Favorite word for a female’s genitalia?

pop-a-squat

What word do you like for a female’s privates?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. What word do you prefer to call a female’s private areas?

• Pussy
    • Cunt
    • Slit
    • Hole
    • Vagina
    • Privates
    • Down there
    • Other (comment)

2 hours ago, Eliminature said:

Vulva. Or Lady Garden. The Latin term is respectful and the slang term is poetic. 

Terms like "pussy," "slit," or "cunt" just disgust me. If we like the female genitalia so much, why do we use such degrading names for it? It's the origin of pleasure, the passage through which most of us enter the world and thr source from which our beloved powerful, yellow streams spring. It's not dirty, disgusting or shameful. 

Love the vulva. Don't degrade it!

Nothing vulgar about the vulva. 

Edited by glad1
  • Agree 2
17 hours ago, Eliminature said:

Vulva. Or Lady Garden. The Latin term is respectful and the slang term is poetic. 

Terms like "pussy," "slit," or "cunt" just disgust me. If we like the female genitalia so much, why do we use such degrading names for it? It's the origin of pleasure, the passage through which most of us enter the world and thr source from which our beloved powerful, yellow streams spring. It's not dirty, disgusting or shameful. 

Love the vulva. Don't degrade it!

Totally agree, I can’t stand all the disgusting names it’s given. I tend to use the correct terminology such as vulva, vagina and clitoris. If you want to be a littlE more subtle then just privates or down below is fine. 

• Agree 2

Reading along here has been interesting...   For me as a guy who doesn't own any of those glorious intimate parts I hardly feel that my opinion is relevant, although it's good to see that I'm not too far off the mark.

Two observations I've got though which have been a little of an education for me:

Cunt - Is a name I've always disliked, a very guttural word in it's sound and one which is commonly used a an extreme insult "He's a total cunt".  Yet there have been several users commented on this being their standard term - and that makes me wonder if it's one of those words which takes on a much stronger meaning across different sides of the Atlantic?

Pussy - is a term I've not really associated as unpleasant, if anything quite the opposite in that I've thought of it as a fairly cute term - but happy to recognise the flow of opinion there.  

I'm reminded of when Victoria Coren-Mitchell was on a panel show and the conversation of what to call lady bits came up, and she said she didn't like any of them. Maybe, suggested one of the other guests, that that's because of what it is.

Maybe We'll never find a suitable word until we de-stigmatise the glorious bits.

As for the word cunt. I'm told it used to be the correct term until it got stigmatised by misogynists. But interestingly enough, it's etymological roots extend far. Perhaps to words like queen, cuneiform and gynaecology. But the truth is uncertain.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/cunt

A few feminists I know want to reclaim the word. but such business is fraught.

Anyway, the word I'd like to suggest, is fanny because that's a kind of common one here in England. Really though. I'm not sure I have a favourite word.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

One word I've seldom heard, and then only used by doctors and scientists, is pudendum. It's just as well it's not in general use, as the term comes from the Latin verb pudere, meaning to be ashamed. 

There's certainly no reason to feel shame about this beautiful part of your body.

• Agree 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting to see the strong reactions. As a foreigner, I always struggle which terms to choose, as I'm not aware of the connotations. I like pussy - it's like kitten: nice, warm, and lovely. Well, most kittens don't like being wet - but I can live with that. Also, the pussy equivalent exists in other languages I speak, it seems to be rather strong in French (chatte = female cat), somewhere in between in German (Muschi).

Personnally, I tend to use the correct term, i.e. vulva in English. Interestingly, it is not part of the choices given. In German, "Scheide" applies (afak) to both, vulva and vagina. You could say "Scham", but I don't like it for the reason given above (pudendum = shame). Nothing to be ashamed of.

Can you actually use "crotch" in English? Not sure if it sounds good, but maybe relatively neutral?

Does anyone have more poetic suggestions? Sometimes I read interesting denominations, but I tend to forget them right away... It'd be good to know how to address this in conversation without appearing uncouth.

I'm split about e.g. fanny, as it seems to be used for the backside over in America? Licking the one or the other is not the same to me! I've heard cherry in the context of virginity, does that apply to more than the hymen?

Edited by Alpian
added last sentence
  • Like 2
  • 9 months later...

For me, the word 'cunt' is very sexy and it's the word I prefer. However, I do recognize that it still  isn't acceptable to quite a lot of people, especially women - though a lot more women seem to use it nowadays than previously - e.g. Bacardi, above. Congratulations to her.  I'd use the word 'vulva' for a woman's external genitals if I wanted to be medically precise, or 'pussy' if I wanted to be relaxed without causing the possible offence sometimes provoked by 'cunt'. 

As an aside, I do realize that 'cunt' is probably offensive because it's also used as a term of abuse applied to either men or women. However, I don't think that dual usage should rule out its use to refer to female genitals. The word 'prick', while admittedly a little less wounding than 'cunt', can also be used as an insult as well as a relaxed term for a cock. (It's interesting, incidentally, that 'cock' isn't generally used as an insult, though James May of TV's 'Top Gear' does seem to use  it like that.)

PS. I also like the word 'slit' a lot.

Edited by wjimmy
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, mickymoist said:

@Eliminature those are much nicer.  Personally I really dislike the C word whether it's referring to a woman's body or as an insult, I just never use it.

I have the perception there’s a big difference in the acceptability of the ‘C’ word across the two sides of the Atlantic. 
I’m also of the opinion of if being a coarse derogatory term, and for me it is far too strong sounding a work - like it should be spelt with a K, and such a gentle and soft part of the anatomy needs a suitably gentle name. 

• Agree 2
On 10/18/2021 at 6:05 AM, PullbackSoaker said:

It's got to be pussy. 

If it was good enough for Mrs Slocombe, it's good enough for me. 

' "Can we get on? I've got to get home. If my pussy isn't attended to by eight o'clock, I shall be stroking it for the rest of the evening." '

- From a collection of pussy lines from 'Are You Being Served?' A lot more here:

https://areyoubeingserved.fandom.com/wiki/List_Of_Mrs_Slocombe's_Pussy_Quotes

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, gldenwetgoose said:

I have the perception there’s a big difference in the acceptability of the ‘C’ word across the two sides of the Atlantic. 
I’m also of the opinion of if being a coarse derogatory term, and for me it is far too strong sounding a work - like it should be spelt with a K, and such a gentle and soft part of the anatomy needs a suitably gentle name. 

HUGE difference! Cunt makes American women crazy. When someone uses cunt over here, it's usually a sign of profound contempt. 

Edited by Takashi96
Spacing.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

in my writing I use the technical terms (vulva, labia etc) but I prefer pussy.... I hate the word cunt almost as much as I hate the word cock being used for male genitalia. In NZ "cunt" is a derogatory term meaning you are an absolute asshole so my dislike stems from that.

• Agree 1