Guys: do you use the urinal or stall when peeing in a public men's room?

Guys: do you use the urinal or stall when peeing in a public men's room?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Urinal or stall?

• Urinal
    • Stall

I usually pick the urinal as I have the idea that "the urinal is for peeing, men are supposed to use it always". However, I find some urinals with little privacy (like troughs) a bit embarrassing to use but I always use them still, haha. Feels manlier that way, in my opinion.

Nothing wrong with using a stall if you are pee shy, though! I used to be pee shy when I was younger but I slowly started getting used to using urinals, first using the ones with privacy walls and then moving on to urinals without walls and then finally moved on to the big one: the trough.

• Like 4

I have selected urinal as that is what I would generally do if using a public toilet, but I would point out that if I am not with other people then I often avoid public toilets and prefer to pee outside.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Hot 2
11 hours ago, Alfresco said:

I have selected urinal as that is what I would generally do if using a public toilet, but I would point out that if I am not with other people then I often avoid public toilets and prefer to pee outside.

Peeing outside is the best, for sure.

• Agree 2

My default preference is to use the cubicle/stall, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I like to relax and properly enjoy the release - something more easily achieved in the privacy of a cubicle. Secondly, access to toilet paper to properly dry off with after. Lastly, no risk of back splash from someone using the urinal to the side, if it’s particularly close and without a divider! 😅

The one exception to this, is if on the rare occasion of being in a unisex toilet - where with the potential for women to also be milling around - it becomes a lot more appealing to use the urinals instead! I remember in particular a bar in Bali of which had not only unisex toilets, but ones of which were rather cramped too. Having girls quite literally brushing up against my back whilst I was in full flow into the urinal was quite the experience, I must say! I made sure to guzzle plenty of Bintang beers that evening to be able to take full advantage 🍻

• Like 2
  • Hot 2

I use urinals when out in public, subject of course to them being available, as that's my preference.  When I'm at home it's different of course and I will sometimes even sit down to pee as, theoretically at least, that empties the bladder more efficiently.  

2 hours ago, James_erased said:

The one exception to this, is if on the rare occasion of being in a unisex toilet - where with the potential for women to also be milling around

Totally agree, but in the UK any unisex toilets are either all stalls with no urinals or single user rooms with locks on the main door.   The nearest I have got in the UK to the situation you are describing is at busy events where ladies come into the gents toilets.   

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I am like some others on here, I used to always use the stall but now I've gotten more comfortable with urinals. My shyness mainly had to do with my small penis, but now I like the idea of people being able to see how small it is when I pee 😂

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Hot 1
  • 2 weeks later...

If I only need to pee I always use the urinal . I have not been pee shy in mamy years .I have not seen a trough in a very long time. The thought of them bring back memories of in my younger days being very pee shy. I could not pee in front of others.  With the trough there is no privacy and it was obvious I was just standing there with my dick out and nothing coming out.

Back in my pee shy days i always used a stall hoping I could go. Sometimes I couldn't , even sitting to cover the sound.

I am the opposite of another poster, for some reason I can not fully empty my bladder sitting down. If seated for the other I must stand to finish peeing.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, wettingman said:

If I only need to pee I always use the urinal . I have not been pee shy in mamy years .I have not seen a trough in a very long time. The thought of them bring back memories of in my younger days being very pee shy. I could not pee in front of others.  With the trough there is no privacy and it was obvious I was just standing there with my dick out and nothing coming out.

Back in my pee shy days i always used a stall hoping I could go. Sometimes I couldn't , even sitting to cover the sound.

I am the opposite of another poster, for some reason I can not fully empty my bladder sitting down. If seated for the other I must stand to finish peeing.

I see troughs mostly in some bars. And you are absolutely right how embarrassing it feels to just stand there at a trough with your dick in hand and no pee coming out. Happened many times when I was younger but I got over it.

• Agree 1

Definitely the urinal - from being a kid onwards I've never considered using a stall to be honest if there's a convenient space at the urinal, unless the place is crowded.

And a little bizarrely I'm actually finding in some cases the more urinals in the room the more enjoyable.

Last weekend I was at a motorsport venue for a fairly big event (big enough to be televised).  Between two of the races I went for a pee, and on rounding the corner found three large portacabins in a cluster, each with two doors labelled ladies and gents.  Being between races lots of people had the same idea - quite a queue of uncomfortable looking ladies and a few gents queueing in front of their doors.  I was tempted to wait then noticed that the middle cabin door had no queue and as I got near saw the sign Urinals Only.

Inside three walls of the 20ft x 10ft cabin were covered in maybe 25 urinals and around half in use.  Yes it took a couple of seconds to start, as I wasn't completely bursting but no qualms at all about the company. 

• Like 4
21 hours ago, gldenwetgoose said:

Definitely the urinal - from being a kid onwards I've never considered using a stall to be honest if there's a convenient space at the urinal, unless the place is crowded.

And a little bizarrely I'm actually finding in some cases the more urinals in the room the more enjoyable.

Last weekend I was at a motorsport venue for a fairly big event (big enough to be televised).  Between two of the races I went for a pee, and on rounding the corner found three large portacabins in a cluster, each with two doors labelled ladies and gents.  Being between races lots of people had the same idea - quite a queue of uncomfortable looking ladies and a few gents queueing in front of their doors.  I was tempted to wait then noticed that the middle cabin door had no queue and as I got near saw the sign Urinals Only.

Inside three walls of the 20ft x 10ft cabin were covered in maybe 25 urinals and around half in use.  Yes it took a couple of seconds to start, as I wasn't completely bursting but no qualms at all about the company. 

I definitely get what you mean about more urinals being more comfortable. It's sometimes awkward when the restroom is small and there is only 2 urinals very close to each other, lol. I personally think there should be either 1 urinal, 3 urinals or more than three so that proper "urinal etiquette" can be followed (leaving one urinal empty unless it is very crowded and there's a lot of guys needing to pee).

Edited by Loller
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2022 at 12:48 PM, gldenwetgoose said:

as I got near saw the sign Urinals Only.

You said that the main doors were labelled ladies and gents, but was the one that was labelled urinals only also labelled gents or did it only say "Urinals only"?  If so, then I'm sure some ladies with skill such as @Eliminature would be happy to go in and make use of the urinals rather than queueing for the cubicles.

5 minutes ago, Alfresco said:

You said that the main doors were labelled ladies and gents, but was the one that was labelled urinals only also labelled gents or did it only say "Urinals only"?  If so, then I'm sure some ladies with skill such as @Eliminature would be happy to go in and make use of the urinals rather than queueing for the cubicles.

Ha ha - good point.   It was a smaller venue in the north-west rather my more recent Silverstone experiences written about elsewhere.

I think from memory it was labelled with the generic stick drawing supposed to represent a trousered humanoid rather than a skirt / dress wearer.   I'd have had absolutely no issues if any of the people queuing for the other facility had chosen to use one of the urinals.  They were the individual porcelain variety and were spaced fairly discretely so would have been quite easy to stand facing, to straddle or to back up against according to choice.

(Thinking about the generic toilet door sign we assume to mean gents, I see no reason why trousered ladies shouldn't claim it as theirs too).

• Like 2

Almost always a urinal if one's available. Prefer open air above all though -- outside, against a tree, bush, lamp post, or just on the ground.  If I'm biking on a trail, there's usually one spot where others pee and I'll go there as its kinkier and sometimes a pair of panties will appear and I enjoy hosing those down.

• Hot 2