The awesome grandeur of nature

• 3 weeks later...

These are the comparable sizes of the planets in our solar system in comparison with each other....

12.thumb.png.7afeced6cce76e5d539ffcf3fc4b0129.png

The planet next to Earth and almost, but not quite, the same size is Venus. The next one along is Mars. Then Mercury before you get to tiny Pluto which is no longer regarded as a full planet anymore.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, steve25805 said:

I have neglected this thread for too long. @speedy3471, you post some great pics from your own natural environment. The sunsets in particular are stunning.

Thank you.

Your very welcome. Yup the sunsets are taken while I stand on my deck. No big cities to block my view at all

You post some AMAZING photos of the solar system and beautiful places on this earth, thank you

• Thanks 1

An awesomely powerful tornado...

17.thumb.jpg.b80cdb87634cc27f1f3b43d8b0bc2cc5.jpg

If I was there I am not totally sure if I would have stood and admired the sight or run like fuck.

I think once it got that close though the urge to run like fuck would have overwhelmed me, lol

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, speedy3471 said:

The power of the ocean amazes me so much. I guess being a born and raised praire boy is why lol

I guess I was lucky. Born and raised in the southwest peninsular of England with many dozens of good beaches all within an hours drive. I spent many a happy childhood day on the beach jumping over the waves and sometimes being bowled over by them. I love waves.

• Agree 1
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, steve25805 said:

An awesomely powerful tornado...

17.thumb.jpg.b80cdb87634cc27f1f3b43d8b0bc2cc5.jpg

If I was there I am not totally sure if I would have stood and admired the sight or run the fuck.

I think once it got that close though the urge to run like fuck would have overwhelmed me, lol

I've experienced a few of these as well lol

• Love 1

This is the only image yet taken of an actual black hole....

1.thumb.png.d9c7328b56c83584275103316f442b86.png

It lies at the centre of the "nearby" galaxy M87, which is 55 million light years away. That's a close neighbour in galactic terms.

This black hole contains as much mass as 6.5 billion suns. 

The bright disc around it is light being bent around it by it's immense gravity.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, UnabashedUser said:

No one appreciates the grandeur of nature more than a farmer 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRDaPEaDJ7E

You got that right. I can't remember how many ducklings dad would find that had wandered away from mom. He would bring them to the barn and my brother and I would try and feed them lol

I miss listening to Paul Harvey on the radio

• Like 1