Pay Toilets

I always happily pay for a nice clean toilet. The fact they have turnstiles to keep out undesirables and are usually staffed and clean makes it a no brainer.

The only pay toilets that annoy me are the ones in (s)wanky bars where there is a guy there expecting a tip. I find that more offensive than just sticking money in a machine.

I do agree with Londonp with regard to the guy in swanky bars with his "no spray no lay" slogan and extortionate charge for a squirt of deodorant.

Pubs/Clubs are selling alcohol which invariably means having to use the toilet facilities

Keeping them clean is part of the cost of doing business

I feel very uncomfortable when I encounter this unwelcome pressure to "Have a spray" or provide a tip, I mean how many times would you use the toilet in an evening and how much of a tip would be considered insulting to the recipient?

I do agree with Londonp with regard to the guy in swanky bars with his "no spray no lay" slogan and extortionate charge for a squirt of deodorant.

Pubs/Clubs are selling alcohol which invariably means having to use the toilet facilities

Keeping them clean is part of the cost of doing business

I feel very uncomfortable when I encounter this unwelcome pressure to "Have a spray" or provide a tip, I mean how many times would you use the toilet in an evening and

how much of a tip would be considered insulting to the recipient?

Very valid points Scobie , in your last two posts. Couldn't agree more about the costs of running a business. I have very strong views on that one regarding restaurants and cafes, with their exorbitant, rip off prices, expecting tips to pay their serving staffs wages. I am all for rewarding exceptional service when it's given, but this culture of expecting tips no matter what, is out of control.

As far as the club toilet guy expecting a tip, well you could just ignore it I suppose. I certainly don't think you should consider the too small a tip is an insult situation. I mean, come on, aren't we being rather insulted when we spend our good hard earned cash in their establishments, and are expected to pay to have a pee!!

I much prefer the the tipping bowl method myself, where it's up to you if you want to. I feel a whole lot better about leaving something if I don't actually have to.

Regarding your other points about toilets in towns. This is such a difficult question because, of course, if there was nowhere to go, people would just have to piss where they could, like in India, which would be just wonderful for those of us voyeurs looking for it to watch the girls but, as you say, some more vulnerable members of the public would suffer (except there is always McDonalds!) So, yes, our voyeuristic pleasures are not as important I suppose. Bit of both definitely required.

However in the countryside, like in laybys, if you want to pee when on a country journey, it should become the norm and accepted, to be able to pee by your vehicle, like again, in India, where I am led to believe the culture accepts this as normal, men and women pee together and are obviously able to watch each other without worrying. Wow what a wonderful situation!

However, all these arguments , town and country, have a downside, Remember we don't only use toilets to piss. Nothing worse than desperately needing a crap, perhaps with an upset tum and no loos in sight. In towns anyway it certainly wouldn't do for there to be piles of crap up alleyways, and car park staircases would it.

• 3 weeks later...

and

One time we were on vacation in California. We were in the redwoods on this vacation. We had spent the night in a motel and had breakfast at a restaurant. I drank four cups of coffee with my breakfast. We were on the road when my coffee wanted out. My husband noticed that a state park was just up the road. We stopped at the park so I could use the ladies room

The park rangers wanted $7.50 park admission for me to use the ladies room. No way would I pay that much just to pee.

We left and went up the rooad and found a side road. We stopped and I took a Kleenex and went behind a Redwood tree and peed a gallon. Finished I wiped and went back to the car.

I peed behind several Redwood Trees on that trip

• Like 2
and

One time we were on vacation in California. We were in the redwoods on this vacation. We had spent the night in a motel and had breakfast at a restaurant. I drank four cups of coffee with my breakfast. We were on the road when my coffee wanted out. My husband noticed that a state park was just up the road. We stopped at the park so I could use the ladies room

The park rangers wanted $7.50 park admission for me to use the ladies room. No way would I pay that much just to pee.

