This forum has altered my English

15 hours ago, Eliminature said:

"Dou I SOUUNND like Katherine Hepburn, Daaaahling??" 😉

I speak nothing like that in real life, though. I grew up in the North of England but I've lived in various towns/cities the Midlands all my adult life. There's little trace of my Northern accent or dialect now. 

Katherine Hepburn is American, dahling! I mean, technically. I must confess, as a not entirely white person, I have a long running fascination with unforgivably white, old money families from the east coast, who are such fucking anglophiles that they're incapable of losing the accents of their ancestors. And of course Hollywood in the 30s demanded all their young talent learn the Trans Atlantic accent. An accent invented to demonstrate class rather than region of origin. 

I suppose your voice/my head voice is sort of...Well, it's more to do with clear pronunciation. Like I can't hear you saying "innit" or something like that. It's a bit Cate Blanchet, I suppose. And see, now I'm doing it again! I just wrote that in the accent of a London School of Economics drop-out turned aspiring blues musician. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Eliminature said:

Interestingly, many British women use the word "pants" to describe female underwear, just as they would with male underwear. I do get this; it's supposed to be a unisex, catch all term without sexual connotations. However, I just can't bring myself to call women's underwear "pants." It feels too much the opposite way - unsexy and mildly nauseating. I'm fine with the word "knickers," though. 

I tend to refer to underwear by style rather than dividing it into male/female garments. Boxers, briefs, French cut, g string, bloomies* etc. 

*bloomers are rarely worn nowadays, but I remember my late grandma referring to them when I was a child. 

I feel you. After all, pants is our word for trousers. Referring to any form of undergarment as pants is quite odd to American ears. Knickers isn't neccesarily dirty, but we don't use it in the States. I think many of us were first exposed to the word through "boy you've been a naughty girl, you let your knickers down." And assumed that was a term for girls underwear. 

Come to think of it so do I. I favor boxers or boxer briefs (I recently learned that a friend of a friend invented them). Which I refer to as boxers or drawls. In my neighborhood we frequently use the term drawls. But that's pretty isolated to the urban north and the rural south. 

Bloomers still exist? In the States any style of women's underwear slightly larger than a g string is subject to being dubbed "granny panties."

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
4 hours ago, Kupar said:

Indeed - are you a fan? Legendary band. Marr's guitar playing is sublime. K saw them live (I never did).

Not an enormous fan. But if the mood calls for it.

And yes, Marr is brilliant. Well beyond the Smiths. 

Manchester is one of the greatest music towns in the history of pop. So much talent in one city. It's astounding really.

Edited by Takashi96
More information
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Takashi96 said:

I suppose your voice/my head voice is sort of...Well, it's more to do with clear pronunciation. Like I can't hear you saying "innit" or something like that. It's a bit Cate Blanchet, I suppose. And see, now I'm doing it again! I just wrote that in the accent of a London School of Economics drop-out turned aspiring blues musician. 

LSE dropout turned blues musician? Are you talking about Jagger? *fans self* 😉 Though I don't think he was a dropout, actually. 

No, I'd never say "innit." My dad was quite strict with me with regards to what are known as glottal stops. I was never allowed to drop my Ts, and I never have. Conversely, whenever he and my mum ever visit Mr E and I (we live in different counties), I am forever correcting my dad's strong, Northern dialect way of speaking! For example, the Northern way of dropping the word "the" before a noun. The conversation could go like "Where can I park t'car?" Or "What time's t'restaurant booked for?" I, in a mock irritated voice, reply "We don't speak like that here!" 

But I'm doing it as a joke, not to be horrible. And my dad knows this! 😉 Difficult to get across on an internet forum. 

• Cheeky 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Eliminature said:

LSE dropout turned blues musician? Are you talking about Jagger? *fans self* 😉 Though I don't think he was a dropout, actually. 

No, I'd never say "innit." My dad was quite strict with me with regards to what are known as glottal stops. I was never allowed to drop my Ts, and I never have. Conversely, whenever he and my mum ever visit Mr E and I (we live in different counties), I am forever correcting my dad's strong, Northern dialect way of speaking! For example, the Northern way of dropping the word "the" before a noun. The conversation could go like "Where can I park t'car?" Or "What time's t'restaurant booked for?" I, in a mock irritated voice, reply "We don't speak like that here!" 

But I'm doing it as a joke, not to be horrible. And my dad knows this! 😉 Difficult to get across on an internet forum. 

I seemed to recall reading somewhere that the group took off just shy of graduation? Not that it matters. Mick should be embroidered on to the school crest at this point. I mean, clearly he absorbed the lessons. 

I understood what you meant and found it quite endearing. I imagine he's proud of you for transcending the limitations of a working class accent. As a lower class git (see I know your slang) I'm well aware of the differences in perception accents can have on people. 

On 9/7/2022 at 2:28 PM, Eliminature said:

You know, I think that might be the first time I've mentioned my parents on this forum. 🤔

They do exist, I just don't tend to discuss them on here. 

I'm happy to hear that you have awesome parents. Even if it means you weren't raised by wolves.