Staying in shape - what do you do?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm officially in my mid-thirties, and I'll be 35 this year. (Outwardly, I'm calm, but inside, things are a bit chaotic as I now realize that I always have to do math to figure out how old I am.)

I stopped drinking about two years ago and I've seen a lot of general weight loss just because of the change in lifestyle, but I'm also realizing that after 35 it's going to be harder to maintain what little physique I have. (I've never been an adonis, but I guess I'm fortunate that although I've put on pounds in the past it never really ballooned out of control.) For a long time I was able to get away with bad eating habits and no exercise and be okay, but I'm realizing that all of that will change soon.

I'm very slowly starting to get into bodyweight exercises - things like squats, pushups, and bodyweight rows - and they're going okay. When I was younger, I never had a problem with pushups, but two years ago I could barely do one. After losing the alcohol weight, I'm now able to do a large number of reps, and so that's motivated me to keep at it and try to build on top of that small accomplishments I have. Sometimes I also think about taking up running - something like Couch to 5K - but that's something I might have to work up to, as I never liked distance running even when I was younger and in shape.

Members of Peefans - do you stay in shape? If you do, how do you stay in shape? Do any of you have plans or desires to make changes in your physique or your health? (Are any of you facing existential crises related to age? 😂) I'm curious (and unoccupied), hence the question.

I presently walk a minimum 5 miles a day and upper body weight workouts every other day. I will confirm that it IS hard to get/maintain "shape" as you get older. Now it's less about getting into shape and more about just slowing the process down.

• Agree 1

Being on the dark side of 50, it's sometimes a challenge to stay in shape. But, I regularly hike and bike, as well as kayak and row. (It seems I have a thing for water sports. 😉)

2 hours ago, glad1 said:

Being on the dark side of 50, it's sometimes a challenge to stay in shape. But, I regularly hike and bike, as well as kayak and row. (It seems I have a thing for water sports. 😉)

Those are all sports where you can pee without finding a bathroom without people objecting! 😉

• Agree 1
6 hours ago, oliver2 said:

Those are all sports where you can pee without finding a bathroom without people objecting! 😉

You catch on quickly! 😆

• Haha 1
Posted (edited)

I run. And that's about it to be honest. Not a huge amount - generally about 15-20k a week. I have been lucky so far that I don't tend to put weight on very easily (it must be all that nervous energy being used up catastrophising). But in my mid-to-late fifties, I suspect my metabolism is slowing and I'll need to eat and drink (alcohol) less, and make sure I stay active even if the running drops off. Good luck with whatever you do - and kudos for taking control.

Edited by Kupar
  • Thanks 1

I'm on my feet all day at work so that helps a lot but my favourite way of staying in shape is cycling. I used to run triathlons and half marathons and absolutely loved it but that paused over the last couple of years partly due to mental health and partly due to COVID. I'm planning on getting back into it this year so there will be some form of running, cycling or swimming every day in my future.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I am big into running but since COVId started like @Sophie I backed off after a failed attempted marathon.  I can't wait to start back up again but I also work actively on my feet since I'm at a bagel shop.  @Sophie what is your favorite running distance?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Jar351 said:

I am big into running but since COVId started like @Sophie I backed off after a failed attempted marathon.  I can't wait to start back up again but I also work actively on my feet since I'm at a bagel shop.  @Sophie what is your favorite running distance?

My favourite running distance is 5-10km. I'm not a huge long distance runner, I used to represent my school in the hurdles so I prefer running short distances, but a half marathon is a nice length to push myself a little. I wouldn't want to do it monthly though

• Agree 1

Im 26 (others posted their age so maybe it gives some context ?). Im currently not too happy with my weight but im on a downward trend for quite some time now so it will all be good. 
I am running (1 hour) on and off for about 1.5 years now and i went to the gyms before corona. Besides running i tend to be a chaotic person who can't stay still. At work im easily crushing every "x amout of steps" goal because im constantly rushing from one place to another. At home i do random stuff like pushups, planks, ... while watching videos. And when outside im jumping over hurdles, chasing my best friends kids over the playground and sometimes im just flailing around. 

I really hate to watch what i eat so i tend to be needlessly active to burn energy. 

P.s. Lets not forget the occasional: "Max can you please carry my heavy shit ? The move will be in 2 days."

• Like 2
On 6/8/2021 at 8:40 AM, Kupar said:

I run. And that's about it to be honest. Not a huge amount - generally about 15-20k a week. I have been lucky so far that I don't tend to put weight on very easily (it must be all that nervous energy being used up catastrophising). But in my mid-to-late fifties, I suspect my metabolism is slowing and I'll need to eat and drink (alcohol) less, and make sure I stay active even if the running drops off. Good luck with whatever you do - and kudos for taking control.

That seems like a huge amount to me! I'm not a runner, though. I'm feeling the same way you are - I know things are going to slow down soon and I'm already feeling my age a little bit (and my lifestyle) and it's got to change, even if it's little by little.

