Urine used as remedy?

I was stunned this weekend by a conversation I had with a niece and she has been struggling with really bad acne for many years. I told her that her skin got so much better and she seemed happy and smiled more, which at the time her face and back was bad. Whenshe told me that she uses her own urine to wash her face and back. I was stomped, which i did not know what to say until she explained it. She said at first it was gross but when my niece saw the results, she kept on doing it, twice a day for over 2 weeks. Then she told me that urine was good against jelly fish stings, fungal infection and open wounds. My reply was, as long as it helps but in my head i thinking, is she nuts??   Curious, i decided to research it and it's true!!  

Now I know that, i feel less stupid.

Edited by Sephora
  • Like 2

Undoubtedly, she's not the first to use urine as a remedy, as the practice goes back thousands of years. The ancient Egyptians, Greeks and Romans often used urine to wash their hair, improve their skin and brighten their teeth.

I suspect she might not be the last in her family, either. 

Edited by glad1

Not too sure on this, lol.

Us Australians have been told not to pee on jellyfish stings, and there are lots of jellyfish here. We all wear a full wetsuit in the ocean when surfing, but still leave the water when an infestation occurs, like to be safe, not sorry. Recommended treatment is sea water or vinegar, we have a 2 litre bottle of vinegar in with our surfing gear, never had to use it yet.

As for acne, never had it so I can't comment on that either. 

5 hours ago, P-Spud said:

Was any reason given? I'm curious about whether it's actually bad for the stings, or just ineffective.

I think it was mostly ineffective, no medical grounds, or if you had some infection, it could react with toxins and make things worse. Most people I know think it's just old wives tale, never heard of it being done to anyone.

On that topic, i went to my mom's yesterday, my sister and my dad were there too.

so i decide to bring up the subject because thats what we do. My dad response was, how do you think we needed to treat your acne when you were young? Have you noticed your mom would always go to the toilet first before you would wash. My sister said: you guys are gross and went to the livingroom. Lolololol

then i thought: you guys have no idea what i do with my pee. 

I be

ieve they would be shocked!   Lol

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Scot_Lover said:

I think it was mostly ineffective, no medical grounds, or if you had some infection, it could react with toxins and make things worse. Most people I know think it's just old wives tale, never heard of it being done to anyone.

Damn! I had plans to splash around in the surf until I spotted a pretty girl on the beach. I would shriek and come in from the water moaning about jellyfish stings!

Me:  "Help me, I've been stung by a jellyfish!"

Her: "Sorry, I don't have to go."

Me: "Oh. Here, I have some bottled water. Drink up and tell me when you're ready."

:8_laughing::8_laughing::8_laughing:

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, P-Spud said:

Damn! I had plans to splash around in the surf until I spotted a pretty girl on the beach. I would shriek and come in from the water moaning about jellyfish stings!

Me:  "Help me, I've been stung by a jellyfish!"

Her: "Sorry, I don't have to go."

Me: "Oh. Here, I have some bottled water. Drink up and tell me when you're ready."

:8_laughing::8_laughing::8_laughing:

Go for it, rofl. I doubt if will do anything for the excruciating pain though. Jellyfish are bad, even the Sharks leave the beach when these things swarm.

I can remember being told as a kid that the best cure for chilblains on your feet was to immerse them for half an hour or so every day in pee. So we were urged to pee in a bowl and then soak our feet in it. And the chilblains did indeed go away. Though whether that was a result of the pee or would have happened on it's own anyway, I know not.

Mind you, my face could do with an improved complexion. I bet pee is good for that. The fresher and hotter, the more effective, I'll wager. But I can't get the angles myself. Any ladies out there willing to do me the honours and piss on my face? Purely for health and beauty reasons of course. :9_innocent:

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...