Were Pee Troughs in Bars Real?

… or were they an urban legend? I have only just heard of them and it has kind of blown my mind. I believe they were around til the 1950s? 
This article says:

“Erickson’s featured a trough that ran along the bar – a urinal trough. That way loggers and sailors and miners drinking at the bar didn’t have to take a break from their drinking and dainty lunch repasting – they could just whip it out and piss right at the bar. A wonderful old-timey accoutrement that really is a harbinger of  “days gone by…””

http://orhistory.com/archives/2524

Does anyone know about them? 

Wow! I didn't know such things existed! I imagine that a tiled trough with a drain served the additional purpose of preventing the floor nearest to the bar getting damaged from repeated beer spills too.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
8 minutes ago, MidoriLemonade85 said:

… or were they an urban legend? I have only just heard of them and it has kind of blown my mind. I believe they were around til the 1950s? 
This article says:

“Erickson’s featured a trough that ran along the bar – a urinal trough. That way loggers and sailors and miners drinking at the bar didn’t have to take a break from their drinking and dainty lunch repasting – they could just whip it out and piss right at the bar. A wonderful old-timey accoutrement that really is a harbinger of  “days gone by…””

http://orhistory.com/archives/2524

Does anyone know about them? 

Yes, I've read about them also. But I don't think they were ever common. Also, much earlier than the 50s. I think they were installed in places where either women were forbidden or segregated by gender?

Edited by Takashi96
Clarity
  • Agree 1
1 hour ago, Takashi96 said:

Yes, I've read about them also. But I don't think they were ever common. Also, much earlier than the 50s. I think they were installed in places where either women were forbidden or segregated by gender?

Makes sense.  And I guess if you keep the patrons at the bar longer they’ll spend all their cash!? 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Kupar said:

Wow! I didn't know such things existed! I imagine that a tiled trough with a drain served the additional purpose of preventing the floor nearest to the bar getting damaged from repeated beer spills too.

Yes, I was amazed too! And yes, possibly. Though, from what I’ve read, these places were pretty rough and rowdy, so there would have been plenty of spillages and breakages, and not just near the bar. Some articles I read said they never existed…it was just a made up story, but others reckoned they were real, and they were utilised. Another article said it was not designed for pissing into….the punters used to spit into them (something to do with tobacco I think) or blow the heads off their beers into these drains. Maybe the usage evolved into being a pissing trough over time, and many drunken nights? Fascinating to think about. But, I guess all the users would be dead by now, so we may never know the truth. I just thought maybe someone here might have heard stories from their grandparents about these places. Who knows. 

You know what I’m going to say, don’t you?! I think they should make a comeback! In bars, restaurants, and anywhere people have to queue for ages! The ultimate in nonchalant peeing…..a time-saver, and fun too! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

This was not at a bar , but at a privately owned swimming lake . It was way back in the late 70's -early 80's. I don't know if it still exists. But yea the had a long trough-actually an elongated  sink, space for 4 or 5 guys.  It took the place of urinals. There was one toilet. We had to stand out in the open with our penis out and pee, in front of everybody, with no privacy whatsoever. 

I was Okay if nobody was standing there next to me, but I was just coming out of a long period of being pee shy. No matter how badly I needed to pee, how much pain i was in I could not go.The toilet was usually occupied with guys doing the other thing the other thing   I would be desperate, so I frequently returned to the trough - and stand there with my painfully throbbing dick  in my hand and do nothing. I was conscious how weird this looked which made it worse.

I thought about going in the woods but there was too many people around.

Finally the pain became unbearable, and I was afraid I was going to pee in my bathing suit. Odd if that could happen fully out in public , but not in the trough in the men's room. But in any event I was so full  I could not stand up straight. Back then I had not yet peed in a swimming area . But I had no choice, I couldn't keep holding it and enjoy the day. So I walked into the deep and ice cold lake. With that temperature  shock my bladder had no choice than to let go. AHHH peeing in my bathing suit never felt so good. 

This was a popular swimming are and aside from my problem we loved it. I could not say I don't want to go there because I can't pee. So I had to hope for some privacy at some point in my frequent visits to try to get relief or find some other place to pee.

I hated that trough and having to expose myself and urinate in front of several guys, and wounder if they are looking, even though that is unacceptable.

• Hug 1

I have used many pee troughs. One of the local bars here has one and there are a few at the mens at the state fairs. I have use some overseas in the more seedy places. I never minded peeing next to another guy as long as he didn't stare at my dick.

I think you'll find some pics on here of girls peeing in the men's trough.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Scot_Lover said:

Reminds me of Troughman, lol. 

Troughman

1970 to 2000, or thereabouts. Also known as Barry Charles, he is almost legendary in the Sydney gay community.

