Why do men and women pee in opposite directions?

Men and women tend to pee in facing in opposite directions. Men get privacy facing away from the POV, whereas women are often frontally exposed.

women-urinatiing-in-public.jpg

Usually can mean men pee "away" like off a bridge, into the shrubs, or on the grass whereas a woman makes a puddle on the bridge, on the trail, or on the sidewalk.

2075538585_Capture_2023-03-06-10-33-55.thumb.png.eb9253c55cb57524d3072b100cdd5dca.png

The obvious answer is because men usually stand and women usually squat. But in the rare occasions that I've seen content of men squatting to pee in public, they still face the wall.

jpeg

I hope it doesn't sound judgemental, I just really want to know the thought process differences between men and women when peeing.

I think it's mostly for reasons of privacy. Since women usually squat, less of them is exposed when they face forward rather than away, especially if they lean forward enough that their stream falls straight down or even behind them so their shoes and clothing stay dry.

However, I've had the fortune to know several women who frequently pee standing like a man, either for the shock and entertainment value or because they just prefer that way. Usually, like men, they'll face away, unless they want to put on a show for me.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Chrissy89 said:

Definitely privacy. If I squat…. 1) I want to see who’s around and 2) I don’t want my bum to be seen 🤣

Interesting, I thought the frontal is more private than the bum.

I'm not complaining, I prefer seeing the frontal.

22 minutes ago, Xanthous Gaze said:

This is true some of the time but not all of the time. I doubt the people in the photos are strangers. It could be they just happen to different directions because they have a better aim in the position so not to splatter on their neighbor. In that top picture the woman is was aiming at that arch slope I believe to avoid splattering on that long dress. 

As for the others the privacy theory is probably right. 

I just used those as examples, because they each contain a mixed pair. Here's a festival picture, where the males likely don't know the females.

preview.jpg

I'd say at least 95% of the time women face "forwards" and 95% of the time men face "away" regardless of if they're peeing alone or with the same/opposite sex.

• Agree 2

Well, at least as a guy, the reason is kinda obvious. Of course I'm gonna turn my back to the rest of the world, it's not like I want to get indecent exposure on my file for just whipping it out in the open for everyone to see. Also, as a male, your whole life you are taught to pee facing the toilet/urinal directly. So perhaps there is a certain level of conditioning that goes into it as well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
4 hours ago, Chrissy89 said:

Definitely privacy. If I squat…. 1) I want to see who’s around and 2) I don’t want my bum to be seen 🤣

Chrissy (squatting) “Does my bum look visible in this position?”

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
44 minutes ago, gldenwetgoose said:

I'm not a fan of the sort of generalisations that sometimes creep into these posts 

So I’m guessing my fantasy epic “Men piss in Mars, women piss onto Venus” would be unwelcome? 🙃

13 minutes ago, oliver2 said:

So I’m guessing my fantasy epic “Men piss in Mars, women piss onto Venus” would be unwelcome? 🙃

That was my first thought as to the answer to the question...   "Because men are from Mars..."

• Like 1

I've seen plenty ladies peeing in public and I agree that the vast majority will pee with their backs to the wall/bush/corner/etc.   I don't know for sure, but I tend to agree with what's been said above in that they want to be able to look out to see who is coming (even though when someone does come along, they generally carry on peeing and avert their eyes) but I have always assumed (and it is only an assumption) that they feel that their exposed bum is a larger and more obviously visible area than their smaller pussy area, which is also partially screened from the front by their legs and if wearing trousers, their clothing which is at their knees.

I do find it a little strange though because a lot of these same girls would wear thong bikinis on the beach and basically walk around with their bum pretty much completely on show.   That does seem a little bit of double standards, but I'm not complaining and I'm also not female so I'm not the right person to answer for the ladies.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Alfresco said:

I do find it a little strange though because a lot of these same girls would wear thong bikinis on the beach and basically walk around with their bum pretty much completely on show.   That does seem a little bit of double standards, but I'm not complaining and I'm also not female so I'm not the right person to answer for the ladies.

That's my thinking too, the frontal is more 

So far in this thread of mostly mansplaining I think situational awareness is the most convincing reason. If that is the reason, it's really unfortunate. I never thought of this example of male privilege before, he can ignore safety concerns and thus worry about his privacy even in a vulnerable state.

Though social norms makes sense too. Now that I think about it, even when using a funnel to "pee like a man", women aren't always peeing into a shrub or on a tree. In promotional images TinkleBelle has them pee in "the middle" rather than facing the fence. I wonder if there's marketing intelligence behind that decision.

7f7097b4-44ba-4f3e-96f5-76d6c253a09f.__C

• Like 2
On 3/8/2023 at 6:55 PM, Foobar said:

Though social norms makes sense too. Now that I think about it, even when using a funnel to "pee like a man", women aren't always peeing into a shrub or on a tree. In promotional images TinkleBelle has them pee in "the middle" rather than facing the fence. I wonder if there's marketing intelligence behind that decision.

There's also this Tinkle Bell ad photo where they are peeing on the side of the road 🙂

kuva_2023-03-12_082354633.png

• Like 1
On 3/8/2023 at 4:55 PM, Foobar said:

In promotional images TinkleBelle has them pee in "the middle" rather than facing the fence. I wonder if there's marketing intelligence behind that decision.

Maybe it just makes for a clearer image showing the stream more clearly. I guess they could have one with a girl peeing against a wall with an obvious wet mark, but maybe they’re going for “wholesome outdoors”

• Like 1
4 hours ago, oliver2 said:

Maybe it just makes for a clearer image showing the stream more clearly. I guess they could have one with a girl peeing against a wall with an obvious wet mark, but maybe they’re going for “wholesome outdoors”

This must be it. Not many people would see it as "appropriate" if there was an ad with a chick peeing standing up on a wall in an alley or something like that. Peeing outdoors in nature is something people are more likely to accept and see as "wholesome".

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, MonsterKane46 said:

I would say for security for the girls so they can see who is around. 

For men, to avoid exposing their penis. Despite what people will try and have you believe 95% of men actually don't want anyone seeing it. Especially not other men.

Yep. I definitely try to avoid exposing my penis too much. I used to be pee shy when I was younger and one of the things that made me feel awkward using urinals next to others was the fact that I felt so exposed having my penis out. I'm much better now but I still try to be polite and cover up a little bit.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Loller said:

Yep. I definitely try to avoid exposing my penis too much. I used to be pee shy when I was younger and one of the things that made me feel awkward using urinals next to others was the fact that I felt so exposed having my penis out. I'm much better now but I still try to be polite and cover up a little bit.

yeah I'm the same at urinals... try to make sure I am hidden at all costs

6 hours ago, MonsterKane46 said:

These days I'm sometimes more of the opposite: try to hide less in order to look more confident. Not that anyone really looks at urinals, though. Everyone's too busy trying to aim correctly to avoid splashback.

Edited by Loller
  • Haha 1
On 3/28/2023 at 9:24 AM, MonsterKane46 said:

I'm the same unless there is a female cleaner in there, or at an event where ladies are waiting to use the stalls in the gents.  In those cases I don't hide anything.

• Haha 2