Petrol Prices

Petrol prices have taken a dive here, lowest price for over 10 years at .94 cents per litre.

Just interested to know what the rest of the world is paying? Don't worry about trying to convert it, I'll rough out a calculator, and work it out.

Petrol prices have taken a dive here, lowest price for over 10 years at .94 cents per litre.

Just interested to know what the rest of the world is paying? Don't worry about trying to convert it, I'll rough out a calculator, and work it out.

I was paying between 1.10 and 1.30 a liter, when I was your way a couple months back. That seemed to be half again as much as what it was in the States.

Prices have dropped since then, I've seen them as low as $1.43 in the past couple weeks, though now they seem to be on their way up. Last time I bought was at $1.69 and today it's in the $1.80-1.90 range here in the Midwest.

94 cents a litre in Australia? $1.70 a gallon in the USA?

Prepare to be shocked, guys, when you hear about rip off Britain. Because here, though petrol prices have fallen lately, they are still around about £1 per litre (about US $1.60). That is in old measurements pretty close to £5 a gallon (about US $8!!!).

And this in spite of the fact that we have our own oil supplies just off our coast in the North Sea. Over half of what we pay at the pumps is pure tax. Fuel taxes here are crushing, and represent a massive financial burden not just for individuals but also for businesses. But tax alone is not the only reason. If all taxes on petrol disappeared entirely, our fuel would be a hell of a lot cheaper, but it would still be substantially more expensive than in the USA. So we have a feeling that the companies involved, as well as the government, are ripping us off.

Here in the USA in New York and Pennsylvania the price has been dropping and is now under $2 a gallon.

I just made a trip down to the Southern part of Pennsylvania on Tuesday. I expected the prices in Pennsylvania to be less then here in New York, so I just started the trip on about a half tank. When I had to fill in Pennsylvania I had to pay $1.999 per gallon. Boo, it was cheaper at home.

98.5 here in Adelaide today. Cheapest it has been in 10 years i think. I don't expect it to last. When the Chinese economy gets going again they will be selling a lot of cars. I would guess we'll see $5.00 per litre within 10 years, unless electric cars take off before that.