Anyone else like Electronic Gismos?

wetmanjf

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have an iPad, shared collectively between the 3 of us, we each have a laptop, mine is a big Alienware monster, the ladies have an Asus generic basil basic lappie. It does what they need, so they are happy with them. We each have a Galaxy S5, love the connectivity of the things, so easy to share with each other.

I also have a big desktop PC, an I7 overclocked, 16 gig of ram, 2x GTX 650 or similar in SLI configuration, running Windows 7. This is used for programming, music production, and general skulduggery in the Internet. It is hidden away in a small room, due to the noise the bugger makes, and I can be alone in there. A file server and my firewall pc live in the basement, with the associated Internet and wifi for the house.

I use Sony stuff for tv and audio, connectivity again, a Bravia tv connected to a Muteki 7.2 sound system, fills out the lounge room nicely.

I have an iPad, shared collectively between the 3 of us, we each have a laptop, mine is a big Alienware monster, the ladies have an Asus generic basil basic lappie. It does what they need, so they are happy with them. We each have a Galaxy S5, love the connectivity of the things, so easy to share with each other.

I also have a big desktop PC, an I7 overclocked, 16 gig of ram, 2x GTX 650 or similar in SLI configuration, running Windows 7. This is used for programming, music production, and general skulduggery in the Internet. It is hidden away in a small room, due to the noise the bugger makes, and I can be alone in there. A file server and my firewall pc live in the basement, with the associated Internet and wifi for the house.

I use Sony stuff for tv and audio, connectivity again, a Bravia tv connected to a Muteki 7.2 sound system, fills out the lounge room nicely.

Not a clue!I dont understand half the functions on TVs anymore-HDMI etc.What the f does it all mean?Why cant i just plug in and go anymore?

Not a clue!I dont understand half the functions on TVs anymore-HDMI etc.What the f does it all mean?Why cant i just plug in and go anymore?

Rofl, dude, keep up with the times, you'll get left behind.

Most things can be found online, I had to research my setup. Initially I had Cat5 cable all through the house, until I found the benefits of a house wide wifi, I then upped its range a little so the whole property is covered. (We live in a country area, no one to hack and steal our internet).

Same with the audio / tv, now when you turn the TV on, it powers up the sound system with most options available on screen. Very cool and pretty much wife proof.

Total geek here. Built my first computer in the 1970s. (No such thing as a computer store in those days :) - building a PC required a soldering iron, and IBM was not yet in the market.) Right now there is an Arduino board lying around on my desk waiting for me to learn how to program it. I have the android SDK on my PC and am part way through training myself to write android apps for my phone. There's an old oscilloscope on my other desk, testament to the last forty years of me fiddling about with electronics. I have an old valve radio (am + shortwave) from the 1940s waiting for me to bring it back to life, a polyphonic velocity sensitive electronic piano that I built in the 1980s, a collection of parts for a geiger counter that I never got around to building, and I could go on and on. I always seem to start more projects than I can finish.