What useless information can you remember?

Sophie

12 hours ago, MC Cumzy said:

Crab sticks don't actually contain any crab, and from 1993 manufacturers have been legally obliged to label them "crab flavoured sticks"

At work we use imitation crab meat for one of the dishes that people can serve themselves and pulling out that block of fake crab meat and having to pull it apart and make it look real is one of the worst parts of my day. It smells so bad and I can't even begin to wrap my head around what it actually is if it's not crab lol.

• Hug 2

I can still remember the slogans, jingles and tunes from the cigarette commercials that were shown on children's television after school in the 1960s. That's pretty useless I think.

I'm a little surprised that I never actually took up smoking after that saturation campaign,  but I always was a right stubborn git.

I guess it worked in general,  because there were a lot of 10 and 11 year olds in my school who smoked.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

I can remember the number plate of my dad's old Ford Cortina Mk 3, which we last had in 1983. I can remember my gran's telephone number from when I was a kid in the 1970s. I can remember the phone number of my first serious girlfriend from about 1981. 

I know the name and monetary value of every single property on a monopoly board and what it is worth with any particular number of houses or hotels on it. In spite of the fact that I havent played monopoly since the 1990s.. 

And yet I seriously struggle to remember peoples names even if I have known them for years. Go figure.

I'm another who can remember lots of car registrations and telephone numbers from my past as well as addresses of people that were friends that probably no longer live there and I've not been in touch with for years.  Various physics and chemistry formulae (eg, v=ut+ ½ at^2), chemical formulae for various compounds.

I do remember some stuff that is relevant now but not frequently used such as my NI number, work employee number, Driving licence number.  Interestingly I don't remember my passport number, but I do remember my bank sort code and account number (which actually can be useful).

But then there are other recent things that I am hopelessly forgetful about.

On 1/24/2023 at 12:03 AM, Sophie said:

I seem to retain the most useless or random information and I am sure something really important has been pushed out of my ear as a result.

For example, I can remember the barcode for a Creme Egg (50201600) I have never worked in retail and I don't even like Creme Eggs yet here we are.

CadCamEgg_1.png

I know that code off by heart too, though in my case I have good reason. I work in retail and those damned bar codes on those eggs rarely work so you keep having to type the number in. You quickly realise that it saves time if you memorise it. How the fuck you know it when you dont even work in retail is impressive indeed in the useless information stakes, lol

• Haha 1