Darn!

Certainly is!   We kept the living room closed up yesterday to keep the heat out and when we went in there in the evening we thought it felt cool, but looked at the thermometer and found it was 25 degrees!   That would normally be hot for us, but it was only cool compared to the 35 degrees that we had outside......

We went shopping in a supermarket and it is one of the few times I enjoyed shopping because they had air con.  

When driving home, I considered driving via a town 30 mins away just to sit in the car with air con for longer. 

This morning, it was quite comfortable when I went out on my bike at 6am to get a bit of exercise before it got hot.  By the time I came back at 7:15 it was already feeling claggy and was about 26 degrees.

I'm not complaining though, it is nice to see some sun.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, LovesToWet said:

Betty swollocks

Totally.  I've been working in just a very loose pair of shorts all day.  Commando underneath.   I would have been naked but we have painters in the house and they may not have a appreciated it.

Shame they weren't female painters or I would have suggested that if they were too hot then I wouldn't object if they felt overdressed and wanted to reduce their clothing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2022 at 4:14 PM, Alfresco said:

I'm assuming that was another first letter swap?

I think it's called a Spoonerism? They normally happen when drunk!  I quite like Flutter bye's for Butter Flies but this doesn't strictly conform to the first letter swap! Then again neither does Betty!  I can be quite pedantic at times.  I find it fun....

• Like 1

I think a spoonerism is “An accidental transposition of the initial sounds, or other parts, of two or more words.” So don’t think it needs to be just the first letter? A classic example is “Three cheers for our queer old dean” (dear old queen)

12 hours ago, Jason Basin said:

I think it's called a Spoonerism? They normally happen when drunk!  I quite like Flutter bye's for Butter Flies but this doesn't strictly conform to the first letter swap! Then again neither does Betty!  I can be quite pedantic at times.  I find it fun....

My family always use Flutter Byes as well.   

On 7/28/2022 at 8:51 AM, walanuk said:

I think a spoonerism is “An accidental transposition of the initial sounds, or other parts, of two or more words.” So don’t think it needs to be just the first letter? A classic example is “Three cheers for our queer old dean” (dear old queen)

That's interesting.  I'm obviously being a bit pedantic about that.  The best one of all happened yesterday!  It was an episode of QI with Sandy Toksvig and there where a number of Danish words.  One of them was Redunculous.  I thought I had made this up as an alternate to ridiculous!  And a lot of people think this is the case! This where it get's amazing -  apparently the word "Redunculous"  means 

Given to using made up words, often due a desire to seem intelligent despite suffering from a lack of formal education.
I love stuff like this.  Talk about irony! 
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Jason Basin said:

That's interesting.  I'm obviously being a bit pedantic about that.  The best one of all happened yesterday!  It was an episode of QI with Sandy Toksvig and there where a number of Danish words.  One of them was Redunculous.  I thought I had made this up as an alternate to ridiculous!  And a lot of people think this is the case! This where it get's amazing -  apparently the word "Redunculous"  means 

Given to using made up words, often due a desire to seem intelligent despite suffering from a lack of formal education.
I love stuff like this.  Talk about irony! 

You're clearly a man after my own heart Jason. Cryptic crosswords, word play ... ❤️

Yes I love all that.  I'm sorry to bring this up again but so called "Long Covid Brain Fog" has really hindered my ability to do them.  What I could do in half an hour on a good day now takes me about 2 weeks! In fact I've given up for now because it's just too frustrating. Though yes I love all this stuff and have a real interest in the origin of words and expressions etc... 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Kupar said:

You're clearly a man after my own heart Jason. Cryptic crosswords, word play ... ❤️

Yes I love all that.  I'm sorry to bring this up again but so called "Long Covid Brain Fog" has really hindered my ability to do them.  What I could do in half an hour on a good day now takes me about 2 weeks! In fact I've given up for now because it's just too frustrating. Though yes I love all this stuff and have a real interest in the origin of words and expressions etc... 

•  
6 minutes ago, Jason Basin said:

Yes I love all that.  I'm sorry to bring this up again but so called "Long Covid Brain Fog" has really hindered my ability to do them.  What I could do in half an hour on a good day now takes me about 2 weeks! In fact I've given up for now because it's just too frustrating. Though yes I love all this stuff and have a real interest in the origin of words and expressions etc... 

Susie Dent books on your Christmas present list then 🙂 (And Susie Dent in a low-cut top as a poster on your wall maybe? No? Just me then 😉