We left and went up the rooad and found a side road. We stopped and I took a Kleenex and went behind a Redwood tree and peed a gallon. Finished I wiped and went back to the car.

I peed behind several Redwood Trees on that trip

That's an unbelievable price to be asked to pay to use the ladies room, I don't blame you for refusing, a complete rip off!

Did you develop a liking for peeing outdoors after that, as so many girls seem to, and can you admit to maybe a little excitement at the thought of being seen doing it?

Ive noticed there are quite a few pay toilets on the continent, Ive been to toilets in france that were essentially unisex, you went into a large room with urinals which were free to use and you had to pay at a turnstile if you wanted to use a cubicle. Other times Ive had to pay has been in pubs and bars in Holland, France and Spain and had to pay to use the toilet, usually like a euro which was very annoying as they must make a fortune from extorting people drinking in their establishment and esp as for most they were just the usual shoddily built dirty efforts, but as a lot of the time when drinking over there we'd be bar hopping so would usually just wait and find somewhere to go on the way.But to be honest I didnt really have a problem doing that.

The price asked apparently was not to use the rest room in itself, but was the fee for admission to the park for the day (or any portion thereof. Seeing as there is no way to assure that someone leaves the park shortly after entering, if they allowed people free admission on the claim that they were just going to be there for a few minutes, everyone would make that claim and not pay.

I didn't realize from Kellygirl59's post that the $7.50 dollars was admission to the whole park! That puts quite a different slant on it. Not such a rip off after all. Of course I can still see her point, if all she wanted was a pee in the park toilet, it was a far better option to use the local Redwood tree.

Ive noticed there are quite a few pay toilets on the continent, Ive been to toilets in france that were essentially unisex, you went into a large room with urinals which were free to use and you had to pay at a turnstile if you wanted to use a cubicle. Other times Ive had to pay has been in pubs and bars in Holland, France and Spain and had to pay to use the toilet, usually like a euro which was very annoying as they must make a fortune from extorting people drinking in their establishment and esp as for most they were just the usual shoddily built dirty efforts, but as a lot of the time when drinking over there we'd be bar hopping so would usually just wait and find somewhere to go on the way.But to be honest I didnt really have a problem doing that.

I do hope this growing trend for pay toilets aids our cause, and causes more girls to find somewhere quiet to pee were they can do so for free. The more girls that pee outdoors to avoid payment, the greater our chances of coming across one, out and about. Might become quite the thing, near pay toilets that have convenient places near them to use as an alternative to paying!

That's very odd, culturally, because our own licensing laws dictate that toilets must be provided free for patrons of the establishment!

Im not sure that pay toilets will make that much of a difference in regards to more pepole peeing outdoors, though maybes start a protest group, get people to just spend a penny, not 20p

It wasnt the case in every bar, mainly in larger or touristy type bars therd be someone sat at a little table infront of the toilets with a bowl full of euro coins or whatever they charged,

• 5 years later...
On 12/9/2014 at 12:41 AM, F.W said:

Im not paying for some guy to pee free.

Hm? I always do quite the opposite. If at the moment when I drop the money in & the buzzer sounds, I notice another guy heading for the premises, then I wait that few seconds, and keep the door open for him. They actually do always say "Thank you very much" (& look astonished). I get the compensation for that, if I can slip through with someone else. Of course, this does not work with a turnstile.

I think fundamentally what we all want is clean, safe toilets.  Doesn't matter if we're using them for genuine need, for watching or listening to others or whatever.

If you take your 'average' city toilets there is the risk they'll be vandalised, be graffitied all over and also can be a popular place for drug users to shoot up - none of those things being conducive to people feeling safe in there.

Quite apart from who should pay for a cleaner and attendant, at least if people have to pay a nominal price to pee then there's a chance that criminal element won't be present there, do you agree?  In a perfect world the council or railway station should foot the bill and then there isn't the issue of having to find the right change - or at least a member of staff who can provide change when needed.  For that matter contactless payment for the 50p or whatever would be a solution.

