Were Pee Troughs in Bars Real?

37 minutes ago, AbbyPeePrincess said:

"It makes more sense if your a business owner since less time leaving to the restroom more time drinking and spending money..."

From a business standpoint, having a convenient place for men to pee makes sense. Why have your customers walk all the way to a restroom to piss. Make  it convenient, let them urinate at the bar, and they're more likely to continue ordering drinks.

• Love 1
On 11/28/2022 at 7:37 PM, Havelock said:

There is a famous bar in SF that still has one. I don't think anyone has used it recently, although it would be fun on a busy night. What makes me doubt their primary purpose being a urinal is that the tile does not go all the way up the front of the bar.  The front of the bar where your pee would hit is wood. That would not work well. https://toilet-guru.com/barbary-coast.html

Damn, if I had known about this I would have checked it out when I was in SF.

On 11/28/2022 at 4:43 AM, Takashi96 said:

Yes, I've read about them also. But I don't think they were ever common. Also, much earlier than the 50s. I think they were installed in places where either women were forbidden or segregated by gender?

They should bring them back for gay/lesbian bars.

• Agree 3
18 hours ago, Ms. Tito said:

They should bring them back for gay/lesbian bars.

There are some gay bars with trough urinals mounted in the main bar area. As in, outside of the men's room. At least according to a friend of mine who is a world traveling gay bar enthusiast. I'd never thought to ask before, but I wonder what the regular men's room is like in those bars? 

I don't believe pee troughs would get much use at lesbian bars. Not that they would be useless. But if I were building a lesbian bar, I wouldn't spend the extra money to have one installed. Or urinals either.

• Agree 1
  • 5 months later...

I'm resurrecting a topic that @MidoriLemonade85 started in November 2022. I recently found this article while researching our favorite subject, PEE.   If any member wants to comment I'd like to read your opinions on this fascinating topic. 

https://www.joesixpack.net/2017/03/01/that-thing-at-your-feet-its-not-a-pee-trough/

[Moderator's note - No need for a Part Two...   Just posting will bring the topic to life and back to page one]

Edited by Johnboy777
  • Love 1
On 12/1/2022 at 6:48 PM, Johnboy777 said:

From a business standpoint, having a convenient place for men to pee makes sense. Why have your customers walk all the way to a restroom to piss. Make  it convenient, let them urinate at the bar, and they're more likely to continue ordering drinks.

We think the same way. 💚

• Love 1

As a kid, I loved peeing in long trough urinals in sports stadiums. They still exist at Wrigley Field in Chicago.

I never heard of a bar urinal before. On a few occasions I have peed from my seat at the bar, out the leg hole of shorts, onto a wood or tile floor.  Had to make sure there was no one behind me who could see it.

• Like 1
On 5/24/2023 at 3:31 PM, WillAndSarah said:

Can confirm they're real; I know of at least one that was still in use as recently as 2014. Used it quite frequently actually.

I believe they are a men's room-only phenomenon (doesn't really work as a concept for ladies) afaik.

I think there are two things being confused here--trough urinals in men's restrooms (whether the bathrooms are in bars or not), and troughs at the bar itself.

Trough urinals in bathrooms certainly did and still DO exist (and are still fully hooked up and used)--they're not just found in bars but also in some athletic stadiums, parks/rest stops out in the middle of nowhere, etc. They replace separate urinals with one very wide fixture, along which many guys can line up. They are indeed a male only phenomenon, at least in the West--the closest thing I've heard of in women's bathrooms is a long channel in the floor for squatting, and those only exist in Asia. Most of those have dividers, although according to some people in one of the "Asian peeing habits" threads, they don't always, which makes them just as open. And whether with dividers or not, those have one thing that makes them at least to me much odder of an idea than the men's urinals--and that's the fact that they are used for #2 in addition to #1, so you are watching that go by as you do your business. 

It's the trough at the actual bar that may well have never existed. I'm sure that far back in history, there were some quite primitive facilities in drinking establishments, but it would strike me as odd to actually pee while sitting at the bar and drinking, and not at least walk behind some kind of wall.

• 3 months later...
On 12/2/2022 at 6:53 PM, Takashi96 said:

I don't believe pee troughs would get much use at lesbian bars. Not that they would be useless. But if I were building a lesbian bar, I wouldn't spend the extra money to have one installed. Or urinals either.

I would

On 9/3/2023 at 3:36 AM, oliver2 said:

🥰 Like, an actual bar trough, in front of the bar, or just a pee-designed-wall-and-drain in the bathroom?

One of those stainless steel troughs in the bathroom. Like, not wall-and-drain, but more like this.

image.png.7b6efb72b71b8f8028688a45c05ee1d2.png

• Thanks 1