Mums let sons pee outside but daughters have to hold it?

Following on from the "Are Moms More Open-minded Than Their Sons Today?" thread by @beachmom, I wondered whether there's any truth in the statement in the title of the thread?

After all, a boy can stand up and pee facing a tree in the same way he would pee in a toilet or urinal and he is a lot more discrete. A girl, on the other hand, needs a lot more privacy because girls peeing outside expose more of their private areas. It is also trickier for a girl to pee outside, especially if she hasn't done so before, as it's easy to end up with pee on the shoes, legs and clothes if the squat isn't done quite right. Therefore a mother is going to have to teach her daughter the correct technique, (assuming she has mastered it herself!), and will probably have to help her a few times before she can pee outside on her own.

Because of this, it seems mums are happy to let their son pee outside in most cases, but many prefer to make their daughters hold it until they get to a toilet unless they really can't wait any longer. This can lead to cases where the boy can pee outside but the sister is made to wait.

Is this a common occurance or just a small number of mothers that are against girls peeing outside? Has this made young women afraid to pee outside as adults? Or are attitudes generally the same regardless of gender?

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, Girllikespee said:

My mother always acted as if peeing outside was the most inappropriate thing in the world. If we ever saw anyone peeing she would call them disgusting, even if it was a kid. She always told us we had no choice to hold it until we got to a toilet. I'm not sure what the big deal was. 

I think it definitely contributed to the large bladder capacity I have now though!

That might explain a few things.

Based on what I noticed out on the trails, I'd have thought I had at least above normal bladder capacity. The vast majority of my hiking partners would seem to need to pee before I did.

Of course, most all of them had long been comfortable with the outdoors, a great many exposed to it as a child and likely given the okay to pee whenever and wherever they felt full. 

But, there were some who could last all day, or at least would only pee once for every two or three of mine. I think to a woman they were told as a child to hold until they got to a toilet.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Girllikespee said:

My mother always acted as if peeing outside was the most inappropriate thing in the world. If we ever saw anyone peeing she would call them disgusting, even if it was a kid. She always told us we had no choice to hold it until we got to a toilet. I'm not sure what the big deal was. 

I think it definitely contributed to the large bladder capacity I have now though!

Did you spend much time hiking in the countryside away from toilets or did you spend your time nearer to toilets because of her attitude?

It's sad that you never got a chance to pee outside if you needed to go. I get a parent being against peeing down an alley or something in the middle of town but behind a bush in the countryside is fine. You must have spent your time feeling so uncomfortable and hoping you'd find a toilet soon 😔

5 hours ago, glad1 said:

That might explain a few things.

Based on what I noticed out on the trails, I'd have thought I had at least above normal bladder capacity. The vast majority of my hiking partners would seem to need to pee before I did.

Of course, most all of them had long been comfortable with the outdoors, a great many exposed to it as a child and likely given the okay to pee whenever and wherever they felt full. 

But, there were some who could last all day, or at least would only pee once for every two or three of mine. I think to a woman they were told as a child to hold until they got to a toilet.

It could just be that they have a large bladder capacity or don't spend much time outdoors so are shy about peeing outside. But yes it could also be that they were discouraged from peeing outside as a child and have retained that attitude as an adult.

I don’t know about generally, but myself and my sister both peed outside if the need arose.  We were a very outdoors family.

my daughter peed outside a few times when she was younger but as she grew up she showed less interest in outdoor activities so didn’t ever need to pee outside.  However, neither my wife nor me would prevent her peeing outside if she had needed to.

• Like 1
On 8/23/2021 at 2:16 AM, Alfresco said:

I don’t know about generally, but myself and my sister both peed outside if the need arose.  We were a very outdoors family.

I suppose you didn't have much choice if you spent a lot of time outdoors away from toilets. 😂

On 8/23/2021 at 2:16 AM, Alfresco said:

my daughter peed outside a few times when she was younger but as she grew up she showed less interest in outdoor activities so didn’t ever need to pee outside.  However, neither my wife nor me would prevent her peeing outside if she had needed to.

Clearly spending a lot of time in the country as a child has given you the right attitude about peeing outside, and presumably your wife had a similar experience growing up?

Would your daughter still be comfortable with peeing outside now if the need ever arose or would she be hesitant and try and wait for a toilet? I suppose the issue with not needing to do it as she grew up is she might be more self concious now so might not like the idea?