(For reference, I am a huge fan of female desperation - but only where consentual and for enjoyment. The last thing I get off on is a poor woman obviously in pain, distress and humiliation.)

Pay toilets only became a thing last year for where I live and so far they're only on a few council owned car park toilets. The only reason they made them pay to use is because of vandals and drug usage that goes on in them.

Made more of a shock when I first visited mainland Spain a few years ago and pretty much every single one of their public toilets is pay to use. At first I must admit I did think it was a bit of rip-off (guess it's a British thing), but I did notice how much cleaner they were. So I guess I see why they charge now.

Nobody likes paying for things like this though. That's just normality.

Guest UnabashedUser

Leatherman tool, carried by most manly Texans, makes short work of boogering the lock on most pay toilet doors. 

Let that be a lesson to them. 

22 minutes ago, UnabashedUser said:

Leatherman tool, carried by most manly Texans, makes short work of boogering the lock on most pay toilet doors. 

Let that be a lesson to them. 

In my experience, most pay toilets have a turnstile or barrier. 

• Agree 1
On 1/12/2015 at 9:42 AM, Scobie said:

I'm from the north...   the one club I go to from time to time the guy's favourite line there is "no splash, no gash" and it's a donation basis. 😉

• Cheeky 1
2 hours ago, gldenwetgoose said:

... And you never have the right change exactly when you need it....

684722794.jpeg

Wow, hot! If I had come around the corner at that moment I would have bought her a Coke just to express my appreciation, and of course with a thought that she would soon have to pee again.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
Guest UnabashedUser
On 4/4/2020 at 9:36 AM, Sophie said:

In my experience, most pay toilets have a turnstile or barrier. 

Ah the Continental Difference. In the US there's a lock on each stall door. Mostly pay toilets have disappeared here though.

Payments are becoming digital these days, in my country to the extent that I never use coins anymore. When I encounter a pay toilet that still requires coins, I simply can't use it. Luckily, I am quite good at holding, and I usually find a good spot for a pee sooner or later. 

• Agree 1

Pay toilets are quite rare in Australia. Most businesses don't take steps to discourage non-customers from using their toilets, so even in places that have pay toilets, there's often a free alternative.

I've been to countries where pay toilets are the norm. As Sophie says in her thread starter, it usually doesn't cost much to use the toilet, and when in Rome...

The only time I can remember being unhappy about having to pay was when using a public toilet in Italy (ironic - considering the Rome reference above - lol). Quite expensive compared to other pay toilets, and one of the dirtiest public toilets (pay or free) that I've ever had the misfortune to use 😞

Edited by UnauthorisedGuy

In Germany, a fee is always charged when staff are on site (i.e. in shopping centers, large train stations, and also on motorway service areas). In the cities themselves, there are increasingly such containers as in the photo. The left door is a coin-operated toilet bowl. Behind the right door, two guys can piss next to each other for free. If a fee is requested, then between € 0.50 and € 1.00. However, if there is no turnstile or the like, but only the staff standing in the entrance, I always go by without paying. No matter how angry they look at me.

20200213_101324.jpg

• Cheeky 1
45 minutes ago, Dicke Klüten said:

Behind the right door, two guys can piss next to each other for free. 

Or two girls, using whatever device or technique they prefer, or one girl and one guy. (In is my Utopia world, where this is perfectly natural and they can all feel safe and relaxed in the situation.)

On 12/8/2014 at 3:24 PM, Sophie said:

I’ve talked about this a few times in the shoutbox but I wanted to make a thread and possibly hear peoples opinions. I did some Christmas shopping this weekend and one of the first things I did was have a wee. The toilets I always use are pay toilets that require you to put in 30 pence before you can use them. I don’t really mind paying this because they are some of the cleanest public bathrooms I’ve ever used, there is always toilet roll, and it isn’t that much money I guess. But it got me thinking.

