Are Moms More Open-minded Than Their Sons Today?

I have two boys and they use the toilet when one is available, if we are out and about and they are desperate then I encourage them to find a tree or bush to use to save us having to rush home. They are usually fine with this if they really need it and don’t want to go home but only if no one can see them. They only pee outside if a toilet is not an option. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Peewee123 said:

I have two boys and they use the toilet when one is available, if we are out and about and they are desperate then I encourage them to find a tree or bush to use to save us having to rush home. They are usually fine with this if they really need it and don’t want to go home but only if no one can see them. They only pee outside if a toilet is not an option. 

Maybe you need to take them more places where a toilet isn't an option. It also helps in their learning when mom sets a good example.

On 9/20/2021 at 3:24 PM, glad1 said:

Maybe you need to take them more places where a toilet isn't an option. It also helps in their learning when mom sets a good example.

There’s “the toilet’s not an option”, and then there are way more situations where the toilet is an option, but an inconvenient one, and it’s much quicker and easier to do it somewhere else…

• Like 1
6 hours ago, oliver2 said:

There’s “the toilet’s not an option”, and then there are way more situations where the toilet is an option, but an inconvenient one, and it’s much quicker and easier to do it somewhere else…

Also using the toilet is sooooo boring and conformist. Be a rebel, live a little!

8 hours ago, oliver2 said:

I've never taken boys to a toilet, I'll either leave them to choose a place to go on their own or I'll advise them where to do.  As it's been said, it's quicker, easier and good for boys to become confident doing it elsewhere. There will be times when boys will be expected to piss in public and they need to learn to become comfortable with doing so.

• Love 1

I would say that in my country it is quite individual how it works in different families.  But most people use some common sense and adapt their peeing habits to the circumstances. Our family has always been pretty much into outdoor sports and hiking, so there are many situations where peeing outside is a necessity, not a choice.

Most people don't make too much fuss about letting young children pee outside. Again, it's often a necessity, not a choice, because young children can't hold it for very long.
But it's normal to try a little harder to hide from the sights of public as you get older.

A mother letting a 3-year-old pee at a bus stop is something different than a teenager peeing in that spot.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Love 1
  • 1 month later...
On 9/22/2021 at 7:58 AM, beachmom said:

I've never taken boys to a toilet, I'll either leave them to choose a place to go on their own or I'll advise them where to do.  As it's been said, it's quicker, easier and good for boys to become confident doing it elsewhere. There will be times when boys will be expected to piss in public and they need to learn to become comfortable with doing so.

What do you mean with “be expected to piss in public”? 
as someone who is also quite shy do to so in public and or social situations, I wonder whether there are some situations where I might have been obvious not to do so…

• Love 1
On 9/22/2021 at 6:58 AM, beachmom said:

Never? Even if you are stood next to the toilet block or are in a building? Or do you mean if you are somewhere outdoors with a toilet a walk away and there's a tree they can go on so they use that instead?

What about girls? Would you feel the same or would you be more inclined to find them a toilet?

Edited by littlebladder
  • Like 1

I have 2 sons and Ive always let my sons go in public but if there is a toilet, that’s always the first option. If they are really desperate and the toilet is unavailable or inconvenient, I’ll help make sure they can’t be seen wherever they are peeing. I don’t want to make this the first option because god forbid you aren’t concealed good enough you good get a ticket or even arrested. But if they really have to go, then I’m not going to make them suffer. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • 3 months later...
On 10/23/2021 at 1:51 PM, JohnnyS said:

What do you mean with “be expected to piss in public”? 
as someone who is also quite shy do to so in public and or social situations, I wonder whether there are some situations where I might have been obvious not to do so…

There are always situations where it's common practice for guys to pee outside and where it would be rather embarrassing if my boys were to insist upon using a toilet. Some examples would be when friends or family is having a bonfire party out back, when we're camping, hiking, boating or along the river. When the boys are swimming in a backyard pool or just out back playing. For those who work in the landscape or construction business, no one wants them to track into our homes.

• Like 2
On 10/25/2021 at 6:52 PM, littlebladder said:

Never? Even if you are stood next to the toilet block or are in a building? Or do you mean if you are somewhere outdoors with a toilet a walk away and there's a tree they can go on so they use that instead?

What about girls? Would you feel the same or would you be more inclined to find them a toilet?

So if we're standing in front of a stores restrooms it's not really taking them to restrooms, as they're already there, but anytime a restroom isn't in site and there's any possible place closer the boys could possibly do it, they're expected to.

• Like 1
On 9/20/2021 at 7:16 AM, Peewee123 said:

You need to encourage them more often. Most boys want to pee in public, but are for some reason of the opinion their moms would object to them doing so. Allowing them to do so occasionally when there's no other choice is completely different than encouraging them all the time. Boys need to become confident.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Hi . 

My mom is defo 50/50 on this. She would rather I didnt have to pee in public but would let/make me if it was convinient and did not add a lot of time onto a busy schedule if we went looking for a toilet.

As long as i was moderately covered to an extent she would let me pee away.

I was raised primarily by my single mom and she never showed me how to pee outside(my gpa did in his garage) but she has def seen me peeing multiple times through the years and she’s always encouraged me to pee if I need to. 

• Like 1

In my observation, there are so many factors - like urban / rural, class, religion... - influencing this, that it is hard to pin down any evolution over time. Generally, our world is getting more urban, more densely populated. People are more risk averse, keeping their kids under stricter control. Men peeing freely against a wall is not appreciated in an urban setting and mostly only acceptable during hours when kids should be in bed. So I guess there is pretty little opportunity to pee outside for most kids nowadays.

Nevertheless, I have observed younger kids peeing freely in the park around the playground. Parents don't mind and might even encourage it. Haven't seen kids insisting on using a toilet - but as a casual onlooker I might not be the best observer in this respect. I once happened to be taking care for a young girl and she needed to pee quarter of an hour from the next facilities, so I told her to go behind a rock. I tried to make sure she was alright without getting too involved - it felt weird as a man to be this close to a girl peeing. When picking up her daughter, the mom was rather surprised I didn't hold her (she had expected I'd automatically do that) and her daughter had managed to go alone without making a mess. I guess all the man-bashing and talk about pedophile perverts has got me scared beyond reason about being close to kids... But overall, people around here seem to be fine with kids going behind the bushes (not in front!), and kids seem to be fine doing so.

• Love 2