I have completely forgotten how post a status update on my profile (neither can I find information about how to do it). Could someone remind me please? It's not urgent.

Thanks! 

25 minutes ago, gldenwetgoose said:

There is a ‘toggle’ within your profile which allows it (or not). Possibly that is off - I’ll check and reset it for you as soon as I’m back on a proper screen. 

Yes - I remember I think that the toggle used to be near the top of the "edit profile" page, and was something that a member could switch, but it's not there any more. I'm guessing the default maybe to not allow status updates, and the ability to switch it on is now reserved for staff, so it's 'on request'.

Exactly, I am trialling removing the status updates.

The main reason is that it's difficult to moderate them - and so new users who don't really understand the community rules yet can easily post on people's profiles (especially the women here) and it goes unnoticed. 

The other reason was simply that I didn't think many people really used them at all. After all, if you wanted to share something with everyone, you'd probably do it on the forums or live chat. And if you wanted to share something with someone in particular, you'd probably PM them.

Very happy to turn statuses back on for certain people if they want them, but I turned it off several weeks ago and this is the first time I've seen it mentioned, so I'm guessing for most people it's not been a big loss. 😂

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Admin said:

Exactly, I am trialling removing the status updates.

The main reason is that it's difficult to moderate them - and so new users who don't really understand the community rules yet can easily post on people's profiles (especially the women here) and it goes unnoticed. 

The other reason was simply that I didn't think many people really used them at all. After all, if you wanted to share something with everyone, you'd probably do it on the forums or live chat. And if you wanted to share something with someone in particular, you'd probably PM them.

Very happy to turn statuses back on for certain people if they want them, but I turned it off several weeks ago and this is the first time I've seen it mentioned, so I'm guessing for most people it's not been a big loss. 😂

That explains it. I am happy to go without that feature, especially if the benefit is to help avoid inappropriate posts that would push the boundaries of the site's wonderful ethos.

I know one person at least that used it quite frequently and she might miss it. But I guess she'll be in touch when she realises she can't use it any more. Thanks for the explanation 🙂