The awesome grandeur of nature

On 6/16/2018 at 5:30 PM, steve25805 said:

A prominence erupting from the surface of the sun. These are caused by super-heated plasma getting trapped in the Sun's magnetic field as it get twisted and loops above the surface.

You can see the massive scale of such eruptions by the comparison to the size of the Earth in this pic......

Image result for prominence

If you put a basketball on the ground and put a BB from a BB gun 93 feet away from the ball, you'd have a perfect scale model for the size of the earth to the sun and the distance they are from one another.  The sun is 93 million miles from earth, so each foot would be equal to a million miles. This is one thing I vividly remember from my college astronomy class.  LOL!

Edited by 2prnot2p
  • Like 2
On 11/5/2018 at 2:13 AM, 2prnot2p said:

I love foxes.  We have them here in Michigan, where I live.  I've seen them several times.  We also have cougars way in the extreme northern part of the state.  And black bears, moose, deer, elk, many animals.  But, the fox is my fave.  So cute and very clever.

I've got a fox den about 500 meters from my house. The pups are cute little things hahaha

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, speedy3471 said:

I've got a fox den about 500 meters from my house. The pups are cute little things hahaha

Hey Speedy.  You lucky duck!  I've seen many vids on youtube of people who have foxes as pets and...it's nuts!  They're so hyper that they'd drive anyone crazy.  Plus, they will tear up any house.  Still, I love 'em.  I just would never try to domesticate one. 

6 hours ago, 2prnot2p said:

Hey Speedy.  You lucky duck!  I've seen many vids on youtube of people who have foxes as pets and...it's nuts!  They're so hyper that they'd drive anyone crazy.  Plus, they will tear up any house.  Still, I love 'em.  I just would never try to domesticate one. 

Me either haha. In fact between my parents yard and my grandpa's yard which is 1.6km there are 3 separate fox dens. Pups running all over the place this past summer lol. 

The pups start coming out of their dens in late April to early may

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

This is the Eden Project in Cornwall in southwest England, about 30 miles west of where I live.

Situated in what was once an old quarry, it is a series of biodomes recreating different natural habitats inside.

I have been here several times....

HERO-Eden_by_Tamsyn_William_0.jpg

Here are some views from inside the tropical dome. It is hot as hell in there as you'd expect....

Eden-Project-11.jpg

EdenProject-20150112125626883.jpg

Inside the Mediterranean dome....

Interior_of_Mediterranean_biome,_Eden_Project.jpg

• Love 1
6 hours ago, steve25805 said:

This is the Eden Project in Cornwall in southwest England, about 30 miles west of where I live.

Situated in what was once an old quarry, it is a series of biodomes recreating different natural habitats inside.

I have been here several times....

HERO-Eden_by_Tamsyn_William_0.jpg

Here are some views from inside the tropical dome. It is hot as hell in there as you'd expect....

Eden-Project-11.jpg

EdenProject-20150112125626883.jpg

Inside the Mediterranean dome....

Interior_of_Mediterranean_biome,_Eden_Project.jpg

O wow that's cool. What are the biodomes used for? 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, speedy3471 said:

O wow that's cool. What are the biodomes used for? 

For recreating the climatic conditions of different parts of the world, so that within them you can experience different climates and the plant life familiar to them. For example, coffee beans and bananas are growing on trees in the tropical biodome, whilst oranges and lemons do so in the Mediterranean one. 

Basically they are open then to paying members of the public to experience. A tourist attraction if you like.

18 hours ago, steve25805 said:

For recreating the climatic conditions of different parts of the world, so that within them you can experience different climates and the plant life familiar to them. For example, coffee beans and bananas are growing on trees in the tropical biodome, whilst oranges and lemons do so in the Mediterranean one. 

Basically they are open then to paying members of the public to experience. A tourist attraction if you like.

That's very cool. Iam gonna add that to the list of places I want to visit someday

• Like 2

Mount Fuji,about 12,000 +feet.Last eruption was around 300 years ago.Majestic,beautiful,yet scary.

Volcanoes in general,are awesome.They can devastate half the world,and cause famines by  their eruption clouds that can go miles up into the atmosphere blocking out the sunlight.

Famous ones,like Krakatoa in 1883,killed over 35000 people by causing tsunamis,and is believed to be the loudest sound ever in human times.

There is thought to be one that erupted in Sumatra,about 80000 years ago,Mount Toba,which is believed to have been bigger than Krakatoa,and is thought to have wiped out many early human populations,that were becoming more agrarian,thus blocking out the sunlight for a few years.

In the USA,is Yellowstone,which is actually a "super caldera",this is basically a huge underground volcano,which last erupted 600000 years ago,and worryingly,is believed by vulcanologists,to be "overdue" to erupt......

Scary stuff.

fuji.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2018 at 12:52 PM, F.W said:

Mount Fuji,about 12,000 +feet.Last eruption was around 300 years ago.Majestic,beautiful,yet scary.

Volcanoes in general,are awesome.They can devastate half the world,and cause famines by  their eruption clouds that can go miles up into the atmosphere blocking out the sunlight.

Famous ones,like Krakatoa in 1883,killed over 35000 people by causing tsunamis,and is believed to be the loudest sound ever in human times.

There is thought to be one that erupted in Sumatra,about 80000 years ago,Mount Toba,which is believed to have been bigger than Krakatoa,and is thought to have wiped out many early human populations,that were becoming more agrarian,thus blocking out the sunlight for a few years.

In the USA,is Yellowstone,which is actually a "super caldera",this is basically a huge underground volcano,which last erupted 600000 years ago,and worryingly,is believed by vulcanologists,to be "overdue" to erupt......

Scary stuff.

fuji.jpg

Today,Anak Krakatoa has stirred a little,causing a tsunami that has killed a few hundred people.Anak Krakatoa came to the surface in 1927 on the site of the old Krakatoa.It now is about 2000 feet high,and highly active.Its position in the Sunda straits between Java and Sumatra,which is quite narrow,less than hundred miles at its widest,which probably causes any waves to funnel devastatingly.In years to come,it will probably explode like its famous ancestor.

• Like 1

The Ant.Just about one of the smallest living things you can see with the naked eye.Then youre into the microscopic world of bacteria,viruses etc.

About 20,000 species,most not much bigger than a grain of rice.Living in vast well disciplined colonies,some being highly predatory,moving on the forest floor in millions,capturing spiders,and just about anything small enough to kill.All led by a Queen,and all are sisters.A few males exist as workers or drones which serve the colony.They live in a caste system,having workers,soldiers,cleaners,all to ensure the survival of the colony.

Yet the grandeur isnt in the size,but the micro-engineering.Wonders of miniturisation.

ant.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...