Hello everyone!

We've just had a fairly large site update, which will mean a lot of good things, but inevitably may mean a few temporary bugs or problems.

Please use this thread to report anything (no matter how minor) that isn't working properly - for example any errors you get, or anything that seems to be missing. 

Thanks for your patience!  

• Thanks 1

CSS in chat needs tweaking. It's the same issue that has always plauged the chat when using a theme 

Just in case it isn't clear by my screenshot, I'm talking about the two white bars. The top one is the chat announcement and the other is a username mention. 

Screenshot_20210205-173259.png

• Agree 1
  • Love 1

The above issue has been fixed, but for anyone who didn't see my message in the chat... If you click the three lines at top of chatbox, you can change the 'skin' of the chatbox as well to find the colour balance you prefer. On different themes, different chat skins may look better, so a bit of trial and error may be needed. 

Any other colour issues anyone spots, please just let me know 🙂 

Hi. The chatbox button on Android obscures the two rightmost buttons on the otherwise very useful tray. The ones I can't get at are messages and a menu (I think; I can't see it all). Using Chrome mobile browser on Android / Moto G6.

Screenshot_20210205-191323.png

Edited by Kupar
Added screenshot
10 minutes ago, Kupar said:

Hi. The chatbox button on Android obscures the two rightmost buttons on the otherwise very useful tray. The ones I can't get at are messages and a menu (I think; I can't see it all). Using Chrome mobile browser on Android / Moto G6.

Screenshot_20210205-191323.png

Indeed, I have the same on mobile. However you CAN press the menu, you just have to be very precise to click the dots instead of the 'live chat' box.

However if people think it's too untidy, I can remove either the 'live chat' bubble (on mobile only of course), or remove the 5 icon bar at the bottom (that has shortcut to 'home', 'unread', 'notifications' and (if you're careful where you click) 'messages' and 'menu').

My instinct was that since the menu button is still clickable if you click just above the live chat part, it would be nice to have both. But if people aren't liking that, very happy to switch.

What's your thoughts @Kupar?

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Admin said:

Indeed, I have the same on mobile. However you CAN press the menu, you just have to be very precise to click the dots instead of the 'live chat' box.

However if people think it's too untidy, I can remove either the 'live chat' bubble (on mobile only of course), or remove the 5 icon bar at the bottom (that has shortcut to 'home', 'unread', 'notifications' and (if you're careful where you click) 'messages' and 'menu').

My instinct was that since the menu button is still clickable if you click just above the live chat part, it would be nice to have both. But if people aren't liking that, very happy to switch.

What's your thoughts @Kupar?

Both features are hugely useful. Let's keep them, and I will sharpen my right index finger 🙂

• Haha 1
Just now, Kupar said:

Both features are hugely useful. Let's keep them, and I will sharpen my right index finger 🙂

There will no doubt be a few mis-clicks along the way, but with enough practice soon our click accuracy is going to incredible. 

• Haha 1

Also just to add to that... if anyone is finding it really awkward to press the menu button on mobile using the new buttons (because of the slight overlap with live chat), remember if you scroll to the top of the page it'll be there like it always was - this is just there for 'quick access'. 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Kupar said:

Can I just check that the 1-2-1 chat conversation feature is currently still out and will return in due course? I can't access it as of Sat 6 Feb, UK 7:00am. Thanks!

Correct. Sorry about that, will be back soon.

Normal PM's working as usual though. 

• Thanks 1
On 2/6/2021 at 4:50 PM, Girllikespee said:

Honestly I find it very clunky to tap around the chat button, but I do like the bar at the bottom of the screen. Maybe an option to turn off the live chat button? I personally could do without it as I never use the chat, but I know some others who do may object to it's removal entirely.

I am trialling hiding the chat button on mobiles. (Still there on tablets + desktop).

It's still accessible on the main page, and the navigation bar (just click the 3 dots to bring up full menu). 

I know for some people this may be an unpopular decision, but since only a minority of users actually use chat, I feel like the sticky menu at the bottom is far more useful to 95% of users.

I hope soon to be able to integrate chat within the sticky menu perhaps, so we get the best of both worlds. 

Open to feedback on this change. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Admin said:

I am trialling hiding the chat button on mobiles. (Still there on tablets + desktop).

It's still accessible on the main page, and the navigation bar (just click the 3 dots to bring up full menu). 

I know for some people this may be an unpopular decision, but since only a minority of users actually use chat, I feel like the sticky menu at the bottom is far more useful to 95% of users.

I hope soon to be able to integrate chat within the sticky menu perhaps, so we get the best of both worlds. 

I may be the exception - in being one of the subset who use chat - although I do find I don't really use the 'notifications' button on the mobile bar (and it is also available via the top right mobile button too).

So speaking solely for myself, having a bottom menu bar of 'Forums    Notifications       Messages      LiveChat    -  -  - '   would work for me.   Don't know about anyone else.   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
8 minutes ago, Admin said:

I'll see how I get on over the next few days and let you know 🙂 thanks for being open to suggestions. And I know you can't please everyone all the time!