The reason for charging to use these toilets is usually to cover expenses such as cleaning and toilet roll, but I know that I don’t always use public toilets to relieve myself. I’ll sometimes use them to fix my hair or make up, wash my hands and just generally freshen up. Wish this there is no cleaning needed, and no toilet roll used. So what am I paying for? I’ve basically paid 30 pence for the use of a sink and a mirror.

When I went this weekend I of course took my daughter with me, she’s too young to be alone, which cost me 60 pence. However she didn’t need to use the toilet, she was merely with me so I could keep an eye on her. Again I’m paying for nothing. I still don’t mind because as I said, it isn’t that much money. As we was leaving we walked past a couple of women, one who said “30p, 30 bloody p!” clearly annoyed or surprised by having to pay. And the woman in front of us was confused by the turnstile we go through to leave saying “I’ve never had to pay to have a wee before”

So, what are your opinions on pay toilets? Should they be abolished, or are they a reasonable idea with them being clean and well stocked. By pay toilets I don’t mean the ones where you put in some money and you have 15 minutes to do your business before the door opens anyway and exposes you to the world. These are usually indoors and has somebody who can convert change for you.

a pay toilet sounds like a nightmare to me. To be honest, I use the bathroom a lot more than most people. I can't hold it for very long so, usually I try and go wherever I end up. If I go to a restaurant, I will use the restroom, if I go to a store, I a lot of times use the restroom. I use it a lot and having to pay each time would add up a lot, and if i forgot coins or ran out of change, that would no end well. I would be ok being in a less nice bathroom and dealing with it for toilets to stay free.

Actually I did a little bit of math because I was curious and for me that could easily end up being well over $30 a month USD just to not wet myself in public. 

• Like 1

We don't have any pay toilets in our town, but I know some towns nearby have those self cleaning one person toilets that you pay to use.  

Personally, if I encounter a pay toilet, I normally find somewhere quiet outside to pee as I don't want to pay if I don't have to do so.

Like others have posted, I have noted pay toilets in upmarket bars and clubs although I don't go to those type of establishments that much.  I was so surprised when I saw someone collecting in one such place that I had walked past before I realised that he was after money.  I figure that we have already paid the establishment to rent their beer, so it seems wrong for them to charge us again for disposing of it.   Anyway, when I needed to pee again later, I went outside.

Also in keeping with others, I have experienced charging in Spain and Italy.   In one place in Italy there was a woman sat in the doorway collecting a fee of 1 Euro.  To make it worse, she was sat positioned so that she had a good view of the urinals.  So, she was charging men to go in and then enjoying watching them pee - getting double benefit!

The most expensive place I have seen to pee is a public toilet in Geiranger in Norway.   They charged 17NOK, which at the time equated to roughly £1.70, it is a bit less now as the exchange rate has changed.   These toilets had a contactless card reader on the door of each individual toilet.   I saw this on the toilets right by the cruise ship terminal and thought it might just be those ones, so I walked up the road to the toilets by the bus stands and found that they had exactly the same charge.  I walked round the back and up a path into some trees, where I proceeded to pee into the grass.   I noted that the path was well worn and didn't go anywhere except this small area in the trees.  There were plenty of tissues strewn around as well, so it looks like lots of people, both men and women object to paying.

When I got back down by the cruise terminal, I found that there was a queue for the toilet and each person coming out was holding the door for the next to go in, so nobody (well except the first person) was paying.

I walked around the area and found that there was a cafe that had a number lock on their toilet so you could only use it if you purchased something and requested the code.   However, I then found a shop that had free toilets inside.  I guess they hoped that either only people already browsing the shop would use them or that people found them and then would look round the shop afterwards.

I do remember the old public toilets from my youth where you literally put a penny in the mechanism on the cubicle door to get it to open, which is of course where the term "going to spend a penny" comes from.