Parents open minded to their children peeing ouside?

I go camping a lot and in some countries I see that parents are very open-mined to their children about peeing outside. They tell boys to go just behind the tent and lift little girls up to let them pee in the bushes. Especially in France and Denmark I saw this, even if the camping had proper facilities. I also saw it in Chzech Republic, but there the toilets were that far away that everyone peed in the bushes and noone seemed to bother.

What do you think about letting you children pee outside? Is it a bad habit you need to prevent, or is it ok to teach them to use the great outdoors as a toilet?

8 minutes ago, camper1989 said:

I go camping a lot and in some countries I see that parents are very open-mined to their children about peeing outside. They tell boys to go just behind the tent and lift little girls up to let them pee in the bushes. Especially in France and Denmark I saw this, even if the camping had proper facilities. I also saw it in Chzech Republic, but there the toilets were that far away that everyone peed in the bushes and noone seemed to bother.

What do you think about letting you children pee outside? Is it a bad habit you need to prevent, or is it ok to teach them to use the great outdoors as a toilet?

Hi Camper1989, in my opinion peeing outside is not a problem as long as you don't offend others with it. I think that's already pretty much common practice. When it concerns kids I as a parent would allow them to pee anywhere in the great outdoors, but always somewhere secluded where they are not in plain sight of others. They are your kids after all, and they should be protected in every possible way from voyeurs or other people who might take advantage. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, gldenwetgoose said:

Totally agree with @RDC - when it comes to children, our duty as responsible parents is for their welfare and safety closely followed by their development (in due course) into adults. 

So, in the case you’ve mentioned first consideration is whether where they are afforded privacy from strangers. That sometimes being balanced against the urgency of their need and the challenge of getting to a proper bathroom.

For example if camping at one end of a field with a toilet block right at the other, and as kids sometimes do they wait to the last moment to tell you they’re bursting. For their welfare it’s better to pee than to have an accident. For their security and privacy though in a discrete place nearby like in the shelter of a bush.

Personally my view is yes, they should learn the life skill of peeing other than in a toilet, but with an understanding of how to choose a suitable place to protect their modesty.

Not so much a case of encouraging them to pee outside, but teaching them it’s a viable solution to a physical need which may otherwise result in a humiliating accident. Not suitable for every place or time, but a potential solution.

The alternative of telling them no or punishing them all seems to be linked to the thinking that pee is dirty and peeing is shameful. And for that matter body shaming too. 

Just my thoughts…

Indeed that is exactly what I actually wanted to say. thanks for your input!

We haven't camped in a while, but we have done it a lot in the past. I agree with the messages above as long as the child is sheltered behind the caravan or tent I see no problem. For both the other guests and the child itself. As long as it's not antisocial, we don't think it's a problem.

We are very open about peeing at home (for example my wife pees in a cup in the bedroom every day because we don't have a toilet upstairs and of course our daughter knows that) we also pee in the woods without taking cover from each other.

So we also pee behind the tent or caravan at the campsite, no problem for us.

Back in our teens when we were camping my ex-girlfriend always peed next to the car every night was quite normal for us.

I actually think my wife doesn't even go to the toilet block even if it's only a few meters away 😆

EDIT: I'm mostly talking about night time

Edited by Aristona
  • Like 1
  • Hot 1

I think children should be allowed to pee outside as long as it's approprate for that situation. If they're hiking in the countryside or on a road trip with facilities far away then I think they should be taught that it is OK to pee outside as long as they find somewhere private where other people are unlikely to see them.

It's important to learn that it's acceptable in these circumstances or they might struggle with it if they need to pee outside when they are older. While it's no different for boys, it's a bit of a skill for a girl to squat down and pee while keeping their clothes out of the way and not getting pee on their clothes or shoes, hence parents lifting younger girls to make it easier for them. I bet there's a lot of woman who have never peed outside and find themselves in a mess when they suddenly find themselves needing to. Being comfortable with peeing outside as a child would avoid this.

With camping it depends how far away the toilet is and how near other tents are. It seems a bit wrong if the toilets are close by but if it's a long walk and there's somewhere private to go away from other campers I don't have an issue with it.

I imagine the difficulty is explaining some of the nuances about when it is/isn't acceptable, eg. in the bushes in the backyard at home is fine, in the bushes just outside the school building isn't. And there's the recurrent tale of the little boy at the pool whose mum says "oh just wee in the pool" who stands on the edge and pees into the pool, less discreetly than mum intended.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, oliver2 said:

I imagine the difficulty is explaining some of the nuances about when it is/isn't acceptable, eg. in the bushes in the backyard at home is fine, in the bushes just outside the school building isn't. And there's the recurrent tale of the little boy at the pool whose mum says "oh just wee in the pool" who stands on the edge and pees into the pool, less discreetly than mum intended.

Yes, indeed.

It's an interesting area in that it's a completely opposite case to the other 99% of the site.  Usually across the site we're talking about adults engaged in peeing related activities, often risky, often sexually motivated.

And here in this thread we're talking about safeguarding our children whilst allowing them to build experience of managing their body's needs in a sensible way.  Our fondness of pee is a bonus in that we can explain it as natural and not shameful - but like any aspect of a child's learning, many of their life skills aren't learned overnight.  So it's about how best to lead them, accepting that wisdom comes with experience and having someone to guide them is the best way to achieve both.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, gldenwetgoose said:

Yes, indeed.

It's an interesting area in that it's a completely opposite case to the other 99% of the site.  Usually across the site we're talking about adults engaged in peeing related activities, often risky, often sexually motivated.

And here in this thread we're talking about safeguarding our children whilst allowing them to build experience of managing their body's needs in a sensible way.  Our fondness of pee is a bonus in that we can explain it as natural and not shameful - but like any aspect of a child's learning, many of their life skills aren't learned overnight.  So it's about how best to lead them, accepting that wisdom comes with experience and having someone to guide them is the best way to achieve both.

I agree that it is well explained. The piss kink and children have nothing to do with each other of course, but they do notice that the parents are more open about it and that if mom or dad just pee when they have to, for example in the woods or in a parking lot along the highway.

Also well explained that it is useful when young girls learn to pee outside as a skill that we are now teaching our daughter as well. It only happened 1 time that our daughter has to pee in the woods and that didn't go so well haha

In our family, peeing is just normal, everyone also pees with the toilet door open, for example, I think that's the right balance.

And mom and dad enjoy the piss kink in the evenings 🥰

• Like 1