• Love 1
On 8/23/2021 at 11:01 AM, Sweets said:

Neither of my parent had a problem with me peeing outside.  It was no big deal.  I would go fishing with my dad  if I had to pee he would tell me go in woods. I remember a couple time peeing on the side of the road on trips.    Playing outside if I didn’t want to come inside I go in the bushs squat and pee.  Me and my brother was playing in the pool out front one day. We Went in the bushes I pulled my bathing suit to the side he watched me pee then I watched him.  He use to pee in front of me all the time he would just whip it out an piss anywhere his mom use to yell at him all the time to stop pee where people could see him 

Yeah peeing behind a bush is often the only option when fishing lol!

It looks like peeing outside was very convenient for you so it's sad that some girls are made to feel they should never pee outside. I guess the only difficulty for a girl is getting the squat right and not peeing on your clothes!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, littlebladder said:

Clearly spending a lot of time in the country as a child has given you the right attitude about peeing outside, and presumably your wife had a similar experience growing up?

No, my wife has never been keen on peeing outside herself.  She isn’t an outdoor active person and has always done everything in her power to get to a toilet.  She has peed outside a few times out of sheer desperation and in more recent years sometimes pees outside for my benefit, but she will only do it if she is in the right mood and there is absolutely no chance of anyone seeing her.

22 hours ago, littlebladder said:

Would your daughter still be comfortable with peeing outside now if the need ever arose or would she be hesitant and try and wait for a toilet? I suppose the issue with not needing to do it as she grew up is she might be more self concious now so might not like the idea?

She would wait for the toilet if at all possible.  I have not known her to pee outside since she was really young.   She is an adult now and has moved out from home.  She likes her creature comforts and is not an outdoor person.  She is also not interested in getting drunk or going to festivals, so hasn’t needed to pee outside through those types of activities.

• Like 1
On 8/28/2021 at 7:09 PM, littlebladder said:

Yeah peeing behind a bush is often the only option when fishing lol!

It looks like peeing outside was very convenient for you so it's sad that some girls are made to feel they should never pee outside. I guess the only difficulty for a girl is getting the squat right and not peeing on your clothes!

That is true. I figured out really quick which way to face some it would run on my shoes 

• Like 1
Guest UnabashedUser
On 8/23/2021 at 6:01 AM, Sweets said:

Me and my brother was playing in the pool out front one day. We Went in the bushes I pulled my bathing suit to the side he watched me pee then I watched him.

As farm kids in Wisconsin, older sister and I would pee outside whenever nature called, but sis would always find a bush or a tree  to conceal.  One time, though, as I was returning from chasing an errant cow, rounded a corner and there she was, in a half crouch, panties around her ankles, pissing up a storm.

I froze and gave a careful long look as her pee rushed down. Viewed from the rear it was a sight I hadn't witnessed and even though it was my sister who was 18, got hard immediately.

I think this question comes down to the family.

I don't have any sisters, just brothers.  Our family was into backpacking & rock climbing so we spent days, sometimes a week, away from "facilities" so making do was a basic requirement.  My mum didn't make a big fuss but obviously did her own thing when she needed to.

On occasion, my aunt's family joined us on these adventures.  That family had just two girls, no boys, so the opposite situation.  They were a ranching family and owned horses throughout my childhood.  On some trips, we took the horses into the wilderness so we didn't have to walk.  My cousins also made no fuss about being away from civilization and just got on with it.  My younger cousin, in particular, seemed to make minimal effort to hide, just going behind a convenient tree or bush.  I have many pleasant little memories of seeing just her knee or the back of her shoulder while she took care of business this way.

In summary, some mums do and some mums don't.  I think the more time a family spends in a city/urban environment, the more hang-ups they have about peeing in the outdoors.  Concrete is unforgiving when it comes to hiding a discreet pee.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Love 1

I don't have kids, but if I did, I would let both my sons and daughters pee outside when needed.  Ideally a girl is wearing a skirt, giving her more privacy.  But even if she is wearing pants, just pull them down, with her private parts facing a tree or building, just as her brother would pee on a tree or building.     

• Agree 1
  • Love 1

And this reminds me of something I saw about 30 years ago.  A father and his young son and daughter got out of a car, the father pointed toward the corner of a building (did not say a word) and both of the kids ran over there and peed.  I was kind of shocked, I had never seen that before (or since).  The boy unzipped and peed on the building, the girl, right next to him, squatted and peed on the ground.  I wondered if she was wearing panties, and if she was taught that it was okay to wet them in certain situations, like this one.   Now that she's a 40-something adult, I'd love to meet her and ask. :D  

On 8/31/2021 at 5:48 PM, Panther95 said:

Anyway I can't tell much about the way for girls allowed to but I can imagine it's still that common "rule", that girls have to be "girly like", clean, well behaved. I often witnessed when a boy burps or talks about pissing or something like that, they are less strong admonished than a girl who does it. 🤔

Isn't it sad that some parents act like that yet bodily functions are the same for girls and boys. A girl needs to burp, fart, pee and poop just the same as a boy and it's not always possible to hold a pee until a toilet is available.

