Gender Neutral Bathrooms?

We were having a discussion about this in the office recently.  The social progressives in the group were in favour of only one bathroom in a commercial premises, for all genders, but I'm thinking that most women don't want to pee with a guy in the next cubicle - even if he isn't a pervert who hangs around the bathroom door waiting for a hot woman to enter, so he can take the next cubicle and aurally perve - or worse.  Imagine the cameras peeping over the top of the cubicles.  When I brought up that possibility, some people in the group - including a woman - openly guffawed and said it was a non issue.  

When we renovated our office we only had space for one staff bathroom, with two cubicles.  It turned out there''s a paragraph in the building code that says you need to have full floor-ceiling walls and door on cubicles in that scenario, which makes sense.

• Like 1

Everyone seems to get excited over the prospect of gender neutral bathrooms - either in our case the tantalising prospect of what that may bring, or in the case of other parts of society the fear of what could be.

I think people do imaging they'll be sitting inches away from someone of the opposite sex, imagining spy holes, views through cracks or over partitions.  Like the policy makers have never thought of that...  Likewise I can't say I've ever encountered anything like that - more likely are separate brick walled bathroom cubicles which are gender neutral, but offer complete privacy.

• Agree 3

I have actually seen quite a few gender neutral bathrooms.  The vast majority of them are more like a 1/2-bath one would see / find in a house (small square room with a toilet and a sink and a locking door) than the typical public restroom (large rectangular room with rows of stalls and multiple sinks).

• Agree 2

complete non-issue to me. i'm an adult with basic control of my sexual feelings and want others around me to feel comfortable. I also think it is a more logical way to do bathrooms and architecture in general. cut the number of communal bathrooms in half, build a few more private locking single restrooms in their place for folks who need that for comfort/space/ability/childcare/etc reasons. 

• Agree 1
2 hours ago, UnabashedUser said:

Three words: coat hook cameras

image.png.fcb7ab208d597026382cdfc89cc9a38d.png

I honestly had never even considered the coat hook being used as a camera. It's amazing the things that slip past your brain even though we all know the whole world is full of surveillance cameras now. Sometimes my own lack of awareness surprises me...

Edited by Butterflylover70
3 hours ago, Butterflylover70 said:

I honestly had never even considered the coat hook being used as a camera. It's amazing the things that slip past your brain even though we all know the whole world is full of surveillance cameras now. Sometimes my own lack of awareness surprises me...

So put a coat over the hook LOL

• Haha 1

Since thinking about this, I've remembered two failed attempts at the 'universal bathroom'

One was a big music festival in the 90's or maybe early 2000's where they handed out free cardboard chutes, so women could use the men's urinals.  Within a couple of hours they were abandoned and the genders were strictly separated again, but the promoter never publically said what had happened.

The other was a 100+ year old pub I used to go to.  The men's bathroom was huge, with maybe 12 urinals and 4 cubicles, but the women's was much smaller.  On St Pat's day they put on trad Irish bands and the place would be packed out all day.  By about 10PM there was a line of women stretching from inside the men's room, out the door, to use the cubicles.  So standing at the urinal, you had maybe 8 or 10 women standing right behind you.  I thought it was quite hot, but I'm sure a lot of guys got pee shy, which gets bloody painful.  This happened every year but I guess there were complaints because eventually the council forced them to put in a row of porta-loos outside.

• Like 1
  • Hot 1

I had a cleaning business for several years. Men’s toilets always stank so much worse than the ladies. They were putrid! They took a lot of cleaning. I thought men had terrible aim, but after reading posts in here, I realise that aim is deliberate! I don’t know that I’d want to use toilets like that. So I’d rather keep them separate and keep using the ladies.
Tell you what, though, if I ever start pissing all over public bathrooms, I’ve already done my penance!!!

• Haha 3
34 minutes ago, MyPee said:

I had a cleaning business for several years. Men’s toilets always stank so much worse than the ladies. They were putrid! They took a lot of cleaning. I thought men had terrible aim, but after reading posts in here, I realise that aim is deliberate! I don’t know that I’d want to use toilets like that. So I’d rather keep them separate and keep using the ladies.
Tell you what, though, if I ever start pissing all over public bathrooms, I’ve already done my penance!!!

Interesting!  My sister was once a cleaner, and she said the women's were worse.  Depends on where you're cleaning I guess.

Don't be too hard on guys for their aim - the penis doesn't have a trigger action, its flow varies and drips are inevitable.  Then there's the 'forked pee'- and if you have a semi, that's a whole 'nother hazard altogether.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, DrownMeQuick said:

Interesting!  My sister was once a cleaner, and she said the women's were worse.  Depends on where you're cleaning I guess.

Don't be too hard on guys for their aim - the penis doesn't have a trigger action, its flow varies and drips are inevitable.  Then there's the 'forked pee'- and if you have a semi, that's a whole 'nother hazard altogether.

Hmmm. Well I did mostly office cleaning at printers, manufacturers, package delivery companies, places like that. Maybe more men than women at those places, so the men's toilets got more use. 
I guess that’s true about the aim. I hadn’t really thought of that. My brothers were terrible at it. I thought they peed on the seat deliberately! My Mum made them use the outside toilet because she was sick of finding the wet seat in our bathroom.
oh well, maybe I won’t feel so bad if I try to pee standing up, and miss! 🤣 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, MyPee said:

Hmmm. Well I did mostly office cleaning at printers, manufacturers, package delivery companies, places like that. Maybe more men than women at those places, so the men's toilets got more use. 
I guess that’s true about the aim. I hadn’t really thought of that. My brothers were terrible at it. I thought they peed on the seat deliberately! My Mum made them use the outside toilet because she was sick of finding the wet seat in our bathroom.
oh well, maybe I won’t feel so bad if I try to pee standing up, and miss! 🤣 

Peeing on the seat is a completely different story, that's just too lazy to lift it.  They should forfeit their penis.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1
On 2/27/2021 at 11:02 AM, Bacardi said:

Family bathrooms and gender neutral bathrooms don't really bother me. Ive never had any negative experiences, but you're right in thinking if I found cameras and spy holes all over the place and creepy men I'd avoid them. Thankfully, I'm inclined to believe that the majority of the male population isn't like that, and if they are then they have their own problems.

Yeah, and half of those men don't even care about watching women pee, because they're gay or asexual. 

On 2/28/2021 at 3:02 AM, Bacardi said:

Family bathrooms and gender neutral bathrooms don't really bother me. Ive never had any negative experiences, but you're right in thinking if I found cameras and spy holes all over the place and creepy men I'd avoid them. Thankfully, I'm inclined to believe that the majority of the male population isn't like that, and if they are then they have their own problems.

It's not the majority of the population you have to worry about.  If all genders had access to the same cubicles they'd be a honeypot for creeps, perverts....and pee fetishists.  I just can't see it working.