Question to all

On 1/30/2023 at 10:52 PM, adamz33 said:

Would you consider going in your swimwear wetting when youre in some sort of water ( pool, sea/ocean, lake, river etc.) ?

Ps: i would really appreciate if i would get some answers please

I would never pee in a pool.  I heard that urine does not combine well with clorine in the sense that it causes a nasty chemical reaction to occur.   I also think it is just simply too contained and would involve innocent people.  The ocean or other bodies of water are fair game.  I would just go in my swim suit without pulling it aside.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, navesink01 said:

I heard that urine does not combine well with clorine in the sense that it causes a nasty chemical reaction to occur.

Urine reacts with chlorine to produce chloramines, which are an irritant and can cause blotchy skin, red eyes and itchiness.  The Chlorine reacts with Urea (which is a nitrogen rich compound) to produce  trichloramine.   This is actually what causes the smell that is most associated with swimming pools, not the chlorine itself.  Chlorine is a gas, so what is put into the pool is actually chlorine compounds which dissolve to leave free chlorine ions in the pool, which is what reacts with urine.  

Chloramines are produced by reactions of Chlorine with sweat, oils, deodorants, perfumes etc. so pee is not the only issue, but various analysis that I've seen indicates that pee is the largest contributory factor.

If the smell in the pool area is strong then it means that a lot of reaction has been going on, and the air circulation system hasn't been successful in clearing the air of the resulting gassed off compounds.

So, in reality, a small amount of pee from one person is going to make very little difference, the problem is more to do with the fact that a lot of people pee there.  So, if it is happening anyway then I'm quite happy to add my contribution.

Also of consideration is that there was a mention above about peeing where kids are - I think kids are the worst culprits for adding pee to the water anyway, so I wouldn't worry about that.  Generally if you go into the kids pool area, the chloramine smell is stronger than in the main swimming pool.

I have definitely seen adults encourage kids to pee in the pool and I've seen adults in the kids pool say that they pee so that they don't have to round the kids up and get everyone out just because they need to pee.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Maggie_555 said:

On your final comment I must say "Guilty as charged, your honour," as I've also peed in a kid's pool to avoid having to get out with my kids and disturb their fun.

Yep me too.  Also other people that I've known and also my wife.    We used to take our daughter swimming from an early age and I don't remember how the conversation ever came up with her, but it was definitely the case that we neither asked her to get out to pee, nor did either of us get out to pee.   She learned to swim at a health club pool rather than a council pool, so there wasn't a separate kids pool.  We took her there when it was "family time" and they had half the pool roped off for families and half the pool for lane swimmers.   There were always plenty of families in there, often for the full three hours of the session and it was rare to see anyone get out, go to the toilets and then return.   People usually just got out when they had been there long enough or some did get out and use the poolside shower and then return to the pool.   The only logical reason to do that would be if you were peeing, but I'm pretty confident that most people just peed in the pool like we did.

My daughter got really good at swimming and ended up competing at a national level.  I was involved as a time keeper rather than being bored sitting at the side of the pool at her events.   I saw several girls pee on the poolside and also saw girls pause at the end of a race and look at their crotches before getting out.   I also heard from others that it was a common practice to pee in the pool.

At the health club where my daughter learned to swim, I once saw a female lifeguard get down from her high chair, sit on the side of the pool with her legs in the water, stay there for about a minute and then splashed water over her crotch area before returning to the high seat.   I'm 100% sure she was having a quick pee without leaving the pool area.

At one of the pools where my daughter trained, which was a council pool, there was a kids pool and I saw mums who mostly sat on the side get into the pool, sit on the steps, pause for a minute, swish water around them and get out.   It was fairly obvious what they were doing, but they weren't worried about it.   I also had times where I saw mums sat on loungers by the pool, kids came out of the pool holding their hands on their crotch and went to their mums, bobbing up and down a bit, presumably asking their mums to take them to the toilet, but in each case the mum whispered to the child and then the child returned to the pool.

