The EU. In or out?

Should the UK leave the EU?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK leave the EU?

• Yes, the UK should leave the EU
    • No, the UK should remain in the EU

It's a complex one and whilst the pound will bounce back to an extent I suspect it will not bounce back to the level it has been. It helps very few industries and jobs will be lost as a result. Already, it's been admitted that we were lied to about the amount of extra money which was going to be made available to healthcare.

This country has truly dropped a bollock for want of a better phrase!

Personally, if some outside "authority" tried to impose some of the things the EU did, such as the silly ban on appliances that were too powerful (in other words the ones that worked well) I would consider any cost well worth the freedom of self determination

Many things will result from this, but freedom is not likely to be one of them.

The British people had open access to work and live in the most civilized, modern and productive nations in the world. That freedom has now been lost. Many of those people own homes and live in those other European states. It's possible that they will now have to dispose of those homes at fire sale prices and return to the states where they were born. Oh well, I suppose they won't mind any of this because they now have the freedom to buy an appliance that wastes energy. Freedom of movement, of trade, of employment, of domicile - all worthless by comparison I guess. :wacky:

I'd be interested to hear your opinion of whether it was a good idea for the slave states to secede from the USA in 1861. Did it work out well for them in your view?

Actually to make your comparison accurate, the EU would have to use military force to prevent the UK from leaving. I do not think that the civil war was a good thing, and I truly believe that the northern states were wrong to force the south to remain in the union

Obviously a war that resulted in the deaths of over 600,000 men was terrible,but due the cause of slavery,perhaps war was the right thing..Dont forget at a few points in 1862,at Antietam,Fredericksburg,even Gettysburg,the Union forces "dropped the ball" and could have inflicted a decisive defeat on the Confederacy,it was poor generalship that caused the length of the war,until Grant took charge.

Actually to make your comparison accurate, the EU would have to use military force to prevent the UK from leaving. I do not think that the civil war was a good thing, and I truly believe that the northern states were wrong to force the south to remain in the union

Hopefully Britain will not do anything equivalent to opening fire on Fort Sumter. I've always wondered why the South decided to fire the first shots that started the war. It would seem obvious that a small group of agricultural states could not hope to defeat a major industrial power.

Seen the protests on tv, a million unhappy people want to go back into the EU, while Brussels is already cutting ties. As it stands now, even if there was a change of mind, it would be doubtful the EU would let you back in. Made a mess of the way I traveled, I used to use the UK as a base, then visited anywhere we liked all on the same passport (with minor exceptions, Russia and the Baltic states are still weird). We looked at going to Paris and have already seen specials on Europe that bypass the UK altogether. Spend a night at a Dubai hotel and you can go to any city in Europe for $99. Even this negates the devaluing of the pound, and drops $400 off a return airfare. There was obviously a reason for leaving the Union, right? I mean I liked staying in the UK, met the loves of my life in the UK, but in a year or two, it will never be the same.

I voted remain for many other reasons than the ones you have mentioned however your ability to travel between the UK and Europe on a single passport won't be affected in the slightest.

Yeah, you may be right, it's just travel agents are now aggressively targeting Europe from Dubai, it's like why go there when you can get to it from here. Not looked at this in depth yet, moving house is our priority at this time.

Has Trump, or Clinton for that matter made much of a compelling argument for changes? The contract issue is a problem here too. There are far too many people on zero hour contracts and it's pretty hard to plan for next month, let alone next year when your hours per week can be anything from 0-50.

From everything I've read, not sure anything Trump has proposed will fix the situation, I don't think there is a quick fix to any long term unemployment problems. Whilst his proposals on immigrants will no doubt include the notion that jobs would be freed up for Americans, companies here offering manual labour at minimum wage have found at times that British people simply aren't applying for those positions and they have been forced to employ Eastern European workers simply to fill the jobs.

Anyway the vote was cast,and some 17 million people voted leave over 16 million.Thus we are leaving.Im glad.I cant believe our dumb politicians wanted to cling to a kind of pseudo-fascist central Government,that decides how we can or cannot live.I think the 1860s America,at least all the people WERE American,it was differences in state policy,like slavery.But the EU is a collection of states that have very little in common.Mostly all are ancient rivals and enemies,like France and Germany,Italy and Greece,this is all a false bond,which must fail eventually.The UK is well out of it.