BuzzFeed about peeing in the shower

https://www.buzzfeed.com/shelbyheinrich/peeing-shower-tiktok

So this article was suggested to me.

Basically, people with vaginas should not pee in the shower because:

1. It builds the habit to always pee when you hear water running.

2. Peeing standing up is not something that is natural/healthy for the pelvic muscles.

Do you think about things like that? Are you scared about the effects or do they motivate you?

It will not stop me from pissing everytime I shower or take a bath for sure.

• Hot 1

I think that is ridiculous.  First, the pelvic floor is a muscle, like any other muscle in our bodies.  If you contract or relax it, that is not damaging the muscle, it is using it.  The process of contraction and relaxation gives you control over the muscle.  It is healthy to do Kegel exercises to strengthen it because an absence of exerices, combined with childbirth and menopause, weakens the muscle.  Then, you can get urge or stress incontinence.  But there are a number if devices, including electrical stimulators, ben wa balls, and certain vibrators that are designed to help stimulate and strengthen the muscle.  

Psychologically, can you associate water with peeing?  Well, of course, we hear water sounds every time someone pees!!  Especially, using the toilet.  Maybe everyone should stop using the toilet if it is damaging to our psyche.  Lol.  

This article is just silly.  

• Agree 4

I don't quite get why peeing standing up is more strenuous on the pelvic muscles than peeing while seated. We all walk around standing up with our pelvic muscles contracted enough to hold in our urine, and when you pee, you actually relax them. 

About the water thing--that goes for both men and women, though I tend to think that adults are mostly past the point of being able to learn an association that actually builds a bladder reflex. I've heard that people who need to pee badly when they hear running water are usually those whose parents ran water to help them go when they were potty training, and at that age subconscious reflexes can be learned (as with the way any of us find it harder to pee in bed than other places even when wanting to--we built the subconscious feeling that peeing in bed is bad). But I've never heard of an adult developing such a reflexive association.

8 hours ago, gldenwetgoose said:

Somebody on sports day running faster than you - here have a medal anyway, you're all winners.  vegans being offended at my choice to eat meat and now 'there's a chance the sound of running water may make you want a wee, so eliminate the stimulus'.

How many of us when we come home needing to pee find the stimulus of putting key into lock is the very hardest moment?  or how many find themselves bursting at the petrol / gas pump even if you didn't need to go before?   Should we stop coming home, should we not buy fuel?  No of course we do those things, and we deal with it. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger...

So who's going to join me in clenching for 30 seconds before we deliberately flood the shower (in some cases after undressing and running the water) ???

I agree for sure! I mean, I've never asked my doctor is peeing in the shower is "bad" for me and I probably won't, but it isn't going to harm anyone. And the paired of peeing + running water is not going to be that effective. How many times are you in a public bathroom and someone is using the sink at the same time you're peeing? Exactly. And when I lived in a dorm where 3 others shared one bathroom, so many times I would be using the toilet when another was using the sink or taking a shower, and I don't feel the urge to piss every time I hear water running. So I'm with you on holding down and then flooding the shower! let the pee be free

(p.s. the having to pee SUPER BAD when just coming home is such a real thing!)

• Like 1
On 8/14/2021 at 11:30 AM, Dasani said:

Maybe everyone should stop using the toilet if it is damaging to our psyche.  Lol.  

This article is just silly.  

I'm all for that. Pretty sure the toilet damages more than just the psyche. Probably our biggest waste of water, as well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

After reading all the discussions above, I actually noticed that when I'm working in the office, there's a cold water dispenser about three rows of desks from mine.  When someone comes along an fills a water bottle it makes a very distinctive sound, especially as there's barely any people in the office these days.

I'm confident in reporting that the sudden sound of trickling, splashing water hasn't yet re-programmed my subconscious and caused me to have an accident at my desk.

(It has aroused quite a few fantasies though based on what it sounds like).

