Feedback / Idea More File Types for User Uploads

I think we could improve the quality of uploaded user's files by adding a video format to GIF, JPG, and PNG. 

I tried working with a random uploaded GIF animation and was able to reduce file size by 500k using one compression method and 800k using another compression method.   I suspect it was compressed originally using PhotoShop, which has never been the best compression engine (Adobe has the best advertising department, but not the best programming department).  I co-authored two books on Illustrator and Photoshop alternatives, I'm very familiar with Adobe's strengths (and weaknesses).  500k or 800k is not significant in terms of allowing users to upload larger files, but it would be of some help in terms of allowing users to upload animated GIF files with slightly larger file dimensions.  

The real problem with reducing a full color animation to an animated GIF is that GIF was never designed to handle full color 24 bit (over 16 million color) images.  It was designed to handle low color 8 bit (256 color) images.  Color count is calculated using the formula "2 to the power of the number of bits", so in this case, 2 to the 8th power (8 bits)  = 256 colors.  2 to the 24th power (24 bits) = 16,777,216 colors.  It would be much more efficient to compress the original to a video format, which is designed to work with full color images.   MP4 would be the ideal format, since it's now built into every Windows, Mac, and Linux browser, and it would not require a plugin.   

Using MP4, I was able to reduce file size to from 4.4 MB to 1.5 MB.  That would allow for a much larger (in terms of dimensions) file, and allow audio as well.   So, I suggest adding MP4 to the allowed file types.   

Edited by Peevert
  • Agree 1

Is this being considered? I think I made a pretty strong argument backed up with factual statistics. It would be so easy to implement now that MP4 is built into HTML5.  I think it would even be possible to add CSS Filters Iike Brightness, Contrast, and Saturation to the video playback.  By definition the CSS would all be client side, so the CSS would not affect your servers in any way.