Ladies Pee Pot

20 hours ago, Euro said:

I found this during a house clearance in the attic all covered in dust.

It's quite a plain example, but an interesting find none the less. I guess it is rather old, being made in white pottery. No makers mark.

LPPsml.thumb.jpg.f7c0be3551f8cd7474f05f8206057587.jpg

Great find! The correct name, apparently, is a bourdaloue. According to this article, it is "supposedly named for Louis Bourdaloue, a famous 17th century priest; the story goes that his sermons were so long that listeners would need to bring along a chamberpot to get through them". The design allows women "to use the bourdaloue while standing or squatting, rather than forcing them to sit": What is a Bourdaloue? (with picture) (wisegeek.com).

Edited by UnauthorisedGuy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hot 2
49 minutes ago, UnauthorisedGuy said:

Great find! The correct name, apparently, is a bourdaloue. According to this article, it is "supposedly named for Louis Bourdaloue, a famous 17th century priest; the story goes that his sermons were so long that listeners would need to bring along a chamberpot to get through them".

🎵Couldn’t escape if you wanted to

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, UnauthorisedGuy said:

Great find! The correct name, apparently, is a bourdaloue. According to this article, it is "supposedly named for Louis Bourdaloue, a famous 17th century priest; the story goes that his sermons were so long that listeners would need to bring along a chamberpot to get through them". The design allows women "to use the bourdaloue while standing or squatting, rather than forcing them to sit": What is a Bourdaloue? (with picture) (wisegeek.com).

Interesting bit of history, peeing in a cup in a holy place. I think this is one way we've really regressed as a society, now most people would excuse themselves to the bathroom, and the few brave enough would have to pee on the seat or floor. The Bourdaloue sounds like it was an ideal compromise, no mess, no need to resist nature's call, no need to miss part of the sermon (or in modern times I'd say something like a sporting event or movie).

4 hours ago, UnauthorisedGuy said:

21 minutes ago, Foobar said:

Interesting bit of history, peeing in a cup in a holy place. I think this is one way we've really regressed as a society, now most people would excuse themselves to the bathroom, and the few brave enough would have to pee on the seat or floor. The Bourdaloue sounds like it was an ideal compromise, no mess, no need to resist nature's call, no need to miss part of the sermon (or in modern times I'd say something like a sporting event or movie).

I would love to see that appear on a TV antiques show, where members of the public take in their family heirlooms and have them explained an valued.

• Agree 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, MasterDarcy said:

It can double as a gravy boat.

I had much the same notion  🙂  The other half also thought it an amusing idea. I am reluctant though. wouldn't want to risk it being broken in the washing up.

Suitable for flowers... Sweet Pea perhaps?

The Eagle eyed may have noticed that colette888 has one of these as her profile cover picture. Much more ornate than this one.

• Like 2
On 2/6/2023 at 6:16 AM, Euro said:

I found this during a house clearance in the attic all covered in dust.

It's quite a plain example, but an interesting find none the less. I guess it is rather old, being made in white pottery. No makers mark.

LPPsml.thumb.jpg.f7c0be3551f8cd7474f05f8206057587.jpg

Interested in thoughts of practicality and utility from women on the site?

• Agree 1
21 hours ago, gldenwetgoose said:

I would love to see that appear on a TV antiques show, where members of the public take in their family heirlooms and have them explained an valued.

Perhaps one of the experts would demo it....? Only way I'd tune in..... 

• Haha 1
On 2/7/2023 at 6:54 AM, Euro said:

I had much the same notion  🙂  The other half also thought it an amusing idea. I am reluctant though. wouldn't want to risk it being broken in the washing up.

Suitable for flowers... Sweet Pea perhaps?

The Eagle eyed may have noticed that colette888 has one of these as her profile cover picture. Much more ornate than this one.

I say use it as intended. It's probably been thirsty for decades or more.

On 2/6/2023 at 11:07 PM, UnauthorisedGuy said:

Bordaloue, the original portaloo! 😂

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Adyguy6970 said:

I have a gravy boat which is very similar.  Maybe it could serve a dual purpose? 

I'm absolutely sure it could (and should).

At the same time, did anyone else's mind go the same way as mine?

"How's the meal everyone, is the roast beef to everyone's liking, how about the vegetables?"

"It's lovely.   But is there any chance of a bit more gravy please?"

"Of course - just give me a second".  <zzzzip>

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
On 2/7/2023 at 11:54 AM, Euro said:

🙂   Yours prettier than mine

Edited by Euro
On 2/16/2023 at 10:51 AM, Euro said:

Are you sure? Could be a case of mistaken identity. Could it  be a Ladies Pee pot that you have been using for gravy

That's certainly a possibility.  So far I've used it without sustaining any ill effects. 

Edited by Adyguy6970
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, Adyguy6970 said:

That's certainly a possibility. 

Enjoy your Sunday dinner, perhaps with extra gravy, or? ...  🙂

Edit... I know I would with that thought in mind...

Edited by Euro
Just an addition..
  • Haha 1