Were Pee Troughs in Bars Real?

34 minutes ago, AbbyPeePrincess said:

That’s a shame since gender bathrooms weren’t a thing until the late 1800’s I would have snuck in 😂 

Stick your hair up under your cap and put on a pair of dungarees? You might've drawn some suspicious looks if you tried to pee there. 

• Agree 1
5 hours ago, muffinhuntr said:

Same as any other mens toilet. off to the side

The article I was talking about mentioned that pee troughs existed AT THE BAR itself. So you could literally pee as you drank your beer while standing at the bar! See pics below for examples. It’s like a drain that runs the length of the bar. Have you come across these in your travels? Apparently many bars had them but they were decommissioned as times changed. Fascinating concept though, don’t you think? 

F495F0B4-22F9-429A-9916-63FA1548AADF.jpeg

C78B6C43-0FC6-4F97-B3D8-5C1AC424275B.jpeg

• Like 2
4 hours ago, MidoriLemonade85 said:

The article I was talking about mentioned that pee troughs existed AT THE BAR itself. So you could literally pee as you drank your beer while standing at the bar! See pics below for examples. It’s like a drain that runs the length of the bar. Have you come across these in your travels? Apparently many bars had them but they were decommissioned as times changed. Fascinating concept though, don’t you think? 

F495F0B4-22F9-429A-9916-63FA1548AADF.jpeg

C78B6C43-0FC6-4F97-B3D8-5C1AC424275B.jpeg

I've seen them, but never used one at the bar. TBH I didn't know that's what it was for. Pretty handy, drink a beer, get rid of the used portion

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, AbbyPeePrincess said:

I was talking about this to my grandpa he said his father my great grandfather pee in a troughs when he was a bar in the uk in the 1960’s in a rundown bar 

Bars commonly have troughs (to this day) inside of the men's room to pee into.  Is this what he was meaning?

I have never seen troughs around the base of a bar (besides the pictures of antiques in this thread) to pee into,

• Agree 1

Many years ago when I was really young, I remember visiting friends in an old neighborhood in the Philadelphia area, and a couple of the men joked about stopping by an old saloon to "take a pee" at the bar, like their grandfather did. I remember they specifically said peeing where they drank their beer. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Johnboy777 said:

Many years ago when I was really young, I remember visiting friends in an old neighborhood in the Philadelphia area, and a couple of the men joked about stopping by an old saloon to "take a pee" at the bar, like their grandfather did. I remember they specifically said peeing where they drank their beer. 

Another vote of confirmation then.

I'm a little confused on the mechanics of this. I get the gutter at the bottom but that risks the fine wood work getting piss soaked. Aim down is not really natural and if I'm consuming copious amounts of the product over the bar even less likely to happen. 

• Agree 3
14 minutes ago, AbbyPeePrincess said:

Yes I have always wondered what those drain at bars where for 

Yes it’s a good concept to be honest. I like using a steel trough rather than the usual urinal as I feel I can piss more freely 

10 minutes ago, AbbyPeePrincess said:

I have pissed at a bar once also

Really? Sounds interesting, please tell us more.

On the topic in point, I would have thought a trough at crotch height rather than on the floor would be  more hygienic 

There was a local night club years ago with an ordinary bar and deep pile carpets where the guys would just pee up against the bar while ordering a drink. I had used to do the same and piss against the side of the bar while waiting to be served. It closed some years ago unfortunately 

• Hot 2
3 hours ago, AbbyPeePrincess said:

I feel that it would be clean by someone. I think they would put a metal sheet to protect the wood work 

It would be a bitch to clean every night. Why not just cover the bar in shower tiles? 

It seems like if it were designed for tobacco the drain would get plugged up pretty easily. 

Edited by Takashi96
Added information
3 minutes ago, AbbyPeePrincess said:

It makes more sense if your a business owner since less time leaving to the restroom more time drinking and spending money like the middle aged Chinese woman 

I'm surprised she didn't put the cops on your gwai lo ass.