On 9/1/2021 at 10:26 PM, Peevert said:

I don't have kids, but if I did, I would let both my sons and daughters pee outside when needed.  Ideally a girl is wearing a skirt, giving her more privacy.  But even if she is wearing pants, just pull them down, with her private parts facing a tree or building, just as her brother would pee on a tree or building.     

I feel exactly the same about this. I don't have kids either but if I did I would let them, boy or girl, pee outside if they had to. I'd teach them to find somewhere private to go such as behind a tree or bush as I wouldn't want them to think they could drop their underwear and pee anywhere as that would cause issues as they got older. I guess daughters might need to be held up if really young and need to be taught how to squat properly if they're a bit older, unlike sons, but I would always make sure they could go if they needed to. 

I certainly wouldn't expect my daughter to hold it for hours while my son could pee wherever he liked.

On 9/1/2021 at 10:38 PM, Peevert said:

And this reminds me of something I saw about 30 years ago.  A father and his young son and daughter got out of a car, the father pointed toward the corner of a building (did not say a word) and both of the kids ran over there and peed.  I was kind of shocked, I had never seen that before (or since).  The boy unzipped and peed on the building, the girl, right next to him, squatted and peed on the ground.  I wondered if she was wearing panties, and if she was taught that it was okay to wet them in certain situations, like this one.   Now that she's a 40-something adult, I'd love to meet her and ask. 😄 

Seems strange for her to pee through her underwear. That almost removes the need to stop in the first place other than keeping the car clean. At least he was happy for them to pee outside!

22 minutes ago, weequeen said:

I must have been around 10 camping at a Girl Scout retreat...  I didn’t care since by that time I was already playing pee games with friends... 

You were playing pee games with friends at 10?! I'm impressed! What were you and your friends doing? Males or females? 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Peevert said:

You were playing pee games with friends at 10?! I'm impressed! What were you and your friends doing? Males or females? 

lol I guess pee has always been an interest! It wasn’t sexual back then, just a fun thing to do. I did some pee games with my male cousin (like, I show you mine and you show me yours - we were curious since I had no siblings and he had only an older brother), but then a couple friends that were girls. I’ve spoke about some experiences around the forum before, but it started with one friend would ask me to go to the bathroom with her and she would strip naked and then pee in the toilet and I would eventually end up doing the same, us showing each other our bits. We would also climb trees and straddle the branches and pee on them (through shorts…ouch otherwise). Another friend her and I would do our games, seeing who could hold the longest, daring each other to drink more and more and then both usually end up pissing our pants lol. Her grandma was hardly awake/around so we would pop in our clothes to wash and nobody knew. Another game was measuring in bowls who could pee the most. We’d also scoot so our bottoms were under her bed and wet her carpet. Sleepovers were always fun 👍🏻 

• Like 2
  • Hot 1

Yes, I remember not knowing it was sexual, just knowing it was fun. ❤️ 

I wish I had a friend like you at that age!  I wish I had a friend like you at this age!

About the only thing I remember was me and my teen male friends going into partially built homes and peeing in them.  Sometimes on the walls, sometimes in the bathroom (even though there was no toilet there yet) :P 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, Peevert said:

Yes, I remember not knowing it was sexual, just knowing it was fun. ❤️ 

I wish I had a friend like you at that age!  I wish I had a friend like you at this age!

About the only thing I remember was me and my teen male friends going into partially built homes and peeing in them.  Sometimes on the walls, sometimes in the bathroom (even though there was no toilet there yet) :P 

I also don't have any siblings and didn't have female friends growing up. I didn't even really have male friends until high school. And when young I was quite "boring" and reserved in terms of peeing--I hated going outside, and sat to pee rather than standing. I started standing to pee in high school, too. I wonder if I'd find pee less exciting now if I'd been able to fulfill some curiosity about it when I was younger.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, Carb0nBased said:

I wonder if I'd find pee less exciting now if I'd been able to fulfill some curiosity about it when I was younger.

That is an excellent question and one I have wondered about myself.  For one thing, as a child, I never wet the bed.  Not once.  Was I deprived of some instinctive need to pee in bed?  

Also, may she RIP, my maternal grandmother, who was responsible for much of my early years (Mom and Dad worked full time) was a piss Nazi.  Using manipulation and guilt over minor things like peeing a little in my pants.  Perhaps I didn't get to explore normal childhood wetting.  

Bottom line is I don't know why I'm a pee perv, but I wonder if these childhood issues were the cause.   Or at least a contributing factor.