Going back in time to pee freely

I’ve always been slightly intrigued by those banquets where they peed at the dining table in front of everyone. Think they all sat on commodes or had pisspots, I remember seeing a photo aT school and it’s stuck with me. Lol

• Like 3

Interesting question! I think I'd like to go back to a hippie commune in the late sixties / early seventies. I'm not old enough to have experienced that time as an adult, and I had a conventional if reasonably progressive family environment growing up but I am sure I would have enjoyed the 'anything goes' vibe of that time and place, including the freedom to pee much more openly.

Edited by Kupar
Typo
  • Like 4

Definitely an interesting idea...

Late Middle Ages through Renaissance Venice could be a pretty good one.  Get to pee in the canals and gondolas, plus the very wild Carnival events wearing masks which would enable / allow for anonymous peeing on buildings, people, in clothes...

• Like 2

It's an interesting question...  And I guess mine would be the relative near past as someone has said of the Woodstock era festivals, or perhaps the equivalent European festivals.  Perhaps the era of pretty young things queueing all day for a glimpse of their Fab Four idols and the like.

I'm always conscious on these sorts of questions though about how wonderful a thing nostalgia is - remember how recent an invention deodorant is, along with showering and bathing every day. Going back a few more generations... well, you know.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
18 hours ago, gldenwetgoose said:

...remember how recent an invention deodorant is, along with showering and bathing every day. Going back a few more generations... well, you know.

Comic Steve Martin said that if you thought nostalgia and the good old days were so great, he had only one word to say to you: dentistry.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1
On 5/3/2022 at 9:07 PM, gldenwetgoose said:

I'm always conscious on these sorts of questions though about how wonderful a thing nostalgia is - remember how recent an invention deodorant is, along with showering and bathing every day. Going back a few more generations... well, you know.

If you want to try a bit of nostalgia on that theme, go to Jorvik in York.   It has all the scenes from a Viking time in England, complete with the smells!  

You have a good point though - the streets in any big city even in relatively recent history were not pleasant and ladies had their vinaigrettes which were a common accessory in the 19th century for higher class ladies and allowed them to have perfume to overcome the less savoury smells of the city.

• 7 months later...
11 hours ago, Takashi96 said:

So, I'm not the only freak who has time travel pee fantasies? 

They're all pretty much voyeur fantasies. Woodstock and Versailles are both big ones for me. Though I imagine Versailles would be unbearable. I've heard it was constantly bursting with human and animal shit but it was particularly foul in the summer months. I once read a passage about Casanova watching a group of girls gleefully pissing in a field that sounded hot. I've had plenty of ancient tribal fantasies as well. Girls squatting in their buckskin dresses and so on. 

Would love to read the Casanova passage if you ever manage to dig it back up!

• Agree 2
  • 2 weeks later...

In early Victorian times it would depend on what class you were.  The lower classes had privies and chamber pots at home, but when out and about they would pee in alleys and street gutters.  Upper classes would use their chamber pots at home and would mainly visit places that had a proper latrine, and I imagine that they were more motivated to hold their bladders until they found one.  They would not pee in public!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Spectator9 said:

In early Victorian times it would depend on what class you were.  The lower classes had privies and chamber pots at home, but when out and about they would pee in alleys and street gutters.  Upper classes would use their chamber pots at home and would mainly visit places that had a proper latrine, and I imagine that they were more motivated to hold their bladders until they found one.  They would not pee in public!

I wonder if this class division was equally true on the continent in Europe vs. UK?

On 1/6/2023 at 4:56 PM, Havelock said:

I wonder if this class division was equally true on the continent in Europe vs. UK?

There was a class division on the continent, and I imagine that the behavior expectations of the upper and lower classes would have been similar.  

I think of the elaborate dinners that the wealthy frequently had.  They went on for hours, with wine at every course, and surely some might have to find an excuse to leave the table.  At the conclusion of the meal it was customary for the ladies to withdraw - perhaps speeding to the nearest latrine/commode/pot - leaving the men at the table to light up their cigars and discuss politics and such.  I'm not sure what provisions were made for the men to relieve themselves!  

• Hot 1

I was trying to figure out what the structure built into the corners of buildings like cathedrals were called and stumbled upon this article about Henry VIII.

https://www.history.com/news/royal-palace-life-hygiene-henry-viii

Some choice quotes

But without a doubt, the most pressing health concern was caused by the dearth of waste disposal options in an era before reliable plumbing. “Feces and urine were everywhere,” Eleanor Herman, author of The Royal Art of Poison, says of royal palaces. “Some courtiers didn't bother to look for a chamber pot but just dropped their britches and did their business—all of their business—in the staircase, the hallway, or the fireplace."

Many of the rules laid down by the King indicate that his battle against the advancing grime was a losing one. To keep servants and courtiers from urinating on the garden walls, Henry had large red X’s painted in problem spots. But instead of deterring men from relieving themselves, it just gave them something to aim for. Calls for people not to dump dirty dishes in the hallways—or on the King’s bed—seemed to fall on deaf ears.

Despite its reputation for magnificence, life at Versailles, for both royals and servants, was no cleaner than the slum-like conditions in many European cities at the time. Women pulled up their skirts up to pee where they stood, while some men urinated off the balustrade in the middle of the royal chapel. According to historian Tony Spawforth, author of Versailles: A Biography of a Palace, Marie-Antoinette was once hit by human waste being thrown out the window as she walked through an interior courtyard.

Even managed to find this video of a medieval public urinal in Belgium.

Urine deflectors are the word I was looking for:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/urine-deflectors-of-fleet-street

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine_deflector

... in London a man may sometimes walk a mile before he can meet with a suitable corner; for so unaccommodating are the owners of door-ways; passages and angles, that they seem to have exhausted invention in the ridiculous barricadoes and shelves, grooved, and one fixed above another, to conduct the stream into the shoes of the luckless wight who shall dare to profane the intrenchments.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, AbbyPeePrincess said:

I would love to have been born as royalty in 1300’s and my first act as Princess would be to pee freely around the castle and lands 

Question is, would your usher, your maids and your ladies in waiting be expected to hide their needs whilst in your service?

As royalty one would expect and demand their unfaltering attention to your needs.  Of course they would be attentive to your every need, want and whim and you would be assured of their discretion in every matter.    But would you acknowledge the needs of nature calling upon them?  All those in service would of course know to speak only when spoken to and it would of course be improper for a mere serf to request leave from your presence, even more so to soil their garments.  

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, AbbyPeePrincess said:

Only mine own ladies in waiting may relieve themselves freely since we still needeth to keepeth a senseth of structure

And pray my Lady, what of thy manservants.   Doest thou allow thy servants to seek relief in as much as those fair maidens who may pisseth beneath their skirts?  For surely if thy butler or groom is not able to pisseth upon the wall or tree, he shall surely be disgraced?  What of the fate of such?    

I've once read about that in medieval / renaissance time it was normal for the high society to just piss in the inside of castles. Like in the  corners, stairwells or just where they stood.

I imagine talking to a woman on a feast, maybe in the ballroom with a lot of people around and all of a sudden she pulls up her dress and just begins mid sentence to piss right there on the floor. Or that i just wipe out my dick and starting to piss in front of her, maybe "accidentally" splashing some drops on her dress as it's the most ordinary thing to do.

That's a thought which arouses me quite a lot. Though in reality i think it was a pretty mess with people pissing everywhere.

• Like 1