Ah Troughman - a Sydney icon! I have friends who’ve met him over the years. Said he’s a lovey guy. 

And I’ve been to pubs here in Australia where there has been a (sadly decommissioned) trough at the bar. I’ve always wanted to surreptitiously use it haha. 

• Love 1

There is a famous bar in SF that still has one. I don't think anyone has used it recently, although it would be fun on a busy night. What makes me doubt their primary purpose being a urinal is that the tile does not go all the way up the front of the bar.  The front of the bar where your pee would hit is wood. That would not work well. https://toilet-guru.com/barbary-coast.html

• Agree 2

Apparently it's a common myth: https://www.joesixpack.net/2017/03/01/that-thing-at-your-feet-its-not-a-pee-trough/

While it's not too hard to imagine that open public peeing while drinking was once a thing back when the bar-going population was virtually exclusively male, this clearly wasn't the case during the time frame when those troughs were used. Who knows what was acceptable at drinking locales in more ancient history though?

• Love 1
15 hours ago, wettingman said:

This was not at a bar , but at a privately owned swimming lake . It was way back in the late 70's -early 80's. I don't know if it still exists. But yea the had a long trough-actually an elongated  sink, space for 4 or 5 guys.  It took the place of urinals. There was one toilet. We had to stand out in the open with our penis out and pee, in front of everybody, with no privacy whatsoever. 

I was Okay if nobody was standing there next to me, but I was just coming out of a long period of being pee shy. No matter how badly I needed to pee, how much pain i was in I could not go.The toilet was usually occupied with guys doing the other thing the other thing   I would be desperate, so I frequently returned to the trough - and stand there with my painfully throbbing dick  in my hand and do nothing. I was conscious how weird this looked which made it worse.

I thought about going in the woods but there was too many people around.

Finally the pain became unbearable, and I was afraid I was going to pee in my bathing suit. Odd if that could happen fully out in public , but not in the trough in the men's room. But in any event I was so full  I could not stand up straight. Back then I had not yet peed in a swimming area . But I had no choice, I couldn't keep holding it and enjoy the day. So I walked into the deep and ice cold lake. With that temperature  shock my bladder had no choice than to let go. AHHH peeing in my bathing suit never felt so good. 

This was a popular swimming are and aside from my problem we loved it. I could not say I don't want to go there because I can't pee. So I had to hope for some privacy at some point in my frequent visits to try to get relief or find some other place to pee.

I hated that trough and having to expose myself and urinate in front of several guys, and wounder if they are looking, even though that is unacceptable.

That sounds like an intense day!!

12 hours ago, Scot_Lover said:

Reminds me of Troughman, lol. 

Troughman

1970 to 2000, or thereabouts. Also known as Barry Charles, he is almost legendary in the Sydney gay community.

I can’t believe I have never heard of him. I partied at some Sydney gay clubs in late 90s, early 2000s. Fascinating. Sydney produces some real characters!

11 hours ago, muffinhuntr said:

I have used many pee troughs. One of the local bars here has one and there are a few at the mens at the state fairs. I have use some overseas in the more seedy places. I never minded peeing next to another guy as long as he didn't stare at my dick.

I think you'll find some pics on here of girls peeing in the men's trough.

Wow. And these troughs were next to the bar where you ordered your beers? 

10 hours ago, Couple92 said:

Ah Troughman - a Sydney icon! I have friends who’ve met him over the years. Said he’s a lovey guy. 

And I’ve been to pubs here in Australia where there has been a (sadly decommissioned) trough at the bar. I’ve always wanted to surreptitiously use it haha. 

Aww. He does sound lovely. 
Ah I guess health and safety laws bugger up everything eventually, don’t they? Or maybe cleaners refused to clean them?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Havelock said:

There is a famous bar in SF that still has one. I don't think anyone has used it recently, although it would be fun on a busy night. What makes me doubt their primary purpose being a urinal is that the tile does not go all the way up the front of the bar.  The front of the bar where your pee would hit is wood. That would not work well. https://toilet-guru.com/barbary-coast.html

Fascinating! Well, maybe the punters were polite and pissed down into trough rather than towards the wood? 😆 It is so interesting how times change, isn’t it? Wish I had a Delorean to go back in time!!

3 hours ago, Carb0nBased said:

Apparently it's a common myth: https://www.joesixpack.net/2017/03/01/that-thing-at-your-feet-its-not-a-pee-trough/

While it's not too hard to imagine that open public peeing while drinking was once a thing back when the bar-going population was virtually exclusively male, this clearly wasn't the case during the time frame when those troughs were used. Who knows what was acceptable at drinking locales in more ancient history though?

For sure! Ancient times would have been pretty messy and fun I would say! Especially the really hedonistic cultures.