very nice tumblr....

Some good pictures (love the Lucy Zara ones), but I *hate* the endless scrolling template :frown:

Why? Mine is endless scrolling, too, and I LOVE the fact that you don't have to click on the next page link every 10 photos or so. What is better about this to you? Just curious.

Some great pics there thanks.

But on the endless scrolling thing. For some reason on my laptop the further I go the slower the scrolling becomes and the more often it freezes for a couple of seconds. Before long these problems do worsen to the point where it becomes too much hassle to continue, so I usually end up giving up after the first 40-50 or so pics due to this.

Why? Mine is endless scrolling, too, and I LOVE the fact that you don't have to click on the next page link every 10 photos or so. What is better about this to you? Just curious.

RAM, basically. For the reasons outlined by steve above me, if you've got a device that isn't particularly beefy then because you're essentially loading all the pictures into memory rather than clearing the ones you've viewed when loading new pages, the browser c--h--u--g--s along. My main laptop has plenty of RAM and doesn't suffer, but when I'm on my Windows tablet PC with 2GB RAM those kind of sites really make it struggle.

It's also because they're a 'form over function' thing, which is massively popular in today's society (just look at Apple!). I'm a web developer and I've always learned/been taught to develop fast, functional code above anything else. They're not as bad as those HORRIFIC "news" sites that advertise "10 Things About ..." and then do 1 page for each thing, smothering their site with ads in the process to generate click revenue though. Those are the devil's work ;)

• Like 1
RAM, basically. For the reasons outlined by steve above me, if you've got a device that isn't particularly beefy then because you're essentially loading all the pictures into memory rather than clearing the ones you've viewed when loading new pages, the browser c--h--u--g--s along. My main laptop has plenty of RAM and doesn't suffer, but when I'm on my Windows tablet PC with 2GB RAM those kind of sites really make it struggle.

It's also because they're a 'form over function' thing, which is massively popular in today's society (just look at Apple!). I'm a web developer and I've always learned/been taught to develop fast, functional code above anything else. They're not as bad as those HORRIFIC "news" sites that advertise "10 Things About ..." and then do 1 page for each thing, smothering their site with ads in the process to generate click revenue though. Those are the devil's work :wink:

Gotcha. Well, being an Apple user myself, I've never experienced the issues you're referring to. I also don't tend to view the blogs in the standard view, though, either. I either use the Tumblr app on my iPad or view it in the archive, which is still endless scrolling for me, but much smaller thumbnails, but still big enough to see!

Gotcha. Well, being an Apple user myself, I've never experienced the issues you're referring to. I also don't tend to view the blogs in the standard view, though, either. I either use the Tumblr app on my iPad or view it in the archive, which is still endless scrolling for me, but much smaller thumbnails, but still big enough to see!

It's a tricky one with the Apple comment - I don't mean to say anything that causes offence for a start! I was referring to the 'form over function' argument with them - I find it frustrating working in IT seeing regular people who don't know any better going out and spending a ton of money on an a MacBook to write a few documents and browse the web. They could have spent hundreds less on a laptop (Windows, Linux, whatever) that would serve them equally well. It's just buying the brand, hence 'form over/before function' comment.

I likened it to the endless scrolling because it's something that was developed because it seems 'cool'. There are hundreds of similar examples of this in all aspects of life let alone web development, I know! In practice lots won't notice the drawbacks because they'll have enough RAM (or will be in a different view, like you! :)).

Anyway, I'm going to stop typing now :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...