PeeFans has talent!

Sophie

Changing a tire is an important and very useful skill. I guess you could call it a talent, why not?

Best I could come close to as far as changing a tire is calling the motor club. Getting them to come out right away for a "Damsel in distress" might be considered a talent.

If I worked for that motor club and knew it was you that called, I might want to make you wait just long enough that you'd be a "desperate damsel in distress". If nothing other than to make my job a little easier (or at least a lot more fun), I'd want you to mark which tire you wanted me to work on.
Guest UnabashedUser
I like this topic, sadly I wasn't reading as much and I am late on it, plus I miss Kevin :frown:

I can play piano

I have good cooking and baking skills (at least I think so lol)

Does knowing how to change a tire a good skill? Because I can :thumbsup:

Yes most definitely counts as you'd be amazed that most people out there haven't a clue about how to do it. Good on you!

I like this topic, sadly I wasn't reading as much and I am late on it, plus I miss Kevin :frown:

I can play piano,

I have good cooking and baking skills (at least I think so lol)

Does knowing how to change a tire a good skill? Because I can :thumbsup:

It surprises me how many people are unable to change a tyre, because it's soooo easy to do!

It surprises me how many people are unable to change a tyre, because it's soooo easy to do!

I know, showed my ladies how to do it, mobile reception in the sticks is a bit flaky here, I hate the thought of them being stuck on the side of a dark country road. Thankfully, this has not happened yet.

Luckily in my short life, I've only had to deal with a flat tire one time. I had to put a "donut" on as a temporary replacement. I don't like driving on "donut" tires, I don't trust them. I had the tire replaced the next day.

Now, cars in the US don't even come with a "donut". Many new cars, to save weight, are coming with a can of "Fix-a-Flat".

That's nice. Now how do you get the tire aired up to pressure, or is that part of the Fix-a-Flat.

I have done this with a tire pump quite a number of times. It takes some persistent pumping.

It's part of the canister. It's supposed to seal the hole and inflate the tire.

Yeah, good luck with that. I wonder just how well that works.

I guess that it depends on the situation.

I agree. My cars have donuts, the newest being a little over two years old.

A friend's new Lincoln Navagator has a full size spare. I think the smaller cars are coming with the Fix-a -Flat canisters.

Yeah, good luck with that. I wonder just how well that works.

I guess that it depends on the situation.

Worked fine for me, although I did need to get a new tyre. The can was enough to get me home or to a garage.

I guess that I spoke a bit early as I have never seen one of these Fix-a-Flat kits.

I have seen some TV bits where the tire bead needed to be placed back against the rim.

This takes something somewhat explosive.

This was produced by spraying lighter fluid in around the rim and then putting a match to it to cause a minor explosion which seats the tire beads against the rims.

I remember one long trip back in the 60's where I had flats along the road. I had the tire tools and had to put tubes in my tires and air them up by hand. I had spoked wheels.

I turned out that I had just purchase radial tires, and one needs the radial tubes that are tough enough to stand up to the extra flexing of the radial tire. I tough lesson learned.

Edited by Guest
  • 2 years later...

On this theme,a musical question ive always wondered.

As we read books etc,we can understand the words.When a musician reads music,can they hear the tune?Or do they need to play it on an instrument first?

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 5:29 PM, F.W said:

As we read books etc,we can understand the words.When a musician reads music,can they hear the tune?Or do they need to play it on an instrument first?

Somebody says their brain actually project an intuition of the song itself in their mind, not exactly like a true hearing but more like the "memory of having listened to it" a fraction of instant before the present moment

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 1/11/2019 at 4:29 PM, F.W said:

Different musicians play in different ways.   Some musicians play purely mechanically where the note on the music staff represents a particular physical action on their particular instrument and they make the movement to make the sound.  They probably couldn't look at music and hear a tune.  They also will generally play the piece exactly as it is written and may or may not have the knowledge on how they could vary it if they wanted.  Sometimes they will have to practice for hours and hours to get a piece sounding right.

Others are the complete opposite and don't (or even can't) read music, but can hear a tune and can then know play the tune on their instrument by ear - without music.  Their playing will generally not exactly match the written music but will be in their own style to go with the melody they hear.  These people tend to play much more randomly, but often very entertaining.

A third type can do some or all of both elements and they can read the music and will hear the tune in their head without an instrument.  The type of musician that I admire most - the most accomplished can have a piece of music put in front of them and they can play it straight off.  Or, someone might say, can you play "xxx" and even without the music, they can launch into it and generate the accompaniment.

I dabble with piano and I'm a bit of a cross between them.  I can play basic stuff by ear and put chords to it.   I can read music and can more or less get the sound in my head, but my pitch is not brilliant.   I can read the music line (i.e. the melody) of a not too complicated piece and play it along with chords, but if I try to read all the notes on the music, my brain cannot cope with the speed of seeing the notation, translating them into actual notes and playing them on the piano as quickly as needed.   Sometimes, a piece of music may require you to read four or even more notes at the same time.  I'm not there yet.   I can start to recognise patterns and do that a bit for pieces I know, but I find it far easier to just follow the melody line and put chords with it that sound OK.

Yes, some musicians can actually hum the tune as they read the music.  This requires having perfect pitch.  These people can also hear a note and tell you that it's a C or A, etc., regardless of what octave it's in.  I've known people with this ability.

What amazes me most are singers who can sight read.  That's where, as Alfresco mentioned, they can be given a piece of sheet music they've never seen and SING it correctly.  All notes are spot-on and the rhythm of the notes is also correct.  To do that with the human voice is, to me, very impressive.  I knew a singer like this.

As a drummer, I can only read the rhythm of notes as drums don't deal with melody.  But, assuming it's not highly intricate, I can feel or hear the drum part as I read it.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...