Site Update

7 hours ago, Sophie said:

Is it possible to turn off notifications for reactions?

I mean the reaction notifications are no different to how it was before when we only had likes (with the exception of the wording), but if you don't want notifications then you can edit all of that from account settings.

http://peefans.com/index.php?/notifications/options/

'Someone gives reputation to something I posted'

Disable the setting for that and it should do the job.

For most people I wouldn't recommend changing that setting, but it is of course optional.

As I've said previously, I'll try write up something about Clubs soon, but are there any other elements of the site people would like some clarification on? (From the update or otherwise).

The recently added 'Did you know...?' section will allow me to write up some info on pretty much anything and have it all in one easy-to-find place, so ideas for what to cover would be welcome.

11 hours ago, Admin said:

One final question for you all too - how are you finding the reactions, and are there any others you feel should be added?

I am enjoying having more choices to my response and have used them.  I still have the choice that if I don't care for the entry I can ignore it which is better than having a negative response.

• Agree 1
On 8/2/2017 at 10:00 AM, Admin said:

One final question for you all too - how are you finding the reactions, and are there any others you feel should be added?

I like them a lot and have used the new choices already.

It would be nice to add a "Thank you" reaction for particularly helpful posts.   "Informative" could be a good one too.

• Agree 2
3 hours ago, likesToLick said:

I like them a lot and have used the new choices already.

It would be nice to add a "Thank you" reaction for particularly helpful posts.   "Informative" could be a good one too.

I was going to add a 'thanks' initially, but wasn't sure if the standard 'like' essentially did the job. You're right though, I think that would be a good addition, and perhaps would also tie in with informative posts, as you could use 'thanks' for helpful content etc.

We want there to be a good selection, but not too much overlap that there's no obvious reaction to a post because of all the options. For example, when we initially had these sort of reactions there were also things like 'wow' (surprised face), but it's a case of how many do we actually want? It's rare a post is overly surprising, and if it was, it could be in both a positive way or negative way. If it is positive, one of the other reactions would probably already cover it (e.g. 'hot' if it was a particularly exciting post).

Basically, I think you're right that a 'thank you' is the final missing reaction we need (at least for now).  What should the icon be though...? 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, likesToLick said:

I've seen the image below used for "thanks" on another site.   What do you think?

image.png    

This is actually the default that the forum software uses, I just wondered if there was something more relevant (so when you see it straight away, it's obvious what it means)? I'll have a think and if not, that should do the job. :)

Every now and again the site seems to go down for a few seconds cos I get an internal server error message when I attempt to change page or reload. But it only appears to be happening for about ten seconds or so at a time and very infrequently, so no biggie right now. Just letting you know in case this is the start of a bigger problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, steve25805 said:

Every now and again the site seems to go down for a few seconds cos I get an internal server error message when I attempt to change page or reload. But it only appears to be happening for about ten seconds or so at a time and very infrequently, so no biggie right now. Just letting you know in case this is the start of a bigger problem.

Yep, I've had the same. I'm working on it, and as far as I know it won't be anything serious. Hopefully all back to normal soon, but in the meantime just reload a few seconds later and it should be back up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
On 07/08/2017 at 2:35 PM, Admin said:

Please post here if/when you receive one of these errors. The more specific you can be (e.g. time it happened etc), the better.

Thank you.

Has nobody received one of these errors since? I haven't, so if nobody mentions any others, I'll stop looking into it.

On a separate forum note, the Pee GIFs have been removed from the emoticon section as they slowed down emoticon loading time, as well as slowing the homepage when posted on the chatbox, along with breaking the chat's format. You can of course still post GIFs on the site - in fact we have several threads dedicated to animated pee pics. Just a heads up. :)

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Admin said:

On a separate forum note, the Pee GIFs have been removed from the emoticon section as they slowed down emoticon loading time, as well as slowing the homepage when posted on the chatbox, along with breaking the chat's format. You can of course still post GIFs on the site - in fact we have several threads dedicated to animated pee pics. Just a heads up. :)

Thank you ! I never even opened the emoticons menu because of the gifs slowing everything down for me . I just didn't mention it because I figured it was my slow internet.:1310_thumbsup_tone1:

Just now, Sophie said:

Thank you ! I never even opened the emoticons menu because of the gifs slowing everything down for me . I just didn't mention it because I figured it was my slow internet.:1310_thumbsup_tone1:

For many it would probably have been a fairly quick load, but there's no use the site being designed to only accommodate users with a fast connection. The Gifs were fun for a short time, but they've all been used a fair amount now, and it's simply inefficient to load several MB every time someone wants to use an emoticon.

That said, we could probably do with some better emoticons too. :1_grinning: