Female Urinals

I wonder if any of the women members have ever used, or even seen, a female urinal? I mean the actual sanitary fitting in the female toilets/bathroom/restroom (whatever it is called where you are) such as the American Standard 'Sanistand', Sphinx 'Lady-P', 'Lady Loo' or the (outdoor) UWIE 'Pollee', not a funnel device.

If so would you be prepared to share your reaction to seeing it and experience using it (if you did)?

So, that’s what it is……….. The American Standard Sanistand or aka, Crane Hy-San

I first encountered this plumbing fixture in a ladies restroom at a place where I was working while in college. There were two of these placed side by side with no partition between them. At first, I thought I was in the men’s room and these were male urinals. There were two regular toilets in cubicles next to them. I was wearing pants at the time and couldn’t figure any way to use them. Incidentally , there was no provision for toilet paper at either one of them, further reinforcing the idea that they were intended for male use. I made some inquires of the other female employees as to their use. Everyone I talked to laughed it off saying they’re supposed to be female urinals, but no one uses them.

Unless you’re wearing a dress or skirt, it would be very awkward to use. I surmised that you should squat or sit, back to the wall, over the forward protruding part with your pants and panties pulled down to below your knees. If you wore a skirt or dress, you could straddle it with your legs, pull your panties (if you’re wearing any) aside and urinate in a standing position while facing the wall, giving you a bit of privacy.

Fast forward to more recently……… A friend of mine was restoring a beautiful old house. As part of the remodeling, he installed a powder room in the basement game room. While searching through a used builder’s supply warehouse, he found one of these fixtures. The people at the warehouse had no idea where it came from, only that it was a urinal of some kind. The contractor and the plumber had no clue as to what it was. It was stamped “American Standard”. It intrigued him and he took it home to install as a urinal in the powder room. In his words; “it looked interesting, until I discovered it required half of the city’s water reservoir to flush it”. Indeed, it needed 8 gallons of water per flush, far more than a standard toilet.

I was at his place and intended to use the powder room when I discovered it. I explained that I had encountered one of these before, but didn’t have the privacy to experiment with it. I was wearing a dress and no panties and demonstrated how I thought it should be used in a standing position, much to his enjoyment, by straddling and peeing while facing the wall.

Subsequently, I’ve used it to have a bowel movement. I sat with my back to the wall. Once you get used to the cold porcelain on your butt, it’s reasonably comfortable for doing one’s business, although it was a bit higher than a regular toilet. I would never do this in a public facility.

When I saw the original post, I did an internet search and discovered that this curiosity is an “American Standard Sanistand”. It was introduced in the post WW II era and intended to be used as a female urinal. At that time women wore dresses and skirts nearly all the time. As pants became popular, the “Sanistand” fell from favor because it was inconvenient to use and it was discontinued in the early 70’s. Additional searching found a sign posted above a “Crane” fixture of the same design called the “Hy-San” used at A&M University in Texas, with instructions. Looks like I approached it correctly to do a BM, although you’re not supposed to sit on it. But I was backwards when it came to peeing. I guess it was a “piss-poor” design, no doubt propagated by some male designer who thought he was doing women a favor.

• Like 3

From what I read, they were trying to reduce the amount of time it takes a female to pee. Seems it takes at least double the time for a woman as opposed to men. If someone could figure a way to reduce the time it takes a woman to pee, it would eliminate the long lines at women's restrooms at events, etc. I don't think it's actually the time to pee that's the problem. It's all the fussing with the clothes, having to do something with the purse and trying to turn around in a cramped cubicle, locking the door that slows everything down. If women wore dresses or skirts and no panties, the toilets for peeing were in the open, like men's urinals, things would move a lot quicker.

• Like 1
I saw a lot of these in a plumbing textbook I read when I was a kid. I've never actually heard of one in use though.

From what I read, there aren't too many still around. Probably because of the amount of water needed to flush (8.5 gallons). One website said they are still in use at The National Zoo in Washington DC, at the women's restroom near the Metro station entrance, and they still have them somewhere at Texas A&M University in the Architecture Building. One can also be found at my friend's house, in the downstairs powder room.

