelerating it greatly.

More fires, floods, and catastrophic events.  The science community is right on this, 100%!!!

Edited by 2prnot2p
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
17 hours ago, HammerheadPilot said:

Tornados are a part of life here.  I’ve seen 6 of them in person.   Sat out two more that I never saw in the cab of my tractor/trailer.   The power is awesome and should be revered.   You’ve never experienced ANYTHING as violent.   And, unfortunately, I know violence intimately.   When wind is actually painful and cuts like a blade...you learn to respect and have a deep reverence for her power.  While it’s terrifying, it’s also fascinating and awesome.  I’m unexplainably and helplessly drawn to it.  

I absolutely can perceive what you mean...

17 hours ago, speedy3471 said:

I shit you not, the fire was moving at 100km/h thanks to the wind blowing at 110km/h

17 hours ago, speedy3471 said:

Very sad, 2 or 3 days it took to put these horriblely burned animals down

HOLY FUCK

I am humbled by these last posts

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, 2prnot2p said:

I'm so sorry to say it, but, "Get used to it!"  It's going to get worse, much worse.  Climate change is real, very real.  Trust me.  You ain't seen nothing yet.  Global warming is real and humans are accelerating it greatly.

More fires, floods, and catastrophic events.  The science community is right on this, 100%!!!

I don't disagree with you. The cause of our fire was overhead power lines. All of our province's power is still above ground on power poles, 3 phase and single phase. There are alot of old farm yards with active single phase lines, the wind was blowing and the line shorted out and sparked and instant fire 

• Like 1

Here's a little inside information on climate change.  The science community is being conservative on their forecast for future consequences.  They're doing this so as to not be labeled "alarmists."  I have this from very good sources.  Not being an authority on this topic, I trust the words of real experts.  I think doubters will become believers eventually.

• Agree 1
  • Hot 1