So, I think that even though there are a lot of people who won't openly admit it, there is a definite culture that it is acceptable to pee in the pool and even those who don't participate probably consider it a minor offence!  Certainly mums really don't want to be hassled with collecting up their kids and belongings just because they or their kids need to pee. Of course, as you say yourself @Maggie_555, having this culture introduced to you as a child leads to people continuing the practice into adulthood and repeating the experience and education when they are parents.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
13 hours ago, Maggie_555 said:

Thank you for this explanation Alfresco. In your first paragraph you mention blotchy skin, red eyes and itchiness, with this reminding of things my parents have told me in the past.  Growing-up in the 1950s they experienced pools (run by the local council) which they described as "having a very strong pool smell"

Do you think they knew that meant the pools had lots of pee in? 😃

5 hours ago, oliver2 said:

Do you think they knew that meant the pools had lots of pee in? 😃

From the way they've told me about their schooldays it seems that they had no thoughts on how much pee was in the pool water. They each accepted the strong 'pool smell' because they hadn't experienced anything else as kids. It wasn't until they were adults, taking me to pools as a young girl in the 1970s, that they realised the 'pool smell' wasn't so strong by then.  My dad thinks this possibly happened because of better maintenance and/or the pool water being changed more often, with just as many people probably peeing in pools then and now.

They certainly gave me encouragement to pee in the pool as a young girl, guiding me away from toilets before getting in - and also suggesting that I should try to pee again, one more time, before getting out at the end of my swim.  Of course I did so, soon realising it was actually 'naughty' and enjoying it!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Hot 1
12 minutes ago, Maggie_555 said:

My dad thinks this possibly happened because of better maintenance and/or the pool water being changed more often, with just as many people probably peeing in pools then and now.

That would be my guess, too. I wasn’t around in the 1950s but there’s plainly plenty of kids & adults who pee in pools

Edited by oliver2
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/9/2023 at 4:54 AM, Maggie_555 said:

I must admit this is something I try not to think about while I'm enjoying a nice long pee in a swimming pool. Of course I wouldn't deliberately release into the water close to kids, but I can't imagine getting out of a pool without peeing in it.  As a young girl I was strongly encouraged to pee in pools, by both my mum and dad, and so was my brother.  We'd be guided away from the toilets and then told "Just do it here in the water" when we were in the pool,  I'm guessing this is possibly why I don't worry about enjoying a naughty pee in a pool, even when there are kids in it.

to be fair, I would imagine half the kids are doing the same. Used to visit public pools a lot with my best friend, her son and her nephew back when the kids were about 9 or 10 (they are now 19) and none of us got out to go to the bathroom.

• Agree 1

I wonder if peeing in pools is more prevalent in cultures that are more adverse to public peeing? Growing up summers in the EU we would always be encouraged to get out of the pool and pee right beside it in the grass, bushes etc.. In those cultures no one thinks anything of kids peeing outside. It's normal just like on playgrounds of the park. I wonder if pools in those cultures have less pee?

• Agree 1
On 4/8/2023 at 6:50 PM, MonsterKane46 said:

to be fair, I would imagine half the kids are doing the same. Used to visit public pools a lot with my best friend, her son and her nephew back when the kids were about 9 or 10 (they are now 19) and none of us got out to go to the bathroom.

Thanks for your reassuring comments MonsterKane46 - and I'm pleased to hear that during pool visits with your best friend, "none of us got out to go to the bathroom." 😉

• Like 1
  • Love 1

As we have had some pretty warm weather the beaches have been pretty busy. A few of us decided to head down to one near us. It’s long drive and when we got there, at least a couple of us needed the bathroom when we got there. One of my friends Tanya, is quite conservative and does not say much. I noticed when she got out of the car, she immediately crossed her legs. I asked if she was okay she nodded and just said I need to pee. I said I wasn’t sure where the bathrooms were. She casually replied no it’s okay I’ll go in the sea. As we headed down to the beach and found a spot. Tanya stripped off her tracksuit bottoms and T-shirt, she was in a cute blue and white stripey bikini. I was already in my shorts so I decided to head down to the water myself. Tanya walked down to the waters edge with me. I looked at her and grinned and said actually I need a pee as well. We both got into the water and I was looking closely without being obvious. As soon as she got in to her mid thighs, I noticed her pee stream starting quite strongly from between her legs. She got in a little bit further until her waist was covered and stood there for about a minute. Okay? I asked. She grinned and replied. Yes, that’s better.
I love the beach