• Like 2

I almost always pee in the shower. Obviously I don't have a vagina and guys are used to peeing standing, but I know a few women who have mentioned that they also pee in the shower, sadly not when I am there lol

When I was growing up I we only had a bath and I used to enjoy peeing while having a bath. I like to see the colour change and I would try and pee upwards so the stream came up above the water.

• Like 1

I am not a medical professional but the idea that peeing in the shower can damage your pelvic floor seems far-fetched. I am male so peeing standing it the natural position. If I need to pee when stepping in the shower the running water increases the urge significantly and I frequently leak or full on pee... which is the desired effect. However this is purely psychological. It is the same as arriving home needing to pee and needing to rush to the toilet to keep from wetting.

What I can state undeniably after a life time of pee play, desperation and wetting excessive indulging in my fetish lead to urge incontinence.  My brain associates desperately holding and wetting with pleasure, which over time has become a problem, leaking/wetting when I don't want to. 

When this started years ago I stopped holding for fun for a while, did Kegels and the issue went away. I am seeing an urologist for an enlarged prostate, which helped me empty efficiently, but has not solved my sudden desperation /leaking/ wetting difficulty. I am not about to tell him oh yea for most of my adult life I have enjoyed holding until I wet my pants for fun.  We are trying another medication, but all that fun "accidents “has had a psychological effect I can't shake.

Guest UnabashedUser

[Moderator - The following has been merged into this thread as it refers to the same issue.]

Dr. Alicia Jeffrey-Thomas posted a video that has since gone viral with her expert opinion that urinating in the shower is not such a great idea.

Jeffrey-Thomas is a doctor of physical therapy and explained in her clip the cons of taking a tinkle in water to her 467,000 TikTok followers.

“If you pee in the shower, or turn on the faucet or turn on the shower and then sit on the toilet to pee while the shower is running, you’re creating an association in the brain between the sound of running water and having to pee,” she said.

The physician added that going number one while showering will create a subconscious connection between hearing running water and peeing. This act could possibly cause “leak issues,” adding that this is worse for those “assigned female at birth” who aren’t “designed to pee standing up.”

Read more:

https://nypost.com/2021/08/17/tiktok-doctor-says-urinating-in-the-shower-is-a-bad-idea/

Dr. Jeffrey-Thomas

I knew there was a reason why I never downloaded tik-tok.  What a load of nonsense.

When I'm desperate, the association of unzipping my jeans with being able to pee is far more likely to cause an accident than any association with running water.  😁

“If you pee in the shower, or turn on the faucet or turn on the shower and then sit on the toilet to pee while the shower is running, you’recreating an association in the brain between the sound of running water and having to pee, she said.

This could be a problem if you were on a beach… uh, no, I mean, if you were standing in a waterfall… uh, no, I mean, if you were in a public shower at the gym or the pool … uh … in some weird hypothetical situation with lots of water sloshing around but where you were completely unable to sneak a pee, losing your piss amongst the torrent.

• Agree 1
On 8/14/2021 at 12:18 PM, Naughts said:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/shelbyheinrich/peeing-shower-tiktok

So this article was suggested to me.

Basically, people with vaginas should not pee in the shower because:

1. It builds the habit to always pee when you hear water running.

2. Peeing standing up is not something that is natural/healthy for the pelvic muscles.

Do you think about things like that? Are you scared about the effects or do they motivate you?

It will not stop me from pissing everytime I shower or take a bath for sure.

really??? cause i think any of us would say if we hear water running and we have to pee its going to make it worse no matter who you are lol. and as for the 2nd one.. I can't always pee right away when I am standing. so I don't understand this lol 

• Like 1
On 8/23/2021 at 12:33 PM, UnabashedUser said:

adding that this is worse for those “assigned female at birth” who aren’t “designed to pee standing up.”

i'm designed to pee where i want, you can't tell me how to pee! (/joking)

• Like 1
  • Love 2