Regular or Elongated seat preference?

Regular or Elongated seat preference?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Please pick your anatomical sex and toilet seat preference.

• Male and prefer a regular style toilet seat.
    • Male and prefer an enlongated style toilet seat.
    • Female and prefer a regular style toilet seat
    • Female and prefer an elongated toilet seat.
    • No preference.

So, in the USA and Canada, there are basically 2 residential toilet seat styles.  A slightly oval, traditional compact toilet seat and a more elongated toilet seat, commonly found in commercial settings.

Just curious if there is a preference and is it anatomically based.

Edited by DoctorDoctor
Title was corrupted.

By "elongated" seats, do you mean the ones, commonly found in public bathrooms, that don't completely surround the hole, but have a "gap" in the front? They do look longer because the edges keep going forward in the front rather than curving inward. I've long wondered what the advantage is of that type of seat, given that it seems it would only make it more likely for people (mainly men, but also some especially forward-peeing women) to pee on the floor and make a mess. A bit of seat is much easier to clean than the floor. Maybe the idea is that then pee cannot splash off the front, that is already dirty from other people, back at the person sitting on it?

I guess I wasn't clear.  Here in the US, Canada, Mexico, there are basically 2 residential toilet seat types, not sure about the rest of the world.  Their is a "traditional" slightly oval toilet/seat combination with an opening (8 inches wide by 10 inches front to back (20 cm x 25 cm) and there is also newer "elongated" toilets with seat with opening (8 inches wide by 12 inches front to back (20 cm x 30.5 cm) with extra front to back distance.

The traditional seat always goes all the way around.  The elongated ones (almost all commercial toilets are elongated) can be either open (commercial settings) or closed at the front.  I was referring more about the opening size preference, not open or closed in the front (but that could be another poll or leave preferences in the comments).

I guess if it’s a case of remodelling your bathroom at home and wandering around a bathroom store looking at products, you’re more likely to choose a suite based on price, colour, style and so on - and that could include the style of seat.

On the every day use of a bathroom, I’d imagine most people just use the ‘when you’ve gotta go’ logic of walking in a bathroom and using whichever style of toilet seat is there.  I can really imagine anyone thinking ‘oh that’s the wrong type of seat, I’ll hold on…’

I could easily be wrong of course. 

• Agree 1
On 3/12/2022 at 5:45 PM, DoctorDoctor said:

Any particular reason why?

Erm….. it feels dirtier as you’re closer and can accidentally touch the bowl through the gap. I’ve also pinched my leg once when sitting down on one and have been cautious ever since. Think I e only seen them on holiday or maybe in men’s toilets though so not something I have to worry about really.