Splash-proof urinal mat that actually works.

I was travelling and stopped at a public toilet with a full bladder.  I let my pee stream spray onto the mat in the bottle of the urinal (used to keep debris out of the drain) and suprisingly, no splatter at all.

Normally, I get at least some splatter (most stays inside of the urinal).

This one looked like others that I have seen, with many tightly spaced rods sticking up about 3-4 mm.  Most of the other ones only reduce the splatter, but this one actually worked!

I didn't see a name on it, but I had to comment that it worked perfectly as intended.

• Like 1

The standard guards are not great for splatter avoidance.  I tend to pee on the ceramic above the guard as I find that gives less splashback.

The best urinals I have found are the ones where the central part of the back of the urinal is formed as a fin sticking forward so that instead of one large receptacle, it is divided into two as below:

1725838437_Screenshot2022-10-04at7_31_16am.thumb.png.5a1a6080032d8657c83e5531fa7e84f5.png

The curves are designed to take the flow out of your pee and direct it rather than firing it back at you.  They obviously have had some serious design input as I have tried peeing into all the different areas and don’t get any splash back. 

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

My husband tells me that he has these in the urinals at work and they smell quite nice (and strong) at first. They work great for reducing the splashback. They used to have the orange ones and a couple of weeks ago they changed to purple. 

81HuUXSkliL._SX342_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Sophie said:

My husband tells me that he has these in the urinals at work and they smell quite nice (and strong) at first. They work great for reducing the splashback. They used to have the orange ones and a couple of weeks ago they changed to purple. 

Maybe they gradually change colour when pissed on?

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, Sophie said:

81HuUXSkliL._SX342_.jpg

Thanks, I am not sure if it is the same kind.  I don't remember seeing any obvious branding (or at least it wasn't memorable) on the mat that I found worked well.  There are many brands of mats that have the "fingers" or "bristles" like this, but they all don't work equally effective in preventing splashback/splattering.

@Sophie, I assume they would work equally well for women that have splashback problems, if they were located appropriately in toilets.

Having visited urinals in various service stations, airports, shopping centres, restaurants and my own employer's facilities etc over the last few weeks these mats seem to be becoming the norm now.  On the whole the 'gents urinal' scent is becoming a thing of the past.

Some of the mats just seem to be flat like the blue ones above, and others have the spikes as the orange one shows.

I found one with a translucent white mat recently, slightly yellowed in the centre and the mat itself was sort of partly on the rear face of the urinal rather than centred over the drain. That meant that a large part of the mat was facing me - so I decided to put the anti-splash theory to the test by peeing as forcefully as I could at the mat.  It did work amazingly, my pee bubbling and foaming but no traces of splashes anywhere.

I guess it works a little like the foam spikes in an anechoic chamber - any sound echoing back into the spikes until all its energy is dissipated.

There's a lot of photographic evidence of ladies peeing a lot more forcefully than my prostate allows - so if anyone wants to continue the experiment I look forward to any results... 

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, gldenwetgoose said:

I guess it works a little like the foam spikes in an anechoic chamber - any sound echoing back into the spikes until all its energy is dissipated.

That would be a sensible theory for the spiky ones. And I guess if the flatter ones (they won't be as flat as a hard porcelain surface) give a little they'll dissipate the energy that way. Most have holes in them too, so some pee will go through but won't necessarily be able to bounce back through the same little hole.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
On 10/21/2022 at 7:25 PM, Sophie said:

81HuUXSkliL._SX342_.jpg

These work really well. Always a pleasure to use a urinal with one of these in it.

On 10/21/2022 at 5:25 PM, Sophie said:

81HuUXSkliL._SX342_.jpg

Yes, I find that these are quite common now.   They work if you aim your pee at the mat, but it obviously doesn't help at all if you just aim at the urinal somewhere other than the mat.  I am not sure that too many people have realised that the idea is to pee directly onto them, but think of them just as an odour control.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/21/2022 at 5:25 PM, Sophie said:

81HuUXSkliL._SX342_.jpg

They have been changed for a light blue one now. Apparently they smell like the fabric conditioners you can get. Imagine "Spring Breeze" or "Cotton Fresh" 

• Like 2
On 10/21/2022 at 4:25 PM, Sophie said:

81HuUXSkliL._SX342_.jpg

I piss a pretty thick, strong stream and these were the only ones that could take it without splashing back. They work really well...

• Like 1

When I saw the topic mention "urinal mat" I thought it was about the little floor mats placed under the urinal, to catch any drips. When I find one of these it calls out to me to pee directly onto the mat and see if it soaks it all in. Those splash mats inside the urinal? If possible (no one around) I don't pay them any attention -- just pee on the wall to the side.

• Hot 1
  • 1 month later...

Not a urinal mat but over here we have these types of urinals in some mens rooms. The design is pretty old so it's getting pretty rare. The urinal stands on the floor instead of being hung on the wall and this makes it so that you can aim low inside and most of the splashing (if there is any) stays inside the bowl. Some don't even have the grate shown in the picture so you can also aim directly into the water that is in the bottom of the urinal.

kuva_2022-12-31_151105890.png

Edited by Loller
  • Like 1