Very interesting,i can see how with jeans or leggings it would be awkward to use.More girls should wear skirts and no panties,think of the time youd save every time you went to peepee.(also make life more exciting for us guys on windy days)From what ive seen in some examples in the vids on here,girls empty the bladder more quickly than men perhaps.Its the undoing of clothing that takes the time,as Crissy points out.

Very interesting,i can see how with jeans or leggings it would be awkward to use.More girls should wear skirts and no panties,think of the time youd save every time you went to peepee.(also make life more exciting for us guys on windy days)From what ive seen in some examples in the vids on here,girls empty the bladder more quickly than men perhaps.Its the undoing of clothing that takes the time,as Crissy points out.

Fannywatcher is right. Girls should wear dresses and no panties. It's so liberating and it feels so nice down there. Although I can think of a few females that I don't even want to imagine without panties.

Fannywatcher is right. Girls should wear dresses and no panties. It's so liberating and it feels so nice down there. Although I can think of a few females that I don't even want to imagine without panties.

I can think of many more i DO try imagine without panties,mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!:laugh:

I bet as a woman it feels absolutely great to be without panties.A long skirt or dress should cover well enough.I imagine with leggings a bit more awkward in case you get piss drops afterwards,and would show.I took a girl out once who had none on,and i was horny as hell,especially when she came back from toilet,she let me feel,but nothing really happened otherwise.

I bet as a woman it feels absolutely great to be without panties.A long skirt or dress should cover well enough.I imagine with leggings a bit more awkward in case you get piss drops afterwards,and would show.I took a girl out once who had none on,and i was horny as hell,especially when she came back from toilet,she let me feel,but nothing really happened otherwise.

It does require a bit more care when using the toilet. Stick with colors that don't show the drips, if any.

yes,i think physically,females can empty their bladders more rapidly than men,but they then muck around in there doing hair etc.

True, but they do that at the mirrors not in the stall (or at least I assume that they don't), so doing makeup, hair etc should not delay others from peeing.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

Never have seen a woman's urinal. I have used a men's urinal once.

I was wearing a dress and I hiked it up and took my panties off. Then I walked up to the urinal and spread my legs and pushed my hips out and peed.

It was the kind that went all the way to the floor. My pee did go in the urinal which I was surprised I had that good of a aim.

Finished I wiped and put my panties back on

• Like 1

I was reading about those POLLEE things earlier. I don't know if I could deal with that. I'd probably be thrown in jail or beaten up for hanging around trying to get a peek with them out in the open like that.

• 2 weeks later...

The dorm I lived in at college had one of these in each of the bathrooms. The bathrooms were meant to be co-ed depending on the floor and I assumed switched genders on each floor/side depending on demand. It was tucked away in a corner by the showers, not sure if any girls used them but we sure did.

I thought I had a better pic that I thought was definitely from my school but I have a couple here that are similar, including a sink pee in a very familiar bathroom set up.

57eb649321a2e_eddy3.jpg.ba6cf780d18e817107bc15ee862fbfb6.jpg

eddy2.jpg.7458c16563b904689eb69f3b7377ce07.jpg

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...

Fast forward a few years, and female urinals are now becoming a standard at certain festivals to try and reduce notorious women's queues. I think you often get given a disposal paper shewee and then go stand up to pee in a urinal like a guy. 

Not sure if anyone here has used one, but I've heard they can be a messy (albeit funny) experience. 😉 Much more convenient for girls who can use them successfully though. 

• Like 2
On 9/4/2019 at 1:11 PM, Admin said:

Fast forward a few years, and female urinals are now becoming a standard at certain festivals to try and reduce notorious women's queues. I think you often get given a disposal paper shewee and then go stand up to pee in a urinal like a guy. 

Not sure if anyone here has used one, but I've heard they can be a messy (albeit funny) experience. 😉 Much more convenient for girls who can use them successfully though. 

I use women urinal in restaurant, it is ok. I do not sit and pee so. The restaurateur took them away. Many women did not like urinal. Many complain. Not for every body.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, DivaQC said:

My aim is well. I always have paper toilette with me and put the paper in the back of my leg where its dripping so I do not get my clothes wet.

Great idea hahaha. Having wet clothes when they should be dry isn't good lol

• Like 1