The Dark Web

weteric

Not necessary with the amount of content available on the public internet and I’d strongly advise against it given the amount of completely illegal material you may find there, much of which is associated with law enforcement “honeypots” 

IMHO you risk being exposed to material you really wouldn’t want to encounter and also drawing attention to yourself in a way you don’t want to. 

• Agree 3
Guest UnabashedUser
19 minutes ago, walanuk said:

Not necessary with the amount of content available on the public internet and I’d strongly advise against it given the amount of completely illegal material you may find there, much of which is associated with law enforcement “honeypots” 

IMHO you risk being exposed to material you really wouldn’t want to encounter and also drawing attention to yourself in a way you don’t want to. 

Very true. Stay well away from the "dark net".

2 minutes ago, Paulypeeps said:

Dark web is primarily defined by not being indexed by Google! (other search engines used to be available.) Dark means you cannot see it, unless you know how to look.

I figured that, I was being tongue in cheek.

13 hours ago, Paulypeeps said:

Dark web is primarily defined by not being indexed by Google! (other search engines used to be available.) Dark means you cannot see it, unless you know how to look.

Technically no.

What you defined was the deep web, which is technically different.

To summarise, if it's on the world wide web and not indexed, it is deep web, if it is online but not on the world wide web, then it could be on a dark net if the network it is on is encrypted.

So for example: your bank, surface web; your bank account account, deep web; Silk road, dark web.

• Agree 1
On 7/27/2021 at 7:31 AM, CON2H4 said:

Technically no.

What you defined was the deep web, which is technically different.

To summarise, if it's on the world wide web and not indexed, it is deep web, if it is online but not on the world wide web, then it could be on a dark net if the network it is on is encrypted.

So for example: your bank, surface web; your bank account account, deep web; Silk road, dark web.

Possibly the best explanation of the meanings of those terms I've ever seen.