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • 3 months later...
On 3/9/2023 at 11:01 PM, Alfresco said:

This is actually what causes the smell that is most associated with swimming pools, not the chlorine itself.

While I don't doubt that chloramines have a smell,  the idea that chlorine itself does not smell is just an urban legend.   If you put a small amount of pool chlorine in pure distilled water,  it will still have a chlorine smell.

I can still smell the chlorine in my pool and spa even when they have just been filled with clean water from the mains and no-one has been in there. 

The only time the pool has no chlorine scent is if the chlorinator is set too low and the level of free chlorine ions  has fallen below one part per million.   (I have a titration test kit to monitor free chlorine accurately.)   Chloramines show up on another test, i.e.  the "combined chlorine" test,  and can be completely broken down by adding more free chlorine.

If a pool has no chlorine scent at all it is only a day or two from getting an algal bloom,  and is quite possibly unsafe for swimming.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
6 hours ago, likesToLick said:

While I don't doubt that chloramines have a smell,  the idea that chlorine itself does not smell is just an urban legend.   If you put a small amount of pool chlorine in pure distilled water,  it will still have a chlorine smell.

I can still smell the chlorine in my pool and spa even when they have just been filled with clean water from the mains and no-one has been in there. 

The only time the pool has no chlorine scent is if the chlorinator is set too low and the level of free chlorine ions  has fallen below one part per million.   (I have a titration test kit to monitor free chlorine accurately.)   Chloramines show up on another test, i.e.  the "combined chlorine" test,  and can be completely broken down by adding more free chlorine.

If a pool has no chlorine scent at all it is only a day or two from getting an algal bloom,  and is quite possibly unsafe for swimming.

I totally agree.  We used to use chlorine in our hot tub (we've converted to enzyme based sanitisers now) and yes, there was a definite chlorine smell from the initial fill, but the smell in pools is generally a bit different.  It is also very true that the dipstick kits and titration test look at free chlorine and that the level is very important in keeping things sanitised.  If you go higher with the concentration, there is a stronger smell, but it is an almost fresh, bleachy smell rather than the smell you get at some public pools.   If there is organic matter in the pool/hot tub, the free chlorine gets used up very quickly and more needs to be added.  If the pool has too many chloramines then the addition of extra chlorine will get rid of them by further reacting with the chloramines to break them apart.   This is often known as shocking because you have to add a large quantity of chlorine.   The pool would have to be closed to do this because the high level of chlorine would be considered unsafe and also ammonia gas can be given off.  

I'm no expert, but I know from my own hot tub that it is a delicate balance and you do have to be on top of it all the time to avoid having either to much or not enough free chlorine.   And yes, I've experienced the odd algal bloom when I've let it get too low!   We used to use a floating dispenser to gradually and continually add chlorine, but if we didn't use the tub very often, the levels sometimes went a bit high and if it ran out before we realised and we didn't check it for a few days then that could lead to the algal bloom.

• Agree 1
  • 2 months later...
On 1/30/2023 at 10:52 PM, adamz33 said:

Would you consider going in your swimwear wetting when youre in some sort of water ( pool, sea/ocean, lake, river etc.) ?

All the time. I always pee in the water when swimming. I also pee in my swimsuit when I'm not in the water. I'm usually not a fan of wetting myself, but in a swimsuit I definitely will, both wet and dry. 

There have been times I was at a friend's house with a group of my friends and we were chilling in his pool drinking some beers and whenever we had to pee we would just piss in the water. 

Edited by Phyche
  • Like 1