Urinal with no dividers

I have noticed that in the USA they have a lot of urinals with dividers on movies and photos never been there my self. But while in UK I have never seen a single dividers at all. Are we the only one or are there others that don’t?

I have been to France which I know they have a lot of unsex toilets can’t remember at the time I was young. And Spain they tend to have one stall and one urinal in a room. 

• Like 2

There's quite a few places I can think of with long trough type urinals - basically the trough running at thigh height, formed from stainless steel.   A club I visit fairly often for one, and also (for example) at Silverstone racing circuit in the UK, toilet blocks have such troughs on three walls spreading across many metres with no dividers.

I know of a few other places with full height porcelain urinals, with the trough at floor level.  Some of these have porcelain dividers too, others are wide open. 

Stadiums, racetracks, fair sites in the US all seem to have long troughs with no dividers, although they have been decreasing in favor of single urinals over the past 10 years.  I have no problem with pee shyness and just hanging my cock out and peeing a good stream. 

However, when it gets crowded and I can feel another guys shoulders against mine, it kind of makes me feel like they are invading my personal space.

There have purportedly been women coming in to use the troughs too. I have not seen it, but I would surely welcome it and make a space next to me if they were brave enough to use one by whatever posture to get their stream into the trough.

• Agree 3

Older (by which I mean un-'improved') pubs in England are places that are reasonably likely to have trough urinals - either stainless steel or porcelain. But I suspect that no new such things will be installed as permanent fittings anywhere - so treasure them while you can, if you like them 🙂

• Agree 1
13 hours ago, PleasePeeOnMe said:

I live in the USA and have definitely seen urinals without dividers although I would say it's only about 10% of the time because we are all freaks for privacy.

Interesting. 

23 hours ago, Kupar said:

Older (by which I mean un-'improved') pubs in England are places that are reasonably likely to have trough urinals - either stainless steel or porcelain. But I suspect that no new such things will be installed as permanent fittings anywhere - so treasure them while you can, if you like them 🙂

not come across them in pubs but have seen a few of them in nightclubs and have seen two in town public/park toilets. I’m curious if beachs toilets have them?

I want to visit an Victorian urinal as it may not have a divider but you can hid yourself well. 

On 10/18/2021 at 8:57 PM, PullbackSoaker said:

I have seen a few but not many. A hand full of the 1920s style loos that have survived tend to be the flat porcelain type. 

Do you think this is a good or bad thing? 

Do you have any pictures I’m curious 

I've seen ones with and without dividers, though the ones without do seem to be getting less common as time goes on.

The feeling of separateness or lack thereof doesn't just depend on whether there are dividers or not, but the style of the urinal as well. Trough-style urinals never have dividers, but aside from that, the closer to vertical the opening is, the more anything is hidden by the body of the person using them and the side walls of the fixture regardless of whether there are any dividers external to the fixtures.

When thinking about this, I just remembered how in one of our high school bathrooms there were urinals that were at least as deep horizontally as they were tall vertically, almost approaching the shape of the rare female urinals. I don't remember exactly what they look like, but I'd say they were similar to the very first picture on the Wikipedia page about urinals: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urinal (the ones that are called "sensor operated"). These felt much more open than tall urinals that are less like a bowl and more like a recessed "nook".

Like trough urinals and un-partitioned urinals in general, it seems that more horizontal designs are gradually becoming less common over time. Something of that might have to do with the fact that larger partitions would be necessary to separate those, but I suspect the more important factor might be water usage, especially here in drought-prone California. I could see how height would make little difference in the water use of a urinal, but width and depth of the bottom "bowl" might add considerably to the water requirement. It's certainly not that shallow, tall urinals are a new thing of course--in fact at my elementary school the urinals I remember were the tall, recessed, floor-draining type sometimes referred to as "pee/wee-on-the-wall" urinals. I don't know how private those felt to use as I didn't start using urinals for some reason until I was in high school, but they don't look as open as many other designs. What I do see is that designs over time do seem to be getting more like upright boxes, often as you say with wood dividers in addition.

Stadiums tend to be open without dividers. I think the logic there is that they get hit primarily during intermissions and a wall of men using them simultaneously provides some privacy, not seeing much if you look to the side beside the guy next to you.

I have also noticed Chicago skips dividers at a frequency greater than other cities.