Oldest toilet at Kyoto temple hit by man in car

Just now, Bacardi said:

I would love to know how you accidentally back your car up with that much force. That's wild.

I mean it is 700 years old so it probably wouldn't take much force. I agree tho, the man backed up pretty far before stopping, lol

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Peenicks said:

I mean it is 700 years old so it probably wouldn't take much force. I agree tho, the man backed up pretty far before stopping, lol

I mean, look at how far into the building he went lol. There is debris everywhere! Why didn't the building stop him 🤣

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, Bacardi said:

I would love to know how you accidentally back your car up with that much force. That's wild.

Can happen if the driver has a seizure or a stroke.  You can briefly lose control of your muscles, so they lock in one position.  It can be an early sign of a brain tumor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, MidoriLemonade85 said:

That is sad. 😢

Also, what the heck kind of car is that!?

At first glance I thought the name badge on the back said 'Vulva'

10 hours ago, Bacardi said:

There have been quite a few cases where people, usually driving automatics, have a brain fog moment of trying to step on the brake but actually hitting the gas, and because the car doesn't slow then stamping hard on the pedal.  I'm not going to generalise in an ageist way here.   There was a prosecution a couple of years ago where a woman on the other side of my city had been trying to park, her car had swerved onto the pavement and crushed a pedestrian.  Her defence were trying to argue a vehicle braking defect. No idea what happened though.

15 minutes ago, gldenwetgoose said:

At first glance I thought the name badge on the back said 'Vulva'

There have been quite a few cases where people, usually driving automatics, have a brain fog moment of trying to step on the brake but actually hitting the gas, and because the car doesn't slow then stamping hard on the pedal.  I'm not going to generalise in an ageist way here.   There was a prosecution a couple of years ago where a woman on the other side of my city had been trying to park, her car had swerved onto the pavement and crushed a pedestrian.  Her defence were trying to argue a vehicle braking defect. No idea what happened though.

Vulva! 😆

Yes, I guess human error has all kind of ways and means. 

36 minutes ago, gldenwetgoose said:

There have been quite a few cases where people, usually driving automatics, have a brain fog moment of trying to step on the brake but actually hitting the gas

Nah, you just try to put the clutch down as you roll gently to a stop. There isn’t a clutch, so you accidentally slam the brakes on and whoever’s driving behind you drives into your rear end.

That isn’t what happened here, because anyone who drives a temple around on wheels drives cautiously and defensively and would have had time to stop.

That said if I’d done this I’d driven a car into an ancient church I would have said a number of very rude words, some of which might have meant something related to “vulva” 😶

Edited by oliver2
1 minute ago, oliver2 said:

Nah, you just try to put the clutch down as you roll gently to a stop. There isn’t a clutch, so you accidentally slam the brakes on and whoever’s driving behind you drives into your rear end.

That isn’t what happened here, because anyone who drives a temple around on wheels drives cautiously and defensively and would have had time to stop.

Well that's what a competent but forgetful person would do certainly. But I can see that it's possible some (temporarily) confused drivers might step on the accelerator accidentally.

7 hours ago, likesToLick said:

Can happen if the driver has a seizure or a stroke.  You can briefly lose control of your muscles, so they lock in one position.  It can be an early sign of a brain tumor.

Never thought of it like that. Thanks for the insight!

• Like 1

It’s a WiLL which makes this slightly funny as they are a obscure werid looking car.

There has been an issue in Japan for quite some time with older people (I’m talking 85+) driving cars and crashing due to their age I believe, I’m not sure if this is due to that but I have seen news stories about older people causing serious accidents and how it’s a serious issue in Japan.

On 10/22/2022 at 8:09 AM, gldenwetgoose said:

There have been quite a few cases where people, usually driving automatics, have a brain fog moment of trying to step on the brake but actually hitting the gas, and because the car doesn't slow then stamping hard on the pedal. 

I actually witnessed this with someone I know.   She was parking her car in a car park, pulled into a space forwards as normal and just as she was about half a metre from the fence across the end of the space she suddenly accelerated hard into the fence to the point where she hit the fence with a large force and continued to hold the accelerator down, spinning the wheels on the tarmac whilst the car was held in place by the fence.   Thankfully the fence was substantial, being constructed of steel box section framework with wooden vertical strips made of three inch half round logs.   She destroyed the wood for the width of the car, badly damaged the car bumper, radiator, lights and wings, but thankfully the steel frame of the fence only bent otherwise she would have careered across a play park.   She held the accelerator pedal down hard for a good few seconds after she hit the fence before she realised what was happening and released it, so I can see how the guy from the original post may have held down the accelerator and continued into the building.   After the event, she couldn't really understand what had happened, but everything pointed to her trying to brake as she approached the fence, but pressing the wrong pedal and then pressing it harder when she wasn't stopping.   She was in serious shock and had to be taken home, but everyone was thankful that the fence had been so strongly constructed and therefore prevented what could have been very serious if the car had gone into children playing in the park.   

• Hug 1