Jump to content

Were Pee Troughs in Bars Real?


Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, AbbyPeePrincess said:

That’s a shame since gender bathrooms weren’t a thing until the late 1800’s I would have snuck in 😂 

Stick your hair up under your cap and put on a pair of dungarees? You might've drawn some suspicious looks if you tried to pee there. 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
5 hours ago, muffinhuntr said:

Same as any other mens toilet. off to the side

The article I was talking about mentioned that pee troughs existed AT THE BAR itself. So you could literally pee as you drank your beer while standing at the bar! See pics below for examples. It’s like a drain that runs the length of the bar. Have you come across these in your travels? Apparently many bars had them but they were decommissioned as times changed. Fascinating concept though, don’t you think? 

F495F0B4-22F9-429A-9916-63FA1548AADF.jpeg

C78B6C43-0FC6-4F97-B3D8-5C1AC424275B.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Hot 1
Link to post
4 hours ago, MidoriLemonade85 said:

The article I was talking about mentioned that pee troughs existed AT THE BAR itself. So you could literally pee as you drank your beer while standing at the bar! See pics below for examples. It’s like a drain that runs the length of the bar. Have you come across these in your travels? Apparently many bars had them but they were decommissioned as times changed. Fascinating concept though, don’t you think? 

F495F0B4-22F9-429A-9916-63FA1548AADF.jpeg

C78B6C43-0FC6-4F97-B3D8-5C1AC424275B.jpeg

I've seen them, but never used one at the bar. TBH I didn't know that's what it was for. Pretty handy, drink a beer, get rid of the used portion

  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
12 minutes ago, AbbyPeePrincess said:

I was talking about this to my grandpa he said his father my great grandfather pee in a troughs when he was a bar in the uk in the 1960’s in a rundown bar 

Bars commonly have troughs (to this day) inside of the men's room to pee into.  Is this what he was meaning?

I have never seen troughs around the base of a bar (besides the pictures of antiques in this thread) to pee into,

  • Agree 1
Link to post

Many years ago when I was really young, I remember visiting friends in an old neighborhood in the Philadelphia area, and a couple of the men joked about stopping by an old saloon to "take a pee" at the bar, like their grandfather did. I remember they specifically said peeing where they drank their beer. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to post
1 hour ago, Johnboy777 said:

Many years ago when I was really young, I remember visiting friends in an old neighborhood in the Philadelphia area, and a couple of the men joked about stopping by an old saloon to "take a pee" at the bar, like their grandfather did. I remember they specifically said peeing where they drank their beer. 

It makes sense most articles says it was spitting tobacco but why did it have a plumbing system their obviously for pee

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
8 hours ago, Johnboy777 said:

Many years ago when I was really young, I remember visiting friends in an old neighborhood in the Philadelphia area, and a couple of the men joked about stopping by an old saloon to "take a pee" at the bar, like their grandfather did. I remember they specifically said peeing where they drank their beer. 

Another vote of confirmation then.

Link to post

I'm a little confused on the mechanics of this. I get the gutter at the bottom but that risks the fine wood work getting piss soaked. Aim down is not really natural and if I'm consuming copious amounts of the product over the bar even less likely to happen. 

  • Agree 3
Link to post
3 hours ago, F0rester said:

I'm a little confused on the mechanics of this. I get the gutter at the bottom but that risks the fine wood work getting piss soaked. Aim down is not really natural and if I'm consuming copious amounts of the product over the bar even less likely to happen. 

I feel that it would be clean by someone. I think they would put a metal sheet to protect the wood work 

  • Like 1
Link to post
14 minutes ago, AbbyPeePrincess said:

 

Yes I have always wondered what those drain at bars where for 

Yes it’s a good concept to be honest. I like using a steel trough rather than the usual urinal as I feel I can piss more freely 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...