11 hours ago, MaxWasTaken said:

Im 26 (others posted their age so maybe it gives some context ?). Im currently not too happy with my weight but im on a downward trend for quite some time now so it will all be good. 
I am running (1 hour) on and off for about 1.5 years now and i went to the gyms before corona. Besides running i tend to be a chaotic person who can't stay still. At work im easily crushing every "x amout of steps" goal because im constantly rushing from one place to another. At home i do random stuff like pushups, planks, ... while watching videos. And when outside im jumping over hurdles, chasing my best friends kids over the playground and sometimes im just flailing around. 

I really hate to watch what i eat so i tend to be needlessly active to burn energy. 

P.s. Lets not forget the occasional: "Max can you please carry my heavy shit ? The move will be in 2 days."

Y'know, I never considered it but a pedometer might not be a bad idea. Never needed one before, but since COVID I feel like I've been a lot more sedentary than usual (I'm a software engineer, so a lot of computer time in the best case). Setting a daily step goal probably is not a bad idea with everything going on, since I'm no longer walking around the city a lot. (Used to have to walk pretty much everywhere, and I used to have to lug my music equipment everywhere also, so at least I was moving on a regular basis. COVID really messed that up.)

8 hours ago, mickymoist said:

To stay in the shape I'm in requires very little effort, if I decide to go to a different shape that will require some work 😁

Man, I'm in the same position. If I don't get away from the skinny-fat build now, I never will.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, p1ssputz said:

That seems like a huge amount to me! I'm not a runner, though. I'm feeling the same way you are - I know things are going to slow down soon and I'm already feeling my age a little bit (and my lifestyle) and it's got to change, even if it's little by little.

Y'know, I never considered it but a pedometer might not be a bad idea. Never needed one before, but since COVID I feel like I've been a lot more sedentary than usual (I'm a software engineer, so a lot of computer time in the best case). Setting a daily step goal probably is not a bad idea with everything going on, since I'm no longer walking around the city a lot. (Used to have to walk pretty much everywhere, and I used to have to lug my music equipment everywhere also, so at least I was moving on a regular basis. COVID really messed that up.)

Man, I'm in the same position. If I don't get away from the skinny-fat build now, I never will.

You coul start with a free app. They are not perfect but if you want to try if it works for you they might be enough. 
Im basically the same. My job requires me to sit a lot and due to covid i lost many opportunities for casual walks. I recently started going for long walks in the evening while listening to audio books. It helps me getting some "reading" done and gives me oportunity to have long walks. It might work for you to.

• Like 1
On 6/7/2021 at 11:05 PM, yellowii said:

If anything should be a sport, it should be how far you can piss!

Even though it doesn't have much effect on overall fitness, it's one of my favorite sports. I've been known to host informal competitions.

This is one game where there are no losers. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, glad1 said:

Even though it doesn't have much effect on overall fitness, it's one of my favorite sports. I've been known to host informal competitions.

This is one game where there are no losers. 🤣

Everyone orgasms!

On 6/9/2021 at 9:32 AM, MaxWasTaken said:

You coul start with a free app. They are not perfect but if you want to try if it works for you they might be enough. 
Im basically the same. My job requires me to sit a lot and due to covid i lost many opportunities for casual walks. I recently started going for long walks in the evening while listening to audio books. It helps me getting some "reading" done and gives me oportunity to have long walks. It might work for you to.

This is not a bad idea. I hadn't thought about combining activities like that - I'm studying Chinese and Spanish, and something like this could be a great opportunity for immersion and relaxation. Never really got into the podcast thing, but maybe this is a good way also, with some wireless headphones or something.

I read somewhere else that some people use long walks as a time to catch up with other people via phone calls. I'm not so big into doing this myself, but I guess it's another option.

I suppose that when I'm walking, I just like to be walking, and I like to get lost in my own thoughts (which isn't always a good thing). But maybe incorporating audiobooks or language stuff or something else could start to get me more motivated to get into running. I just need to make walking a structured, daily habit (since I'm not out and about anymore due to COVID) and I think that once I can do that I'll be able to move on to developing a running habit.

1 minute ago, p1ssputz said:

This is not a bad idea. I hadn't thought about combining activities like that - I'm studying Chinese and Spanish, and something like this could be a great opportunity for immersion and relaxation. Never really got into the podcast thing, but maybe this is a good way also, with some wireless headphones or something.

I read somewhere else that some people use long walks as a time to catch up with other people via phone calls. I'm not so big into doing this myself, but I guess it's another option.

I suppose that when I'm walking, I just like to be walking, and I like to get lost in my own thoughts (which isn't always a good thing). But maybe incorporating audiobooks or language stuff or something else could start to get me more motivated to get into running. I just need to make walking a structured, daily habit (since I'm not out and about anymore due to COVID) and I think that once I can do that I'll be able to move on to developing a running habit.

Sometimes i don't pay attention to the audio books im listening to and just drift off to think about random stuff. It helps me get in a creative mood. 
I can't do audio books while running tho. I need some good music to keep my mood up. 

9 hours ago, p1ssputz said:

I suppose that when I'm walking, I just like to be walking, and I like to get lost in my own thoughts (which isn't always a good thing).

Me too. I have solved many work and personal problems on long walks, and on runs. I have drafted stories and correspondence in my head, made big decisions and had new ideas.

My wife, on the other hand, catches up with podcasts, and loves the opportunity a walk gives her to do that. 

Each to their own 🙂.