Cameras

Ok I want this to be a serious thread because this is something I have heard people talk about and maybe considered myself, using a hidden camera. Do you think putting a hidden camera in someone's room, shower, bathroom etc. Is consider wrong or is it only wrong if you start uploading the footage on the net. See I have heard stories of people that will put cameras in public places and get caught and I can see how that is horrible, but would it be equally bad if say someone was living in a house with a room mate or two and put a camera in the bathroom and/or shower for there own person collecting with no intend of showing anyone else? What are your thoughts on this?

To me this sounds like you could be treading on dodgy ground even if you don't post it online it could be illegal since it's violating people's right to privacy under Human rights law. I personally wouldn't want to be filmed without me knowing it even if it wasn't going to be shared, since how do I know that it definitely won't end up online. Sorry I wouldn't be comfortable with this.

At least in the USA, the standard is a "reasonable expectation of privacy". A camera mounted in an outdoor location, or one a location where, even if it seems private, (such as an elevator) it is not, is legal. A camera in a rest room or dressing room is not. People in a rest room / changing room have a reasonable expectation that they are in private, and even if the video/ pictures are not shared, the person who hid the camera sees them and that creates the legal issues.

There was recently a case where a Rabbi hid cameras in dressing rooms / ritual bath area of his synagogue, and even though he did not share the images, he is in serious legal jeopardy. Google "Barry Freundel" for the story.

Even if you were to hide a camera in your own house to catch other people in the bathroom, you could have serious legal problems The only time a hidden camera will not get you in trouble is if it is in a non private area of your home, or set up to watch a babysitter (nannycam) or for security reasons.

If you had a business and people were using the area behind your trash dumpster as a toilet, a hidden cam there would not be a problem. Even though people are trying to hide, they do not have the "reasonable expectation" that they are in private

Obviously,NO-ONE is going to be placing any cameras anywhere.It was intended as a purely "fantasy" idea...Once again,people seem to be lacking senses of humour...I didnt expect a lecture in privacy law!:laugh:I was thinking people might say,in Jennifer Anistons bathroom,that kind of thing.Its just for fun folks!!Sheesh...

Well as the OP suggested this seems like a serious subject for discussion.

Surely you can't have double standards as a lot of content is obviously filmed or taken without the persons consent.

Also how can you comfortably post or discuss real life experiences if it is going to be condoned or frowned upon.

Obviously I am a new member just finding his feet and do respect that there would be different opinions.