How to find a private urinal?

It's not often you see a single-user restroom with a toilet and a urinal. Often it's only a toilet, even if it's a men's facility. I've seen online but never in real life, facilities with a toilet and urinal in one lockable room. I'm trying to find one of these (because I want to try a urinal and not get caught). Anyone have a suggestion on how to find one?

I don't see the point in restrooms that have just a urinal and a toilet in the same room, not separated at all. They will basically never be in use at the same time, what is the point? Some bars have tiny men's rooms like this.

@Girllikespee - I guess it's going to be trial and error, trying lots of different coffee shops, petrol stations, supermarkets or whatever until you find the places that have them.

@Loller - From a facility designer perspective, I guess one consideration is water conservation - a urinal only needs to be flushed less frequently and uses less each time than flushing the toilet, plus there may well be a theory that the chances of complaints about pee on the seat and the need for cleaning are reduced if most guys use the urinal.   Of course I'm ignoring the proportion who will do it anyway in that - just talking generally,

• Agree 3
3 hours ago, gldenwetgoose said:

@Girllikespee - I guess it's going to be trial and error, trying lots of different coffee shops, petrol stations, supermarkets or whatever until you find the places that have them.

@Loller - From a facility designer perspective, I guess one consideration is water conservation - a urinal only needs to be flushed less frequently and uses less each time than flushing the toilet, plus there may well be a theory that the chances of complaints about pee on the seat and the need for cleaning are reduced if most guys use the urinal.   Of course I'm ignoring the proportion who will do it anyway in that - just talking generally,

That is a good point, yeah. But I think most places would be cheapskates and would rather have just the toilet in the room instead of paying for a urinal too. But what do I know.

• Like 2

I rarely come across one with both toilet and a urinal in a locked room but I have been to a few but I haven’t been able to remember where I found them. Mostly abroad I think.  But do know there is a few that has that but unfortunately not in a locked room. In a small fast food chain like kfc or something. 

The men's bathroom at my local Chipotle had both, but I don't know if every Chipotle has that. It might be worth checking if you have one near you.

This "humanist" themed place that I used to go to for weekly lectures and stuff had a urinal in a stall for the urinal. I think they were trying to be trans-friendly or something.

I'm sure this differs regionally but where i live, all the Starbucks restrooms are for whomever, all single-person, and the ones that used to be the mens' room still have their urinals!

If your city's anything like mine, maybe that's a zero-risk way to go looking for one~

Unfortunately all our gas station and single-user coffee shop facilities all don't have urinals where I live. I guess it's more common in Europe maybe. I have looked in every public toilet I can find that isn't a wide open men's room (where anyone could walk in)

Posted (edited)

All the one's I've seen (all in the US) are in smaller older (pre-ADA) restaurants and/or bars which were required (by ADA) to either add an ADA-compliant restroom or remove the stall around the toilet.  Being smaller places they didn't have the room to add, so removed stall partitions and added a lock to the door.

Edited by thisguy20
posted before compeleted
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Girllikespee said:

Unfortunately all our gas station and single-user coffee shop facilities all don't have urinals where I live. I guess it's more common in Europe maybe. I have looked in every public toilet I can find that isn't a wide open men's room (where anyone could walk in)

I live in the NE USA and definitely know of a couple.  The key feature is usually there is at least 2 single-user restrooms - one mens and one womens - although it really doesn't matter.  The men's will contain the urinal.  If there is only one single-user restroom it usually doesn't have a urinal.  I have heard some women don't like seeing them in the single-user restooms.  Large gas stations that have a convienience store are the most likely places around here.

In the Southern California area they are somewhat easy to find. Especially as more places move to gender-neutral restrooms. If you're in this area, DM me and I can send you some specific spots. Bars and restaurants seem the most common.

They aren't that common in the UK, either. I did see quite a few in the Netherlands, though. I didn't use the ones in the single user lavatories myself because I wasn't actually in there to attend to my bladder. I had an upset stomach at the time. 😔

In my experience, gaining access to a conventional gents' lavatory to use the urinal isn't difficult, as long as it's quiet. Yes, men have occasionally seen me, but nobody has said anything negative to me yet. Though in my case, I guess I do have an advantage in that Mr E is there. If anyone does say anything to you, it does help to have a range of excuses as to why you're in there. 

"Yes, I know it's the men's room, but the urinal saves water." 

"The ladies' is flooded out right now. Sorry about that." 

"Sorry, I was so desperate to go, I didn't pay attention to the sign on the door." 

"I'm only in here to relieve myself, don't worry."

Most won't notice or care. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
19 minutes ago, Eliminature said:

it does help to have a range of excuses as to why you're in there. 

The voice of experience 🙂 ❤️

2 minutes ago, Alfresco said:

This one is in a park in a town in the South of England:  There is nothing saying that it is designated as a men's toilet either.  I guess a few ladies walk in and take a double take and check the label on the door before continuing to use the room.

IMG_3060.thumb.JPEG.b10d5e3d0d94ab5f926fb38dbab3f6bf.JPEG

You have multiple peeing options - toilet, urinal, wall mounted hand wash, bin bag, drain on floor, floor generally, walls.   Literally anywhere and it appears to be designed for that because the big floor drain in the middle implies the room just gets hosed down.

What does that sign say @Alfresco? I can't quite read it. Hope it's something like "feel free to pee anywhere except on this sign" 🙂 

• Cheeky 1
  • Haha 3
22 minutes ago, Alfresco said:

This one is in a park in a town in the South of England:  There is nothing saying that it is designated as a men's toilet either.  I guess a few ladies walk in and take a double take and check the label on the door before continuing to use the room.

IMG_3060.thumb.JPEG.b10d5e3d0d94ab5f926fb38dbab3f6bf.JPEG

You have multiple peeing options - toilet, urinal, wall mounted hand wash, bin bag, drain on floor, floor generally, walls.   Literally anywhere and it appears to be designed for that because the big floor drain in the middle implies the room just gets hosed down.

I'm guessing the bin bag or the sink would be your first choice. For me, it would be the urinal or the drain. 

1 hour ago, Eliminature said:

I'm guessing the bin bag or the sink would be your first choice. For me, it would be the urinal or the drain. 

I peed partly in the drain, partly on the floor, partly in the sink and partly in the bin bag.   Basically anywhere except the two toilet devices.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have used one in Cambridgeshire in a building which sadly shut a decade ago. A woman I fancied didn't lock the outer door and used the toilet cubicle so I went in and used the open urinal peeing within a metre of her. It had 2 sinks. On the flip side I was never quite sure of the etiquette of not locking the outer door when using the urinal and given the police station was yards away wasn't going to chance my luck too much.