• Like 1

Quick question for @Admin - more out of curiousity, I really don't want to create a whole mountain of tech problems...

A few people have been discussing the theme choices and that they don't 'stick' if using incognito browsing.  I'm ok with that, my choice to go incognito and if that means I can't store a screen preferences cookie then so be it. Really not a big issue for me. 

However, clearly there is a load of information which is stored in my member profile - for example the list of previously visited posts (I guess) so that the new posts can be displayed, members I follow and the like.  So that being the case would it be possible to have the colour preferences stored as part of the member profile too such that it would apply when logging on to any device?   I can well imagine the answer being that it's implemented in coding a layer or two down below the level that can be changed - and again I'm ok with that...  Just curiosity.

8 minutes ago, gldenwetgoose said:

Quick question for @Admin - more out of curiousity, I really don't want to create a whole mountain of tech problems...

A few people have been discussing the theme choices and that they don't 'stick' if using incognito browsing.  I'm ok with that, my choice to go incognito and if that means I can't store a screen preferences cookie then so be it. Really not a big issue for me. 

However, clearly there is a load of information which is stored in my member profile - for example the list of previously visited posts (I guess) so that the new posts can be displayed, members I follow and the like.  So that being the case would it be possible to have the colour preferences stored as part of the member profile too such that it would apply when logging on to any device?   I can well imagine the answer being that it's implemented in coding a layer or two down below the level that can be changed - and again I'm ok with that...  Just curiosity.

Yes you're right that would be better, but you're also right it's not easily done.

Your choice of light or dark mode SHOULD save at a user level, regardless of incognito / clearing cookies, as they're 2 different templates. 

But the colour customisation isn't switching to a whole new template.

I'm going to look if there's a way to do save it as a user setting though, as I agree it would be better.

In the meantime, if you are using incognito, perhaps you can use this as a chance to try out some different ones whenever you visit the site. For me personally I've actually preferred switching things up rather than sticking with the same one every day. 

I'm also happy to set the defaults as whichever ones are most popular, although it sounds like there are going to be supporters for all the different options rather than one main candidate. 

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Admin said:

Hi @Admin. I thought I was fine with the hiding of the chat button on mobiles. But one issue: I *think* that while you can get to the live public chat from a mobile (just needs one extra click on the "... more" button), there's no way to get to the 121 conversations on a mobile. Is that right? If so, that's a real shame.

7 minutes ago, Kupar said:

Hi @Admin. I thought I was fine with the hiding of the chat button on mobiles. But one issue: I *think* that while you can get to the live public chat from a mobile (just needs one extra click on the "... more" button), there's no way to get to the 121 conversations on a mobile. Is that right? If so, that's a real shame.

That’s a good point - and on the main site too the gold ‘rooms’ don’t show on the Live Chat page (Home > Chatbox) which could be a sensible place for them. 

4BF16CB5-ADA1-48A1-88B5-4775AD2F1839.png

It does maybe depends on your mobile...  on iPhone iOS the problem isn’t always there.

Safari has a browser navigation bar which hides and reappears depending what you’re doing.  When it’s hidden the PF page shows up fine, when the Safari bar is visible the PF chat obscures the three dots. 

So, on iOS that seems ok to me and does allow all chat options (inc 1-2-1).

A98368EF-A2B7-4C3F-A4DA-4B8C232BE62A.jpegBADA10E0-EA26-4BCA-9537-519B17F92D75.jpeg

Ah. OK. Doesn't seem to work like that with Android with Chrome browser (i.e., the browser navigation bar doesn't disappear) for me whatever I'm doing, so the chat button can't sink lower down the screen. (And turning the phone through 90 degrees doesn't help either). But on Firefox, the chat button disappears after a few seconds, revealing the rest of the tool bar.

Ok ladies and gents, here's where we're at after an exhausting afternoon of trial and error:

• On small devices (e.g. mobiles and small tablets), the menu bar at the bottom will display by default. If you click 'more' (3 dots) you can then select 'live chat' to go to the main live chat page.
  • On large devices (e.g. large tablets and desktops) the chatbox toggle will be in the bottom right corner like it always has and you will have a small menu that sticks to the top of the screen.

Now... what about the small minority who regularly use live chat on small devices? (or those who just don't want the menu at the bottom) 

• If you go to the bottom left hand corner of any page of PeeFans, press 'Theme', and select "PeeFans Main Theme Light [Live Chat On Mobile]" you should get your wish.  

Inevitably there may be a few bugs with this, so please do let me know if anything doesn't seem quite right.

I realise this still isn't quite pleasing everyone, but the complexity of creating and managing endless variations of options just is not realistic. I hope this new setup now at least gives a reasonable amount of flexibility.

Or ideally, just view PeeFans on a large screen and then you'll have it all! 😄 

@Kupar @gldenwetgoose @Sophie @Girllikespee thoughts? (Please everyone feel free to comment, I'm just tagging those who've already posted here about it)

• Love 1