Travel tips

Gotah

Hello everybody,

by the end of the summer, for the first time in many, many years, I'll get the opportunity to go on vacation again.

I'm planning on doing a solo trip for about 5 days somewhere in europe and because I'd like to stay away from the usual mainstream tourist hotspots as much as possible, I thought it could be a good idea to ask you guys if you could give me some inside tips about hidden gems somewehere in europe that are fun to visit and are not so well known among tourists.

If you all could help me out I'd apreciate it alot!

Thank you 🙂

I too am second guessing what your tastes may be...

My two recommendations would be:

- For a sunny city break, the city of Sevilla in Spain.  A beautiful and historic city centre on a river, adorned by Moorish architecture, a mix of historic and chic city buildings and parks and even more chic Señoritas.

- For a wildcard too, the city of Liverpool in England - a historic industrial city with a mix of Irish and English roots - birthplace of not only The Beatles, but of Merseybeat and over the August Bank Holiday weekend plays host to the world's largest Beatles festival.   

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Kupar said:

Cities? Beaches? Hiking? Museums? Do you have particular things you like to do?

Oh right, I should've mentioned that lol

But honestly, now that I think about it, it doesn't really matter. I'm open for suggestions of any kind, surprise me!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, gldenwetgoose said:

I too am second guessing what your tastes may be...

My two recommendations would be:

- For a sunny city break, the city of Sevilla in Spain.  A beautiful and historic city centre on a river, adorned by Moorish architecture, a mix of historic and chic city buildings and parks and even more chic Señoritas.

- For a wildcard too, the city of Liverpool in England - a historic industrial city with a mix of Irish and English roots - birthplace of not only The Beatles, but of Merseybeat and over the August Bank Holiday weekend plays host to the world's largest Beatles festival.   

Sounds exciting, thanks @gldenwetgoose

OK 🙂. For wonderful beaches and lovely forest hiking, little visited by people outside the country, I would recommend the Fischland-Darss-Zingst peninsula on the Baltic coast of Germany. You'll meet old Germans. Nothing wrong with that of course, but if you're looking for savvy Latin beach babes look elsewhere lol.

For a city that's not a huge tourist hotspot I would suggest Antwerp. It has a huge amount to see and do, a fantastic young vibe and is stunning from an architectural standpoint, with an unbeatable mix of mediaeval, baroque, Art Nouveau, Art Deco and Modernist. Oh, and the beer and food! Wow!

Edited by Kupar
Typo
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, Kupar said:

OK 🙂. For wonderful beaches and lovely forest hiking, little visited by people outside the country, I would recommend the Fischland-Darss-Zingst peninsula on the Baltic coast of Germany. You'll meet old Germans. Nothing wrong with that of course, but if you're looking for savvy Latin beach babes look elsewhere lol.

For a city that's not a huge tourist hotspot I would suggest Antwerp. It has a huge amount to see and do, a fantastic young vibe and is stunning from an architectural standpoint, with an unbeatable mix of mediaeval, baroque, Art Nouveau, Art Deco and Modernist. Oh, and the beer and food! Wow!

These sound like exciting locations than you!

8 hours ago, Naughts said:

I can certainly suggest scandinavia!

If you want to visit a city, Oslo and Stockholm are both very beautiful and the coast around it is well worth a visit!

Scandinavia is waaaay up high in my travel list, unfortunately though it's also expensive and I can't really afford staying there for a few days.

• 1 month later...

Sevilla is a good choice. Walking the national trails in UK is nice. Hire a car and drive randomly in southern France or Spain is delightful. Hiking in Switzerland.

Scandinavia doesn't have to be expensive. There are a lot of options for a budget visit. And remember, the best things in life are free! (and I mean that) 🙂 Hit me up for some good tips.

• Thanks 1

I love Norway and second that option.  The key will be to avoid the cities and go small ... Stavanger, Haugesund, Alesund, Harstad, maybe all the way up to Tromso.  They're all on the west coast so fjord walking or whale spotting are possible activities.

My preference would be the fjords ... and walking is as cheap as it gets.  Preikestolen (Pulpit Rock) is easy to get to from Stavanger and is a stunning view, if you don't mind the 600m drop.  There are similar walks all over the area. 

• Thanks 1